Capriccio Italien on RR-80 HDCD

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Anyone also find this performance and recording extraordinary? I've been fixated on the last 3-min crescendo for the last 1 hr and I can't get enough of this audio o*sm; the finale is just phenomenally & addictively super dynamic

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
I've somehow missed this one, perhaps because the name - Ports of Call - didn't make me think "classical". How's Die Moldau?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Anyone also find this performance and recording extraordinary? I've been fixated on the last 3-min crescendo for the last 1 hr and I can't get enough of this audio o*sm; the finale is just phenomenally & addictively super dynamic

Never *hoid* of it.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I bought this on vinyl several years ago for $0.50 at a thrift shop along with a few other Mercury Golden Imports. I don't think this LP was ever played. Just finished playing Side One and WOW! Sounds really good. Lots of detail, spaciousness and volume. Too bad my room is so small as it deserves a much fuller playback.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I have yet to hear a performance of Capriccio Italien that really fails. It is almost sure-fire.

That said, I have yet to hear a performance by Oue that isn't bettered by others. He benefits greatly from the sonic advantages of Reference Recordings as I doubt I would hear him otherwise.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

I luv it! Got the exact same version (RR-80CD - HDCD encoded).

You might also want to try Rachmaninoff - Symphonic Dances, also by Eiji Oue & the Minnesota Orchestra. --> RR-96CD [HDCD] :b

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I luv it! Got the exact same version (RR-80CD - HDCD encoded).

You might also want to try Rachmaninoff - Symphonic Dances, also by Eiji Oue & the Minnesota Orchestra. --> RR-96CD [HDCD] :b

You might also want to try Previn (EMI) or Jansons (RCO Live) if you are interested in more exciting performances.

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
You cannot go wrong with anything Marriss Jansons conduct's, especially Tchifovsky.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I have yet to hear a performance of Capriccio Italien that really fails. It is almost sure-fire.

That said, I have yet to hear a performance by Oue that isn't bettered by others. He benefits greatly from the sonic advantages of Reference Recordings as I doubt I would hear him otherwise.

Ouch but true ... bad Kal, bad! :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I mentioned earlier that I bought this for $0.50 and I just dug it out. I have no idea if this is any good, but it sounds very nice. Side 2 has some wonderful spoken word about how this recording was put together, from the actual in-field cannon shots at West Point, to the carillion. The LP is a Dutch pressing.

IMG_0029.JPG

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I mentioned earlier that I bought this for $0.50 and I just dug it out. I have no idea if this is any good, but it sounds very nice. Side 2 has some wonderful spoken word about how this recording was put together, from the actual in-field cannon shots at West Point, to the carillion. The LP is a Dutch pressing.

View attachment 7966
Even though most of the performers on this disc are now dead, the performance is more alive than Oue's. :p

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Even though most of the performers on this disc are now dead, the performance is more alive than Oue's. :p

Dead's ok as I hadn't planned on speaking to any of them. :p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing