Carol

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The one thing I have always enjoyed has been catching up with all the season ending great movies which could be worthy of Academy Award nomination

Such was the case today when my wife and I caught an afternoon matinee. I must say this was a terrific movie but won't be liked by all. In short this is an amazing and tender love story between an older and married woman (Cate Blanchett) and a younger girl working in a department store (Rooney Mara)

Cate Blanchett has always been a great actor but the past few years have put her at the pinnacle of her game. This movie proves no exception and is not to be missed. I expect both she and the movie to be nominated

If there is a shortcoming, it was the painfully slow movement of the film in order to tell the story. The movie was the usual 2 hours but because of the slow pace it seemed much longer.

MRQE gives it an 85 which is an exceptional score

Cast: Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara, Sarah Paulson, Kyle Chandler, Jake Lacy, Carrie Brownstein, Cory Michael Smith, John Magaro
Director: Todd Haynes
Rating: R
Running Time: 118 min.
Synopsis:
Set against the glamorous backdrop of 1950s New York, Carol is an achingly beautiful depiction of love against the odds. From the author of The Talented Mr. Ripley and acclaimed director Todd Haynes (Far From Heaven, I'm Not There, Mildred Pierce) comes a powerful drama about a married woman who risks everything when she embarks on a romance with a younger department store worker.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Saw Carol today. We did a back to back, first Carol, then The Danish Girl - first time I remember doing 2 movies at the theater on the same day.

This was an incredibly well done period piece, from the clothing to the cars to the department store set and the merchandise within. The scenes were incredibly authentic appearing to me.

I agree that parts of the movie did drag a bit but overall I enjoyed the film.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing