Calling all Ch Precision experts

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I'm sure you're right Elliot. May be i should stop chasing the rainbow.

One question, how much better is the C1 mono without X1s compared to a single C1 with a X1. I ask because budgets have limits and supposedly the P1 with X1 is better than just the P1 monos.
IMO the C1 mono is a world class DAC and one can always add PS or the T1 in the future if wanted

Reactions: howiebrou

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I'm sure you're right Elliot. May be i should stop chasing the rainbow.

One question, how much better is the C1 mono without X1s compared to a single C1 with a X1. I ask because budgets have limits and supposedly the P1 with X1 is better than just the P1 monos.
By the way I have a C1 and a C1 mono so I am not pulling this out of my ass.
I use the C1 at shows so I dont have to move all the pieces

Reactions: howiebrou

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
does anyone have any comment about the choice of adding a T1 to a C1 or moving from C1to C1mono? thx

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
does anyone have any comment about the choice of adding a T1 to a C1 or moving from C1to C1mono? thx
i would venture to guess that a C1 mono would be a bigger upgrade than adding a T1 but obviously would cost a lot more as you need to trade your C1 in first, get the three box C1 mono and then add two more X1s.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Speaking of costs.
What are the list prices for :
  • C1 plain vanilly
  • C1 dual mono
  • T1 (does one need two T1 for the mono C1 or ist it always on T1?)
  • One X1 (for C1)
  • Two X1 (for the C1 dual mono)
  • A third X1 (for the T1)
If you buy a new C1 now, will the new HD- and roon ethernet boards be already included or do they add up still. If not included, what are the prices of those modules?

Just to get a rough image of the costs involved.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Speaking of costs.
What are the list prices for :
  • C1 plain vanilly
  • C1 dual mono
  • T1 (does one need two T1 for the mono C1 or ist it always on T1?)
  • One X1 (for C1)
  • Two X1 (for the C1 dual mono)
  • A third X1 (for the T1)
If you buy a new C1 now, will the new HD- and roon ethernet boards be already included or do they add up still. If not included, what are the prices of those modules?

Just to get a rough image of the costs involved.

Christoph, Elliot may be in a better position to provide you these prices but i think they are roughly;

• C1 plain vanilly 32K
  • C1 dual mono 73k
  • T1 (does one need two T1 for the mono C1 or ist it always on T1?) 25k / T1
  • One X1 (for C1) 17k
  • Two X1 (for the C1 dual mono) 17k each or 20k if you use a X1 with two outputs
  • A third X1 (for the T1) again 17k.
I think yes, a new C1 should have the HD board installed but the ethernet card is a 6k option.

Please correct me if my prices are wrong.

howie

Reactions: christoph

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I currently use a P1 and a C1 each with their own X1. Im thinking of what to buy next and its between buying another P1 or a T1. What should i get ?
Hi Pweg. First, thanks for your purchase of our P1/C1/X1s. With respect to an upgrade path I have a few ideas for you to consider. First, you did not say what amp/pre-amp combination you use so my first inclination would be for you to hear our source components (P1/C1) with our L1 pre-amp and one of our amps, A1.5 or M1.1 (mono or stereo). Real synergy exists and I encourage you to hear a full system demonstration.

If you are happy with your current amp/pre-amp combination, then the first upgrade I would recommend is the DIG_IN HD card for your C1 if you don't already have it. We've implemented new upsampling and digital filter algorithms that are used on ALL digital inputs to the C1 when we introduced this last year and the improvement in the digital presentation is easy to hear. Please keep in mind that if you also own a D1 transport, you must upgrade the DIG_Out of the D1 and CH-LINK HD cable at the same time. Cost of the DIG_IN HD for the C1 $2,500 USD, D1 DIG_OUT $2,500 USD, CH-LINK HD cable $2,000 for 1M. The upgrade can be done at your home by one of our Dealers in about 30 min to install the card(s) and update firmware.

If you stream digital files to your C1 and are a ROON licensed user, I HIGHLY recommend upgrading your ethernet card to our new Ethernet_HD. If you don't currently have an ethernet card and are using USB card for streaming from ROON, you will easily hear the improvement in presentation. Cost of the Ethernet_HD card is $6,000 USD if you don't have one, or either $1,000 or $3,000 USD if you have an ethernet card and trade it in. Price depends on the age of your ethernet card. DIG_IN HD is a pre-requisite to the Ethernet_HD upgrade.

The upgrade to C1 mono is truly a big step forward in digital presentation. We offer an upgrade path for C1 owners to C1 mono. The cost for C1 to C1 mono is $41,000 USD. A C1 mono consists of three components: C1.d (control unit where option cards reside), and two C1.m units, one DAC for each channel (L/R). Any/all option cards that you have in your current C1 (USB, Ethernet, Clock cards, etc) can be moved to the C1.d. If you go this route, a T1 external clock is really going to improve performance. A T1 costs $24,700 USD and requires a SYNCH I/O clock card for the C1.d. A Synch I/O card is $1,500. If you own a D1, I HIGHLY recommend a clock card for the D1 as well in this configuration.

Adding a T1 to your current configuration will improve your digital presentation too; not nearly the jump you get from upgrading to a C1 mono!

On the analog side, we have done many listening tests as have our US dealers and most of us agree that the best upgrade based on where you are currently would be to add another P1 unit to your configuration. The P1 mono is crazy good. I demonstrated it this past year at the LA Audio show and at Sunny's Components dealer event. The upgrade for P1 owners to P1 mono is $24,000. Your current P1 is used as one channel and the analog in card from your current P1's other channel is moved to the new chassis. You can decide to add a card to your X1 to power both P1s ($3,500) or add another X1 which would be the ultimate configuration in sound quality and presentation ($17,000).

So, I hope you realize that you have many options to improve the quality of your current configuration. Every one of them that involves your current CH Precision equipment are ADDITIVE to what you currently own; no trade-ins! See one of our US Dealers for an audition or to discuss this further. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Elliot G.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I guess what is good about CH is that there is this ability to build slowly. Adding a X1 is much less painful than buying a new Dac and I can upgrade my plain vanilla C1 to a C1.1 quite cheaply.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Christoph, Elliot may be in a better position to provide you these prices but i think they are roughly;

• C1 plain vanilly 32K
  • C1 dual mono 73k
  • T1 (does one need two T1 for the mono C1 or ist it always on T1?) 25k / T1
  • One X1 (for C1) 17k
  • Two X1 (for the C1 dual mono) 17k each or 20k if you use a X1 with two outputs
  • A third X1 (for the T1) again 17k.
I think yes, a new C1 should have the HD board installed but the ethernet card is a 6k option.

Please correct me if my prices are wrong.

howie
Gulp
And I even forgot the D1 :oops:
So the all-out-assault on digital comprises of 9 boxes, costing roughly 204k?

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Hi Pweg. First, thanks for your purchase of our P1/C1/X1s. With respect to an upgrade path I have a few ideas for you to consider. First, you did not say what amp/pre-amp combination you use so my first inclination would be for you to hear our source components (P1/C1) with our L1 pre-amp and one of our amps, A1.5 or M1.1 (mono or stereo). Real synergy exists and I encourage you to hear a full system demonstration.

If you are happy with your current amp/pre-amp combination, then the first upgrade I would recommend is the DIG_IN HD card for your C1 if you don't already have it. We've implemented new upsampling and digital filter algorithms that are used on ALL digital inputs to the C1 when we introduced this last year and the improvement in the digital presentation is easy to hear. Please keep in mind that if you also own a D1 transport, you must upgrade the DIG_Out of the D1 and CH-LINK HD cable at the same time. Cost of the DIG_IN HD for the C1 $2,500 USD, D1 DIG_OUT $2,500 USD, CH-LINK HD cable $2,000 for 1M. The upgrade can be done at your home by one of our Dealers in about 30 min to install the card(s) and update firmware.

If you stream digital files to your C1 and are a ROON licensed user, I HIGHLY recommend upgrading your ethernet card to our new Ethernet_HD. If you don't currently have an ethernet card and are using USB card for streaming from ROON, you will easily hear the improvement in presentation. Cost of the Ethernet_HD card is $6,000 USD if you don't have one, or either $1,000 or $3,000 USD if you have an ethernet card and trade it in. Price depends on the age of your ethernet card. DIG_IN HD is a pre-requisite to the Ethernet_HD upgrade.

The upgrade to C1 mono is truly a big step forward in digital presentation. We offer an upgrade path for C1 owners to C1 mono. The cost for C1 to C1 mono is $41,000 USD. A C1 mono consists of three components: C1.d (control unit where option cards reside), and two C1.m units, one DAC for each channel (L/R). Any/all option cards that you have in your current C1 (USB, Ethernet, Clock cards, etc) can be moved to the C1.d. If you go this route, a T1 external clock is really going to improve performance. A T1 costs $24,700 USD and requires a SYNCH I/O clock card for the C1.d. A Synch I/O card is $1,500. If you own a D1, I HIGHLY recommend a clock card for the D1 as well in this configuration.

Adding a T1 to your current configuration will improve your digital presentation too; not nearly the jump you get from upgrading to a C1 mono!

On the analog side, we have done many listening tests as have our US dealers and most of us agree that the best upgrade based on where you are currently would be to add another P1 unit to your configuration. The P1 mono is crazy good. I demonstrated it this past year at the LA Audio show and at Sunny's Components dealer event. The upgrade for P1 owners to P1 mono is $24,000. Your current P1 is used as one channel and the analog in card from your current P1's other channel is moved to the new chassis. You can decide to add a card to your X1 to power both P1s ($3,500) or add another X1 which would be the ultimate configuration in sound quality and presentation ($17,000).

So, I hope you realize that you have many options to improve the quality of your current configuration. Every one of them that involves your current CH Precision equipment are ADDITIVE to what you currently own; no trade-ins! See one of our US Dealers for an audition or to discuss this further. Hope this helps.

Ralph

thank you for a fabulous reply. To help understand my situation. I recently got the C1 so its the latest version with HD in and ethernet streaming card. I was against digital for the past few years as i much preferred my TT. I still prefer the sound of the TT but can see there is a glimmer of hope for digital :)

with respect to amps, i am all good on that side

so i think the P1 will come next to make a mono system sharing an X1 and then move to upgrading the C side. And once again, adding X1's along the way.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Ralph

thank you for a fabulous reply. To help understand my situation. I recently got the C1 so its the latest version with HD in and ethernet streaming card. I was against digital for the past few years as i much preferred my TT. I still prefer the sound of the TT but can see there is a glimmer of hope for digital :)

with respect to amps, i am all good on that side

so i think the P1 will come next to make a mono system sharing an X1 and then move to upgrading the C side. And once again, adding X1's along the way.
there is no wrong move there so enjoy

eso

Apr 2, 2019
Following on from other members comments, depends on digital or turntable listening preferences. Based on my experience with the CH gear, I purchased the P1. Having experienced both C1 monos and the P1, the P1 is definitely staying. I could live with compromised digital but vinyl playback needed to be magnificent. The P1 is truly an amazing phono. There are so many great digital options out there but finding a truly first class phono is gold. It really depends on which format you favour and spend accordingly. It obviously would be fantastic to have both Ch options.
Ciao
Rob

luk71

May 17, 2016
I have my new m1.1 mono with l1 + x1. I only listen to digital music, I have rockna signature dac, a good dac. the next step could be l1 mono or replace the dac with c1 + x1. what do you think, what is the best solution?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have my new m1.1 mono with l1 + x1. I only listen to digital music, I have rockna signature dac, a good dac. the next step could be l1 mono or replace the dac with c1 + x1. what do you think, what is the best solution?
where do you live?
C1 with an X-1 is incredible

luk71

May 17, 2016
italy.
I have read that l1 mono is spectacular and the improvement over a single is very high.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
italy.
I have read that l1 mono is spectacular and the improvement over a single is very high.
I auditioned the Rockna dac in my system - at the time i had the Vitus MP dac and transport. I now have the single box C1 and it is much better than both.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Luk71, first, thanks for your purchase of M1.1 mono, L1 and X1. There is no doubt that my recommendation is to upgrade to a C1 or C1/X1 next based on your current system and commitment to digital. The synergy of an all CH system will be evident to you. You will get a bigger improvement in performance by doing this next. The L1 mono is an award winning world class pre-amp but I would address source component next. Plus, you can move to L1 mono or C1 mono at a later time without trade-ins by simply adding to what you have. If you are a Roon user and stream your files or files from QoBuz or Tidal, you must hear the C1 with optional Ethernet_HD streaming. Awesome.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing