Brinkmann Balance.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
I listened to that video over an hour ago, and you know I still have never read a thread anywhere where by anyone who wanted to use a modern day technics arm on their table. Not to say it is a bad arm but I just do not see the popularity for it like many other arms and no glowing reviews that I can find. If you know of any great reviews of that arm please let me know.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
I listened to that video over an hour ago, and you know I still have never read a thread anywhere where by anyone who wanted to use a modern day technics arm on their table. Not to say it is a bad arm but I just do not see the popularity for it like many other arms and no glowing reviews that I can find. If you know of any great reviews of that arm please let me know.

Obviously there are no reviews yet but, despite its similar looks to the EPA-100 or 500 arm of long ago, it is a different animal with its magnesium tube, much beefier arm base, and other hidden design features. So I think it would be somewhat foolish to assume its performance may not be at the same level of the TT itself. One only need listen to know whether it meets one’s objectives.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
miniguy, I agree with you, it is 3/8 of an inch longer then the arm used on the 1200G table and only time will tell if it lives up to Technics and customers expectations.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Gary J, I predict there's a candy apple red Stabi M in your near future. So let me pre-emptively welcome you to the Kuzma brotherhood. Mine came with a Kuzma shirt. Wear it proudly. People love it at the trade shows. Haha. ;)

Attachments

• kuzma_stabi_m.jpg
    kuzma_stabi_m.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: twintech

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
Hi bazelio, It does look great in red, I keep going back and forth between the Technics SL-1000R and the Kuzma Stabi M and my decision is so hard especially since the Technics is not out yet. The Kuzma is retro and the Technics is modern looking.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
Franc Kuzma is the greatest guy to deal with and Technics............well........... when you call customer service in the USA you talk to someone that is hired to answer basic questions but they are not audiophiles and know very little about the product you want to talk about, they read off of a spec sheet that I have already seen online. You never get to talk to engineers they are in Japan and the the U.S. rep is not available to talk to because he only talks to dealers and he does not have a email address that I can find. Franc will answer any question you have usually within 12 hours. More points for Kuzma.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi,

There are other important criteria at question here imho. Firstly what is the through bearing rumble measurements for each of these. Secondly the Stabi M has a suspension of sorts whereas the Technics does not. When you say it just goes at 33.33 - I have not seen the measured data for each of these also including W&F. Then critically as Mike says you need to just listen to them rather than make theoretical suppositions imho.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I have a Kuzma XL DC. Originally swapped my SME 20a for the XL 4, after direct comparison, then upgraded to DC. Another enthusiast I know chose the XL 2 in preference to a SME 30 after a home demo, a few years ago, SMEs have reputedly improved since.

Had an extended listen to the Tech Das 3 and it sounded very good, did not feel the Kuzma DC was lacking in comparison. Actually preferred the sound of my system overall, obviously the rest of the gear was totally different, acoustics etc.

The DC has a 22KG plater and gets up to speed in seconds, I use a clearaudio speed light and disc - Kuzma displays excellent speed accuracy.

Tremendous dynamics and bass extension with 4pt, performer placement and scale is also excellent, great on solo and small scale instruments as well. I buy a lot of 60s and 70s second hand jazz albums, when cleaned the majority sound better than modern pressings.

Very simple design principles, all machined from solid brass (Non magnetic) except platter which is an aluminium composite laminate - total mass is around 90KG inc 2 arm towers.

There is one thing to consider with the XL - it needs to be carefully sited. I have mine on a custom table with a slate, granite and latterly panzerholz, plinth (65KG approx - total inc TT & support around 200KG) which sits on air springs. I arrived at this design after exchanging emails with Franc K. I can stamp heavily on the suspended wooden floor with the cartridge sitting on a stationery record, vol on max, and hear no disturbance from speakers. Have reinforced floor to be on the safe side haha.

Have not heard any of the uber tables like Tech D 1, Continum etc. I am sure they sound fantastic but they are well out of my league, the XL does a great job of sounding engaging and realistic. Had mine around 7 yrs and it has proved reliable so far.

Like any good high end gear there will always be subjective preferences for one type of sound over another one can't be absolutist and say this or that is the best.

Try and compare the Kuzma and TD 1 (you have to like the sound), if not available in the same location, then in two very similar systems - the Stabli M seems a good bet as well.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
For what it's worth, we've mounted an A95 on the SL-1200GAE. The tonearm on the new SP-10 is a longer, better version of the one on the SL-1200, so if it works on the shorter one, it'll likely work on the SP-10 too.

Kuzma x Technics is indeed a tough choice. I love the Kuzma tables, but the XL, as dctom mentioned, requires a platform for proper levelling, and the Stabi M/Reference have that suspension, which can be an issue.

I believe Gary has called me about this. I think the best combo, if one wants something simple and straightforward, would be SP-10 with a 4point 9", and a custom base.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
Thanks guys for all the info, I will not be using a dust cover with any turntable while it is running so that is not a problem for me. I noticed some runout between the side of the platter and the plinth on the new SL-1000R on one of the videos posted yesterday. I used to work in aircraft and I have a keen eye for such things so I know this is a pre-production table and maybe the production tables will not have this issue. Working in aircraft is a blessing and a curse at the same time because you are trained to look for the smallest most minute things. I have never seen platter runout on any Kuzma table platter. I do not have any Kuzma Stabi M tables to listen to anywhere around me or dealers so listening is almost impossible. I will say this, Franc Kuzma is a guy I think I can trust and even though we are thousands of miles away from what I have heard about the quality of his table I do not think I can go wrong, when it comes to Technics and the fact I cannot talk to anyone that really knows the table well I think that is a risk at this point.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gary, you have to go with how you feel. You’re getting a pretty consistent feedback here that Kuzma cannot be faulted on engineering, tolerances etc. You also like the customer consideration the company is offering you. And you’re struggling to get the personal touch from Technics, added to the fact there is no feedback on the new SP-10R.
This must all be telling you something. Esp since you’ll buy without audition.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
Spirit, Otherwise when in doubt look at the picture on page 9 and if I have further doubts look again at the picture on page 9, I get it.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
and the Stabi M/Reference have that suspension, which can be an issue.

What issue is that? The Stabi M suspension has very low damped resonance and is mass loaded. It provides better decoupling from the stand or room vibrations than most isolation platforms.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
bazelio, I was wondering about that one too, not sure what he meant.

I used to have a Kuzma Reference, not the Stabi M, which is a different beast. In my house, 2nd floor, it did pick up noise/rumble from the environment. Granted, I didn't have any fancy racks/isolation platforms.

Reading again what I wrote, I think I shouldn't have written "Stabi M", just "Reference", as I don't have nearly the same amount of experience with the newer model as I do with the older one. So, my apologies.

cheers,
alex

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
Someone on the Analog Planet emailed Technics about the arm used with the new SL-1000R table and Technics told that person the arm was the same as the one used in the 1200G table only it was one inch longer, interesting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing