CES News Flash

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Steve, no Avalon rooms?

No, saw Luciene though at the show and they had decided not to go since they had just spent a good sum of money expanding the factory last year :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
While I have seen it twice in other shows, this time I could not even go in his room today. The door was closed and locked!!! How the heck do these people do business this way???

No what happened was that Dan's router went down today and he couldn't demo :( Probably should have put a note though on the door gone fishing :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You can pick up a router a the corner 7-11 these days. Was the really the reason he closed shop?

I think so. Rich and I were in his room and he was desperately trying to get the router working. Suspect though problem wasn't the router but the Venetian's Wifi/internet because heard it was overloaded by the number of people at CES (same happened at RMAF a year ago).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I think so. Rich and I were in his room and he was desperately trying to get the router working. Suspect though problem wasn't the router but the Venetian's Wifi/internet because heard it was overloaded by the number of people at CES (same happened at RMAF a year ago).

Didn't know turntables and reel to reels needed routers!!:p

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
No, saw Luciene though at the show and they had decided not to go since they had just spent a good sum of money expanding the factory last year :)

The company wasn't there but there were several rooms with small Avalons on static display at the entrance

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Thank you Doc, Myles and others at the show for all the info and comments. We are checking it by the hour from 'down under' and enjoying every bit. You are clearly the media leaders for high-end audio reporting, and not getting paid for it either! Your passion to quench our curiosity is appreciated by all. Thanks and keep it coming.
Best,
Neville

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Another speaker we heard was Perfect 8 which is a small $150K speaker with the drivers in plexiglass and no enclosure. Good but not great. Apparently RH and JV gave it contender for Best In Show. Not sure what they were smoking before listening and $150 K. ????

Lol :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Just left the convention floor. Saw the LG 3D OLED. if you're going to see it wear diapers because you'll need it. I have said many times I am not a fan of 3D. Until now. All of 4mm thick and color that is jaw dropping. The 3D was like nothing I have ever seen. No motion artifacts and off axis 3D that can be seen way off to the side. Sony and Samsung had their OLED. Both very good but the LG clearly was the best video product there

Hope you stole it for me, doc. :b

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Steve, Nothing about the Scaena or the Nola rooms?
How about all the new DAC's?

Steve Williams

I spent Vout 1/2 hour in the scaena room. They had the smaller series (12 drivers per side) and the huge subs in static display in the front if the room. It sounded very good one thing which bothered me about their set up was with the ribbon tweeters to the inside rather than the outside as I feel it should be however the reps said definitely not. Any thoughts Elliott when you set them up.

BTW the subs are huge and look like the front of a jet plane. If I would buy the speaker I would use different subs. I passed Nola several times but no music coming from the room so didn't go in

Steve Williams

Ian leaving for the airport soon so I'll try to add more thoughts later. One last caveat. We spent the longest time in the Audio Research room with the Sonus Faber Aida during both days. There is no question thT "for my ears" the Best In Show was that room. Absolutely mesmerizing. As I also said I would have loved to have heard the XLF. I did bump into my local dealer at Philip O'Hanlon's reception on Wed evening. He told me he had a pair of XLF on order and soon to be delivered. He has also already sold a pair due for delivery in the next week.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Steve,

Did Shunyata display their new cables in the Audio Research room?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I spent Vout 1/2 hour in the scaena room. They had the smaller series (12 drivers per side) and the huge subs in static display in the front if the room. It sounded very good one thing which bothered me about their set up was with the ribbon tweeters to the inside rather than the outside as I feel it should be however the reps said definitely not. Any thoughts Elliott when you set them up.

BTW the subs are huge and look like the front of a jet plane. If I would buy the speaker I would use different subs. I passed Nola several times but no music coming from the room so didn't go in

I was told that they were showing a new speaker with a new ribbon tweeter. I am not sure of the spelling of what they call it but something like Elysee. The woofers I don't know if there was a change but they are usually large 18 inch mounted in a cylinder type enclosure. If they showed 4 woofer set up they are usually stacked two on top of two.
Every time I have heard them it was with tweeters inside. In my memeory almost all the time this is how speakers are set up, like Magnepans, Nola's etc. This in my experience provides the best result in imaging and image sizes.

Steve Williams

I have also failed to once again laud Philip and his On A Higher Note company. His Vivid Giya speakers never cease to amaze me. These are truly wonderful speakers and worthy of audition

I also met the developer of the reel to reel based on a Revox frame. Very nice man. I asked him to have a look at WBF and become a member as we have so many tape heads here. He said he would

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing