Bower & Wilkins 802 Rebuild - RIP

Nostalgic716

Jun 28, 2023
Hello audio world.

My uncle recently passed and left me a set of B&W 802 Matrix Series 3 in the original boxes with stands and a Threshold SA4 Amp. Sparing the long story, the speakers were disassembled and I only have 3 of the 4 ZZ8073 woofers. As my username suggests, I do not want to replace these with modern speakers and would like to get them going again as a nod to his life (I still have and use the JBL 4312 Monitors he gave me as a graduation present eons ago).

My musical enjoyment has been "residential" with my JBL's hooked up to a meager Sony receiver. Hi-Fi is a new world to me. My question is 1) if I cannot find a replacement ZZ8073 speaker, has anyone put in a different set of woofers (or keep two original and 2 of something else)? I realize this is not B&W purist, but it may be the only option I have to honor his legacy 2) Does anyone have an old ZZ8073 lying around? 3) Is there any upgrade I should consider to the crossover/circuitry if so, who can do it? Lastly, 4) with the little bit of cash he left me should I look to use the Threshold Amp or buy something newer to power these speakers? Budget would just be enough to buy a Parasound A21 or similar.

Sorry if this is not the right place for this posting. I put in B&W Forum in a search and this site was the first that popped up. Kudos to site-optimization.

Thanks in advance,

Nostalgic716

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hello,

I helped a peron source a midrange driver for the B&W N802 by contacting the dealer. Dealers have a list of parts that B&W still has available to purchase. They may have a woofer (or 4) that you could purchase. You just need to ask.

As far as upgrading the crossover I would contact a company called GR Research. You can see their youtube stuff where they upgrade speakers all the time. Even if you just swapped part for part in the crossover with upgraded parts it is going to be a large sonic upgrade. With the age of the Matrix 802 I can guarantee that the caps are out of spec at this point.

I would keep the Threshold vs. buying a Parasound.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) With the age of the Matrix 802 I can guarantee that the caps are out of spec at this point. (...)

Long ago I helped a friend owning the 802 matrix - the bipolar electrolytic capacitors should be replaced. All else is optional.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hello audio world.

My uncle recently passed and left me a set of B&W 802 Matrix Series 3 in the original boxes with stands and a Threshold SA4 Amp. Sparing the long story, the speakers were disassembled and I only have 3 of the 4 ZZ8073 woofers. As my username suggests, I do not want to replace these with modern speakers and would like to get them going again as a nod to his life (I still have and use the JBL 4312 Monitors he gave me as a graduation present eons ago).

My musical enjoyment has been "residential" with my JBL's hooked up to a meager Sony receiver. Hi-Fi is a new world to me. My question is 1) if I cannot find a replacement ZZ8073 speaker, has anyone put in a different set of woofers (or keep two original and 2 of something else)? I realize this is not B&W purist, but it may be the only option I have to honor his legacy 2) Does anyone have an old ZZ8073 lying around? 3) Is there any upgrade I should consider to the crossover/circuitry if so, who can do it? Lastly, 4) with the little bit of cash he left me should I look to use the Threshold Amp or buy something newer to power these speakers? Budget would just be enough to buy a Parasound A21 or similar.

Sorry if this is not the right place for this posting. I put in B&W Forum in a search and this site was the first that popped up. Kudos to site-optimization.

Thanks in advance,

Nostalgic716
Xover check itwhether the values are correct.
Call B&W Service in Halle, Germany, maybe they can get you a new pair of woofers. very nice helpful people.
change the cement resistors too midrange 3.3 ohm 10 watt mills are pretty good better voice and details

bw_xover.gif
B&W service

Nostalgic716

Jun 28, 2023
Amazing! Thank you so much audio community. I assumed (bad on me) that when B&W website says they have no inventory this means no inventory. I never thought dealers may have hoarded some NOS for customers.

I am very, very grateful. This means the world to me and is a great nod to my uncle. Thank you.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

InfigoAudio

Industry Expert
Jun 14, 2022
Kelowna, BC, Canada
www.infigoaudio.com
Long ago I helped a friend owning the 802 matrix - the bipolar electrolytic capacitors should be replaced. All else is optional.

YES! I have a set of the exact same speakers here too as backup pair, you MUST replace those bipolar crapacitors for actual good ones (polypropylene xover caps or the likes that are usually 4 ~ 10 times the size)! They drove me bipolar lol

Cheers, Hans.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing