Boyhood

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Boyhood - Official US Trailer | HD | IFC Films

I rented this film yesterday as it was the last major film nomination for Best Picture that I had yet to see. Not a short film by any means coming in at 2 hours and 45 minutes. The concept is absolutely unique in that the story was filmed over the course of 12 years starting at age 5 up to age 18.

A brief summary.......

Filmed over 12 years with the same cast, Richard Linklater's BOYHOOD is a groundbreaking story of growing up as seen through the eyes of a child named Mason (a breakthrough performance by Ellar Coltrane), who literally grows up on screen before our eyes. Starring Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette as Mason's parents and newcomer Lorelei Linklater as his sister Samantha, BOYHOOD charts the rocky terrain of childhood like no other film has before. Snapshots of adolescence from road trips and family dinners to birthdays and graduations and all the moments in between become transcendent, set to a soundtrack spanning the years from Coldplay's Yellow to Arcade Fire's Deep Blue. BOYHOOD is both a nostalgic time capsule of the recent past and an ode to growing up and parenting. It's impossible to watch Mason and his family without thinking about our own journey.

I must admit that I found the story very interesting and the change in the cast over the time especially the boy and his sister was transforming to say the least. The story was filmed for one week each year over 12 years. Definitely a recommended film and has to rate in my top films for 2014

The buzz on there street is that it is the inside bet for Best Picture and Best Director. I can certainly agree with Best Director but just not so sure as Best Picture

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This would have been interesting from a technical point of view. They didn't have the quality of cameras, resolution and technical expertise 12yr. ago that we do now. Can you see the progression of the quality of filming? Certainly they didn't use the same camera from 12yr. ago.... or did they?

See it just won "Best Movie" at the Golden Globes.

Steve Williams

This would have been interesting from a technical point of view. They didn't have the quality of cameras, resolution and technical expertise 12yr. ago that we do now. Can you see the progression of the quality of filming? Certainly they didn't use the same camera from 12yr. ago.... or did they?

See it just won "Best Movie" at the Golden Globes.

I see he also won the the GG for Best Director. Not sure about the cameras used. Ingenious movie but not enough for me to say Best Picture.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
finally will get to see this and hopefully Sniper this weekend. i'm looking forward to Boyhood, but its definitely a "film." several of my friends think its overrated, but probably wins anyways. if its in the Garden State type genre, i know i will love it. and everybody likes a coming of age story..

Steve Williams

finally will get to see this and hopefully Sniper this weekend. i'm looking forward to Boyhood, but its definitely a "film." several of my friends think its overrated, but probably wins anyways.

It is over rated and unfortunately it will indeed win. Just an average story but the fact that it was filmed over 12 years is a novelty for Hollywood

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing