CES News Flash

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
Steve, Did you get a chance to here the BSGT QOL, or the MBL 101E's driven by the Cat tube monos, or the Widea Labs Asunder Music Server?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Great news on the SFs, Steve. If I was in the market for a 6-figure speaker, that would be my first audition.

Have heard great things about Hansen, just pretty price prohibitive compared to competitors such as Wilson/Magico made in the states. Resale is terrible on them.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Great news on the SFs, Steve. If I was in the market for a 6-figure speaker, that would be my first audition.

Have heard great things about Hansen, just pretty price prohibitive compared to competitors such as Wilson/Magico made in the states. Resale is terrible on them.

They're made here and I have yet to find a dealer that carries them....distribution certainly is an issue. Not that I'm in the market .......my $2,000 Totem Sttafs will have to suffice.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I think that Nola is also using those amps with the Baby Grand's 2. Did you hear them and did you hear the new Scaena?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Steve, how can you be in Las Vegas and concentrate on all the new Audio/Video stuff that they have to offer, and at the same time post here?
Do you have a high level of stamina? :b

Do you sleep at night so you are totally fresh and ready for the next day in your full front assault from your most important senses; vision & audition?

And how's the smell on them CES floors?
Food taste good?
Interesting things to touch? Like... :b

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I have heard the Hansen Prince and compared to Rockport Merak Sheritan II and YG Acoustics Ref...Hansen was a very solid performer. But relative to the other 2, in that room and in that system...no magic. Ypsilon and Electrocompaniet amplification and Boulder 2020 source.

My preference for sound was Rockport, my admiration for technical advancement, detail retrieval was clearly YGA and the Hansen was just a good solid overall performer but did not impart its own magic...neither super-live sounding music, nor extreme dynamics, just solid but not great in any way. Perhaps this is why resale is difficult?

To make a product successful these days, differentiation is very, very important. Even if you are going to be a solid all around performer, you need to be different...Devialet is a great example...very, very good in many areas, but not top, top, tops for a 5-figure component in any one performance area...except one...its extreme design, size, user-friendly installation and slim figure.

Just as a personal preference to show my own bias, I'd rather have SF Guarneris plus a kick-ass sub or 2, and struggle to make them blend but get superb magic in certain areas, than the Hansen Princes.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Another speaker we heard was Perfect 8 which is a small $150K speaker with the drivers in plexiglass and no enclosure. Good but not great. Apparently RH and JV gave it contender for Best In Show. Not sure what they were smoking before listening and $150 K. ????

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing