Can someone compare the MSB house sound vs Playback Designs house sound?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If you have the I2S Pro output on the transport, then most likely you have the UMT Plus not the UMT - two different models.

My dealer also swears by Ethernet streaming via UMT+ as opposed to using the USB 384kHz input on the DAC. Getting a separate PSU for the UMT+ video part is also said to bring considerable improvement.

The clock, as edorr already noted, is useless on the UMT+ if you already have the MSB DAC with Galaxy Femtoclock.

Adam,

I'm getting an UMT Plus soon :)
Please elaborate on this extra PSU for the UMT+ video part. Which one should be used?

alexandre

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Alex if you are posing the question to me , the diamond PSU is the one that can power both. As my system is for audio only
I did spend for additional PSU for the UMT plus.
But there are other people here that feel differently then I do .

Al. D

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Please elaborate on this extra PSU for the UMT+ video part. Which one should be used?

I'm not an expert on UMT+, since I never got one. My dealer swears by dual PSU arrangement, and so does MSB on their website:

You can expect to see an improvement in the audio and video

http://www.msbtech.com/products/universalPlus.php

Worth a try IMO, but only if you can demo before ordering.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hmm... I wonder if I can use the DAC's Diamond Power Base to power that 2nd power input, leaving the Transport Power Base to handle the audio section of the transport...
Or maybe just get a simple desktop supply for that 2nd (video) input...
Guess I'll have to wait until CES and ask Larry :)
I'm getting an UMT+, so I'll be able to test that, and more!

alexandre

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hmm... I wonder if I can use the DAC's Diamond Power Base to power that 2nd power input, leaving the Transport Power Base to handle the audio section of the transport...
Or maybe just get a simple desktop supply for that 2nd (video) input...
Guess I'll have to wait until CES and ask Larry :)
I'm getting an UMT+, so I'll be able to test that, and more!

alexandre

I agree spending $500+ on the standard brick to power video seems like a waste. Either use the 2nd output of the diamond or get a cheap 12v supply reterminated with DIN plug. Are you planning on listening to the forthcoming Blue Smoke digital converter as well?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I wonder if you could use the Analog DAC PSU to power the UMT+. It is much more robust than the 'brick' PSU (which is switch mode based I belive), having two separate transformers, and must be much cheaper the the full blown Platinium Power Base.

Analog DAC standard PSU:

analogdacpsu2.jpg

UMT+ Desktop Supply ($595):

DATA4_Desktop-Supply.jpg

Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I agree spending $500+ on the standard brick to power video seems like a waste. Either use the 2nd output of the diamond or get a cheap 12v supply reterminated with DIN plug. Are you planning on listening to the forthcoming Blue Smoke digital converter as well?

Are they going to show that? Is that the one with MSB i2S outputs?

alexandre

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ah, so that's just a PC in a box? Not interested :)

alexandre

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Ah, so that's just a PC in a box? Not interested :)

alexandre

No. It is basically a USb to I2S pro converter. They use an OEM card supplied by MSB to do this. There is no PC/server in this box. I'll put my CAPs 3.0 in front of it and feed it USB.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No. It is basically a USb to I2S pro converter. They use an OEM card supplied by MSB to do this. There is no PC/server in this box. I'll put my CAPs 3.0 in front of it and feed it USB.

Does this unit accept the clock coming from the DAC?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Does this unit accept the clock coming from the DAC?

Yes. It implements I2S pro, so the unit is slaved to the Femto clock in the DAC. Since there is no other noisy circuitry in this box and it also takes 12v power from MSB source, I would think it is as good if not better than the UMT +.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have an off ramp by empirical audio . It does the same thing. It has it's own PSU and clock, but doesn't the MSB dac just resample what ever you provide to,it's own clock?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have an off ramp by empirical audio . It does the same thing. It has it's own PSU and clock, but doesn't the MSB dac just resample what ever you provide to,it's own clock?

In "reclocking" mode that is what the MSB DAC does - buffer and reclock in the DAC. However, I2S pro works differently - it sends a clock to the source. This is not the same thing as the empirical audio. The Offramp 5 has I2S connection to work with PS Audio DAC, but I don't think this slaves the OR5 to the PS audio. I had all of this myself at some point (OR 5, PWD MKII).

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Lol me too . It also works with audio gd DAC,S. As well. The only problem with this stuff is the msb dacs are so much better I'm not sure mine even be worth trying. But what you are explaining is a similar product I am guessing . So it will let use USB from a CPU or player and convert it to i2s pro . Why do this what is to gain. Please explain ?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Lol me too . It also works with audio gd DAC,S. As well. The only problem with this stuff is the msb dacs are so much better I'm not sure mine even be worth trying. But what you are explaining is a similar product I am guessing . So it will let use USB from a CPU or player and convert it to i2s pro . Why do this what is to gain. Please explain ?

Yes it basically converts usb to i2s pro. I asked the same question (why would this sound better). Both Vince @ MSB and blue smoke audio agreed the i2s pro interface beats usb (which I am using now). I would not buy this converter without in house trial though.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
As I have been using the UMT plus only I cannot give an opinion , but the UMT. Is just amazing. And I just ordered the dual transport PSU hoping it can improve even more. Thanks for replying .

Al D

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
As I have been using the UMT plus only I cannot give an opinion , but the UMT. Is just amazing. And I just ordered the dual transport PSU hoping it can improve even more. Thanks for replying .

Al D

Yes either the blue smoke converter or UMT plus over i2s pro will sound best I think. If I decide i won't use Dirac drc, I may go the UMT route myself.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I wish I could help in your decision. Truth be told of all the dacs I have owned and not just listened to at a show or sound room this setup is in another universe. As I am sure there is equal or better I have not heard one. It has only been a couple of weeks so the honeymoon is still going. I am glad I went for the UMT plus in that I was tired of playing with the USB settings and such never knowing if it could be better. I have another transport and will try it as a comparison soon, but I do not expect it to be better.

Al. D

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi everyone. Let me comment on the power supply questions that have been raised here regarding the UMT Plus transport. As you know, I own the Diamond DAC, UMT Plus, and the Diamond supply. I have discussed all of the power supply options with Vince Galbo, MSB, and my dealer. Here is a description of how I am connecting the 12V power supplies. If you look on the back of a UMT Plus, there are TWO 12 V power inputs. MSB actually isolated the video circuits from the audio circuits and gave us the option of powering each separately. If you choose to run one 12V power supply line to the UMT Plus and plug it into the "12V Digital Supply", both audio and video circuits are powered by the one supply. When you plug a second 12V supply into the UMT Plus, you will hear a relay click in. This relay separates the video circuits from the audio circuits. I run the standard "desktop" supply into the first 12V power input of the UMT as this is the input for the transport and video circuits. I use the second power output of my DIAMOND power supply plugged into the UMT Plus labeled "2nd Digital Supply" to power the UMT audio circuits. When I run things this way, the improvement I hear is in a slightly quieter noise floor, slightly smoother treble response. It is better than with one supply. THE OPTIMAL SOLUTION: buy a Signature Supply and have it power the transport while the DIAMOND supply powers the DAC. The following is from the MSB web-site:

The Power Supply - The Universal Media Transport uses an external DC power supply. That keeps all the ugly byproducts of AC power and its conversion away from the important clocks and timing of the audio transport. The DC is again filtered and regulated within the transport providing ultra-clean power for each part of the circuits. But that is not all. We have actually separated the UMT plus into two parts. Each is provided with an external power supply. The main power connector powers the drive and video circuits. The secondary power supply runs the clock and audio processing circuits. The second power supply is optional. If no power supply is connected to it, the main connection is bridged to power the whole unit. But as soon as you plug in the second supply, the two parts are disconnected and the audio output is now truly isolated from the video.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing