Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

Speaking only for myself, I’ve made the choice that I prefer exploring the wonders of music through streaming rather than being confined to searching out golden age recordings. This would feel very narrowing to me, but I can understand how it’s very satisfying for those that want to go that route.

The point is that it is not "narrowing" if you choose to listen to streaming and CDs and LPs.

I draw the line with 78s and tape, but I have been tempted on a few occasions...

... did some reading of the first few pages and taking @Ron Resnick s advice... investing in a Baltic4 might do the trick just to take a leap forward in digital playback

I have never been able to explain it. I have listened to many DACs.

If I have to listen to digital, for some reason, the Lampizators just work for me in a way that no other DAC does.

Reactions: jbrrp1 and bonzo75
Does Ron listen much to his digital? From reading his thread comments, it seems he listens 100% to analog, mostly tape, and that the digital is really only for friends who come to visit and want to select different music.

Peter, you are answering a different question than the one on the table.

The amount of time I spend listening to digital is not relevant here. What is relevant here is the digital I choose to listen to if I were to listen to digital. And that choice for me is Baltic 4.

Whoever said streaming has every album in existence?

Speaking only for myself, I’ve made the choice that I prefer exploring the wonders of music through streaming rather than being confined to searching out golden age recordings. This would feel very narrowing to me, but I can understand how it’s very satisfying for those that want to go that route.

How would you define “infinite number of albums“? To me, infinite means every album ever produced plus more because an infinite number has not already been made.

Audiogod wrote the choice is infinite. I’m simply saying it is not. Number 3 below.

Reasons I will never get vinyl :
.1. I'm too fat and lazy to get up every few minutes .
2.I don't want to be limited to a small number of albums .
3.Streaming has an infinite amount of albums .
4.I can't be bothered with cleaning records .
5.Digital is light years ahead technically and sonically.(To me at least )
6. I don't need "emotions" in my music just transparency to allow me to analyze the music and be closest to the original master.

Last edited:
Peter, you are answering a different question than the one on the table.

The amount of time I spend listening to digital is not relevant here. What is relevant here is the digital I choose to listen to if I were to listen to digital. And that choice for me is Baltic 4.

Ron, actually the quote you took from me, I’m actually asking a question, not answering one. My post was in the context of the thread subject. You are recommending a digital solution but don’t seem to listen to it. I don’t really know. You seem to listen exclusively to analog in your system and the thread is about digital reaching analog.

Reactions: Lagonda

I think his point is that it does not include a lot of stuff that is on vinyl. Therefore, there is a justification for vinyl everyone wants to listen to music that is not available on digital. It’s not denying the vast number of choices available on digital. It’s just not everything The people might want to listen to.

Reactions: AudioGod
I'm sure there's lots of lesser known jazz that is only available on vinyl.

There's also lots of music that is not available on (lossless) streaming, only on CD or digital download.

What's available on vinyl that's not available on digital ? Do you have any examples ?

buckingham/nicks, its a classic
emerald forest soundtrack

who really cares, we get it already, you are 100% digital, enjoy it but quit trying to convince others its the best format etc

buckingham/nicks, its a classic
emerald forest soundtrack

who really cares, we get it already, you are 100% digital, enjoy it but quit trying to convince others its the best format etc
When someone says he likes digital and points out that 5 million albums is a lot less limiting than even the biggest vinyl collection (and that's a fact )
then he is "convincing" others .
When People in this thread glorify vinyl, a 100 years old technology that doesn't come anywhere near digital's technical capabilities ,then it's legitimate and fine and acceptable .
OK....

Hello and good evening to you, gentlemen. I would like to remind all of you once again. Please abide by the TOS of this forum. Many comments have been removed because of the following reasons.;

Personal attacks
Off Topic
Discussing the poster and not the thread subject

Here is a link to the TOS of this forum - https://www.whatsbestforum.com/help/terms/

No warnings (other than this soft warning to remind everyone who's posts were deleted) will be issued but moving forward, more formal warnings/administrative actions will be issued, if some of the behavior that was deleted occurs again.

Tom

I find myself constantly frustrated that many albums I like on Qobuz dissappear all to often.
I have a number of LPs that to my knowledge have never been released on digital. So, streaming can not truly have an infinite number of albums.

• Wow
Reactions: Lee and PeterA
I find myself constantly frustrated that many albums I like on Qobuz dissappear all to often.

There's a solution: Buy them.

I don't know when actually owning music became a bad thing. I own all my music.

The OP asked a legitimate question, but it's a tired question. People trench into sides. Probably because they have never surpassed one or the other source in their own system. When you get any source dialed, and you find just the right piece of media, and you're in the correct mind space to digest it, your perception can then be altered if you hear something better.

But one or the other will never meet or exceed the other if you don't put forth a full effort. When you do, you can get either digital or analog to supercede one or the other. Provided your media is correct.

Put another way there is the, is it worth the effort question. Do you have music taste that warrent one or the other being a principal source. Some of my musical taste play best on digital. It's where I find the best coppies. Other genera and preferred artists seem to have the highest performance on vinyl. Consider what your taste are.

The OP asked a legitimate question, but it's a tired question. People trench into sides. Probably because they have never surpassed one or the other source in their own system. When you get any source dialed, and you find just the right piece of media, and you're in the correct mind space to digest it, your perception can then be altered if you hear something better.

But one or the other will never meet or exceed the other if you don't put forth a full effort. When you do, you can get either digital or analog to supercede one or the other. Provided your media is correct.

Put another way there is the, is it worth the effort question. Do you have music taste that warrent one or the other being a principal source. Some of my musical taste play best on digital. It's where I find the best coppies. Other genera and preferred artists seem to have the highest performance on vinyl. Consider what your taste are.

That is one of the many reasons why I will never own vinyl myself. I want to optimize one source, and the other is not worth the effort and expense for me, even though I greatly enjoy it in friends' systems.

All the money and effort that I would have put into split sources I could not have used for optimizing one. So I chose to optimize my physical CD playback as my only source (no diversion of effort and money into streaming either), and I am really happy with the choice I made.

Others will be happy with their choices, everyone is different.

There's a solution: Buy them.

I don't know when actually owning music became a bad thing. I own all my music.
I pay for the Qobuz streaming service. I have no idea what will come and go. I just see the gaps in my playlist. Or I hit a favorite and find its no loger available. I'm not going to purchase every album I like. I'm just pointing out the frustration.
There was one I wish I had purchased. It was a Tibilisi orchestra doing The Nutcracker. The Russians get Tchaikovsky and the mood of the music. The inflections in the play were great. And it was a good digital version. An example of digital playing quite well in a genera where I find many of my favorite versions on vinyl or especially tape.
That is one of the many reasons why I will never own vinyl myself. I want to optimize one source, and the other is not worth the effort and expense for me, even though I greatly enjoy it in friends' systems.

All the money and effort that I would have put into split sources I could not have used for optimizing one. So I chose to optimize my physical CD playback as my only source (no diversion of effort and money into streaming either), and I am really happy with the choice I made.

Others will be happy with their choices, everyone is different.
I want to get a Jays Audio Lab CD3 MK3. But I spread my cash around and don't have the money.

I could find that album on CD, but I dont have DB poweramp anymore to rip it.

Last edited:

Rex, what genre sound better on digital or vinyl? Not doubting your experience, but it seems to me it should come down to each individual recording, not genre or playback technology.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing