Can speaker terminals on vintage gear be changed?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My Pioneer SA-9500II integrated has those push-tab speaker terminals, which cannot accept a lot of cables and certainly not banana plugs and/or spades. I use those Pin adapters, but I'm not happy with them as they aren't very secure.

Can those amps be modified to accept todays connectors?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Fairly easily, if you've some DIY skills or a techie friend. I have done it on various components in the past. Sometimes, a binding post will fit right in where the push-tab was, but other times the push-tabs go direct to a circuit board so it takes a little more effort to mount properly. I have also implemented a red-neck solution by removing the push-tabs and soldering short jumpers to a binding post, either loose (not recommended!) or jumpers into a small box with panel jacks mounted (much better).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Fairly easily, if you've some DIY skills or a techie friend. I have done it on various components in the past. Sometimes, a binding post will fit right in where the push-tab was, but other times the push-tabs go direct to a circuit board so it takes a little more effort to mount properly. I have also implemented a red-neck solution by removing the push-tabs and soldering short jumpers to a binding post, either loose (not recommended!) or jumpers into a small box with panel jacks mounted (much better).

I'm no DIYer, so I'd have to bring it in, but I do know a shop that I think could do this for me. I think this calls for a drive-by visit next week when I'm in the area. Thanks Don! I have some wonderful VALAB/King Cables that are sitting dormant right now, and I really would like to reintroduce them into my system.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think it is possible to do it easily on your SA9500 - you have to unscrew the old terminal block and replace it with one custom cut with the same size. Just get a similar size plastic or acrylic strip, (may be two or three glued old plastic bank cards), mark and drill them, fit with your favorite 5 way bind posts and you are done!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, I asked this very same question on A'gon a few years ago. I was concerned about my ARC D70 Mk2 having the original small barrier strips for the speaker cable connections. One of the replies, which I now think was great advice, was to leave the originality of the piece alone and simply acquire a speaker cable that would work with the small barrier strip. I did this with small spades that I spec'd through Nordost. ( They were only too happy to provide me cables with small spades). I am glad I left the barrier strips alone, as the amp is more original and I have seen that modded amps that have the newer connectors always sell for less. Not sure if this is a factor for you with your Pioneer, but just in case.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
John, I asked this very same question on A'gon a few years ago. I was concerned about my ARC D70 Mk2 having the original small barrier strips for the speaker cable connections. One of the replies, which I now think was great advice, was to leave the originality of the piece alone and simply acquire a speaker cable that would work with the small barrier strip. I did this with small spades that I spec'd through Nordost. ( They were only too happy to provide me cables with small spades). I am glad I left the barrier strips alone, as the amp is more original and I have seen that modded amps that have the newer connectors always sell for less. Not sure if this is a factor for you with your Pioneer, but just in case.

Hi Davey,

In John's case he already has the speaker cables and had them before he purchased the Pioneer IA. He is just hoping that he can put those cables that he likes so much back into service. In addition, the speaker cables that he has are quite robust and will not accept (to the best of my knowledge) the small spades that the Pioneer IA would use.

Rich

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Davey,

You were a wise man : the ARC D70 mk2 strip was a very decently designed screw strip - I used it for long time, using the excellent Supra block fork adapters to use 4mm plugs if needed. But the SA9500 strip is really poor. And the method I describe is reversible - you can always remount the original strips.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
An easy approach might be to leave the current connectors alone and add a set. Looking at the back of it, there is plenty of space to the right. Then simply solder wire to the PCB where the other jacks go.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
An easy approach might be to leave the current connectors alone and add a set. Looking at the back of it, there is plenty of space to the right. Then simply solder wire to the PCB where the other jacks go.

Amir,

That was my original suggestion to John, but it would require some drilling and installation of the binding posts.

Rich

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Where would I buy a "set"?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Amir,

That was my original suggestion to John, but it would require some drilling and installation of the binding posts.

Rich

I guess I could have a local techie do that here.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John,

Your local tech would probably have them. You could purchase them from places like Parts Connexion:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/index.html#

or Parts Express:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=Cat&srchCat=907

Search on Parts Connexion for binding posts; they have a lot available.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the search my friend. The embarassing part for me however is that they're literally 10 minutes from my house, but I totally didn't even think of them. I've got a busy week ahead with our semi-annual trade show, so I'm not sure if I have a chance to drop by in the next few days, but drop by I will.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You really complicate it, guys. :)
Done in three minutes and forty seconds!

Attachments

• P1000338..JPG
    P1000338..JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 169
  • P1000340..JPG
    P1000340..JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 198

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You really complicate it, guys. :)
Done in three minutes and forty seconds!

You have no idea how much of a complete technoob I am, so even this is complicated for me. I can do what you showed as that looks rather simple, but how do I attach it the the existing terminal?

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
You have no idea how much of a complete technoob I am, so even this is complicated for me. I can do what you showed as that looks rather simple, but how do I attach it the the existing terminal?

Hi John,

I think that what Micro is suggesting is that you unscrew and remove the plate holding the 8 speaker terminals installed into the stock unit. So, all 8 of the speaker terminals would be removed, but the the connections would have to be de-soldered. Then the plastic credit card, with the holes as shown would be cut to fit (as shown in Micro's photos) and screwed in place with as he is showing only 4 speaker terminals (you could use 8 as the stock unit). The speaker terminals would then be soldered back to the proper wire for the positive and negative of each of the speaker terminals. Once done, and the amp housing was closed up you would be in business to using the 5 way binding posts that were installed and you could then use Kevin's heavy cables (providing you have connections still on the amp end or have replaced them).

Rich

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John,

I think that what Micro is suggesting is that you unscrew and remove the plate holding the 8 speaker terminals installed into the stock unit. So, all 8 of the speaker terminals would be removed, but the the connections would have to be de-soldered. Then the plastic credit card, with the holes as shown would be cut to fit (as shown in Micro's photos) and screwed in place with as he is showing only 4 speaker terminals (you could use 8 as the stock unit). The speaker terminals would then be soldered back to the proper wire for the positive and negative of each of the speaker terminals. Once done, and the amp housing was closed up you would be in business to using the 5 way binding posts that were installed and you could then use Kevin's heavy cables (providing you have connections still on the amp end or have replaced them).

Rich

Got it.....I suppose even I could do that. If not, I have some friend's that are pretty handy, so they could give me some assistance. Regarding Kevin's cables, I removed the amp ends (prematurely in hindsight) as I thought I could make it work, but it didn't pan out that way. The weight of those cables was just to much for them to be held in place by the speaker terminals of the amp. I thereby have to get them reterminated, which shouldn't present a problem.

I'll go over to Parts Connection and make some inquiries and then take it from there. None of this is urgent, although I have to tell you that I do miss Kevin's cables in my system.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Got it.....I suppose even I could do that. If not, I have some friend's that are pretty handy, so they could give me some assistance. Regarding Kevin's cables, I removed the amp ends (prematurely in hindsight) as I thought I could make it work, but it didn't pan out that way. The weight of those cables was just to much for them to be held in place by the speaker terminals of the amp. I thereby have to get them reterminated, which shouldn't present a problem.

I'll go over to Parts Connection and make some inquiries and then take it from there. None of this is urgent, although I have to tell you that I do miss Kevin's cables in my system.

Hi John,

Didn't I send you Kevin's cables with the Banana plugs? If so, you can order these from Kevin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rhodium-Plated-Speaker-Banana-Plug-Connector-2-pairs-/290466405206?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item43a1259b56

If they were the spades, then I am sure that Kevin can get you some of those as well.

Rich

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Micro,

I was trying to give John the option of some better binding posts. But, that is good too; nice use of a fictitious credit card. :D

Rich

Rich,
Although they look cheap, these old binding posts are of excellent quality - they were used by several brands in the 90's. Note that the surface is textured, that will assure a high pressure contact zone. And it is not a credit card, it is a fuel point card - but I am sure that it will sound much better if you use a valid platinum credit card. :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing