Breaking In ARC Phono 2

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
To all audio research experts out there. how long is this break in process, really? i am about 40 hours of playing time and 150 hours of "on" time into the process for the ARC Reference Phono 2.

Everything sounds like Mickey Mouse. Everyone who has walked in has told they are certain that I have the speed adjusted too high, but i have double checked. is this a matter of patience, or could something be wrong?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Audio Research recommend 600 hour for full break in of new units. As I did not want to wait I used a cheap CD player in repeat mode with a resistive attenuator ( a passive preamplifier) during three weeks to break in the unit.
But even taken from the box it sounded wonderful every time during the first LPs. Some people say that Audio Research gear sounds good taken from the box, then becomes "high pitched" versus 200 hours and only at 400 hours re-gains bass. I noticed this effect it in the CD8, but did not check time of play.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"Mickey Mouse" sounding immediately brings speed problems to mind Brian. Do you have another phonostage around, even a most basic one, to compare?

By the way, how did you check your speed settings? Strobe and test disc? If so which one?

Jack

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
To all audio research experts out there. how long is this break in process, really? i am about 40 hours of playing time and 150 hours of "on" time into the process for the ARC Reference Phono 2.

Everything sounds like Mickey Mouse. Everyone who has walked in has told they are certain that I have the speed adjusted too high, but i have double checked. is this a matter of patience, or could something be wrong?

First if it's using Teflon caps, and I suspect it is, they can't sound downright awful for the first 150 hours. In fact, the unit can sound defective. So I'd give it the time ARC recommends.

If you want, you're welcome to stop by and borrow my Thor Audio phono burn in unit. It simply creates a reverse RIAA curve from a CD input and one can use that to break in the phono section in a couple of days.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Sounds to me like a defective unit (RIAA curve wrong, likely due to bad component or poor connection). I can't imagine it needing break-in to improve something as gross as a "Mikey-Mouse sound" right out of the box. I agree with Steve; take it back to your dealer and A/B with another unit if possible. - Don

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Having used many ARC preamps and phono stages which were all brand new, I had never encountered such 'mickey mouse' syndrome. They are sound fine and after break in of around 60 hours, bass becomes tighter, over all sounds is clearer and images are more rock solid. My friends with Ref series models do not report any anomaly on initial playing as well.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Got to upgrade my 7 year ARC VS 110 to a circa 2008 VS115 amp (brand new) about 3 weeks ago. There is a leaflet that 'warns' users that 600 hours is needed to fully break in the amp. Well, at 2 hours a day non stop, I figured it might take 10 months to reach the magic number. I do not like leaving hot tube electronics on while I go out, so I have to be here monitoring, and listening to it somehow. So far, I estimate to have logged in maybe 20-30 hours, and I am careful not to come to conclusions with this new amp. I can feel there is that need to break it in thingy, something which I had not had before with my new amps. Things are not very focused and there is a 'honky' and nasal sound on wind instruments at loud levels. I should hope these are due to lack of break in. But overall, I'm happy with the change as the sound is even more transparent with a more laid back presentation. Strangely, ARC has reduced the input sensitivity by 2db, which may mean a little upward adjustment in my pre amp's volume pot.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Could it possibly be something as simple as an improper impedance setting?

my old amp's input impedance is 100k ohms and this new one is 150k ohms. I don't know exactly what this translates to, as my old amp matched my pre-amp pretty nicely.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I'm referencing the impedance of the cartridge. Perhaps the setting is way off in the phono stage relative to the optimum for that cartridge.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm referencing the impedance of the cartridge. Perhaps the setting is way off in the phono stage relative to the optimum for that cartridge.

Oh. It's been set for the recommended 100 ohms of my Koetsu for a long time. The setting has worked fine with me for many years.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
My apologies. I was referring to the original post. I didn't notice that it was from last year.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
OK..but you are not the one having the problem. I am simply suggesting that the problem of the OP may stem from an incorrect impedance setting in his phono stage relative to what his cartridge would prefer to see - hence the "mickey mouse" sound. Just a wild guess.

Ah. Ok. lasercd.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing