OPPENHEIMER - Official Trailer

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This one looks really good......

Written and Directed by: Christopher Nolan Produced by: Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan Written and directed by Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer is an IMAX ® -shot epic thriller that thrusts audiences into the pulse-pounding paradox of the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it. The film stars Cillian Murphy as J. Robert Oppenheimer and Emily Blunt as his wife, biologist and botanist Katherine “Kitty” Oppenheimer. Oscar ® winner Matt Damon portrays General Leslie Groves Jr., director of the Manhattan Project, and Robert Downey, Jr. plays Lewis Strauss, a founding commissioner of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission. Academy Award ® nominee Florence Pugh plays psychiatrist Jean Tatlock, Benny Safdie plays theoretical physicist Edward Teller, Michael Angarano plays Robert Serber and Josh Hartnett plays pioneering American nuclear scientist Ernest Lawrence. Oppenheimer also stars Oscar ® winner Rami Malek and reunites Nolan with eight-time Oscar ® nominated actor, writer and filmmaker Kenneth Branagh. The cast includes Dane DeHaan (Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets), Dylan Arnold (Halloween franchise), David Krumholtz (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs), Alden Ehrenreich (Solo: A Star Wars Story) and Matthew Modine (The Dark Knight Rises). The film is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and the late Martin J. Sherwin. The film is produced by Emma Thomas, Atlas Entertainment’s Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. Oppenheimer is filmed in a combination of IMAX ® 65mm and 65mm large-format film photography including, for the first time ever, sections in IMAX ® black and white analogue photography. Nolan’s films, including Tenet, Dunkirk, Interstellar, Inception and The Dark Knight trilogy, have earned more than $5 billion at the global box office and have been awarded 11 Oscars and 36 nominations, including two Best Picture nominations.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
New trailer dropped. Can't wait for this one!

Steve Williams

Saw the movie this afternoon to a completely packed theater. A wonderful and somewhat chilling story with many cameo roles. Suffice it to say Cillian Murphy has become one heck of a leading man in heavy duty roles. I must admit that after seeing the movie Red Eye, I hated the guy because of the character he played. The movie was a long 3 hours. I say "long" as the movie was 90% dialogue and 10% action.It portrays the story well of Robert Oppenheimer and the man he was. It is definitely a worth while movie to see but some how I was expecting more. I think it will garner many academy nominations but the big name in the film its Cillian Murphy who played the role to perfection. I thought the early part of Oppenheimer's life was done extremely well as it showed him in every possible light including his affair with a woman who was a card carrying member of the American Communist Party as well as Oppenheimer's affiliation.

The movie has scored high marks with an 88% on IMDB and a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes
Cameo roles by
Matt Damon.
Kenneth Branaugh
Toni Goldwyn
Matthew Modine
Ravi Malek

Key Roles to Emily Blunt and Robert Downey Jr.

AS stated the movie is dialogue heavy and continues at a very rapid pace so keep your ears open and finely tuned.

The movie received a standing ovation in the theater in which we saw it

Cillian Murphy lost a huge amount weight where he was eating Nan almond and an apple slice at dinner each night to reduce weight for the role. Murphy won't divulge how much he lost as he was all skin and bone. Emily Blunt and Robert Downey Jr had strong roles and I can see Robert Downey Jr nominated for Best Supporting.

Two thumbs' up.

Reactions: Golum and Husk

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Just returned from seeing Oppenheimer. Very well done. As Steve noted you need to pay attention to pick up on all the dialogue, but it is well worth it if you do.

There are so many fine performances even within some of the smaller roles. Robert Downy Jr. probably will get a supporting actor nomination as Steve noted.

this is my type of movie.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
SAw it yesterday afternoon at the local IMAX.
First its really long and to be honest very slow the first 90- minutes or so, I had trouble keeping my eyes open. Its very Stylized and Nolanized.
I think the acting was very well done but the early parts are very dialogue oriented and its easy to get bored.There is some tension in the movie but there is very little action. I can see a few actors being recognized for their work, as Murphy and Downey were excellent.
IMO Hollywood really has lost the magic that great movies used to have and there is this dependance of schtick and styleover substance. This would have been a much better thing done on HBO or Showtime IMO where they had the time to do this right. It is an import part of history and personally I think they did a decent but not great job. I do realize that I am a tough please and it is why I stopped going to themovies for along time and thetwo flicks I have seen since my return were good but not great.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
SAw it yesterday afternoon at the local IMAX.
First its really long and to be honest very slow the first 90- minutes or so, I had trouble keeping my eyes open. Its very Stylized and Nolanized.
I think the acting was very well done but the early parts are very dialogue oriented and its easy to get bored.There is some tension in the movie but there is very little action. I can see a few actors being recognized for their work, as Murphy and Downey were excellent.
IMO Hollywood really has lost the magic that great movies used to have and there is this dependance of schtick and styleover substance. This would have been a much better thing done on HBO or Showtime IMO where they had the time to do this right. It is an import part of history and personally I think they did a decent but not great job. I do realize that I am a tough please and it is why I stopped going to themovies for along time and thetwo flicks I have seen since my return were good but not great.
If you liked Cillian Murphy's performance in Oppenheimer, check him out in the NETFLIX series Peaky Blinders....you definitely won't have any problem with "keeping my eyes open"....plenty of action.....and excellent ensemble acting by the entire cast.... especially Cillian Murphy.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The entire movie is all dialogue. there were no action scenes so yes as I said in my review you have to pay attention as it’s all dialogue

you have to pay careful attention to dialogues of each Nolan movie.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
If you liked Cillian Murphy's performance in Oppenheimer, check him out in the NETFLIX series Peaky Blinders....you definitely won't have any problem with "keeping my eyes open"....plenty of action.....and excellent ensemble acting by the entire cast.... especially Cillian Murphy.
Thanks . I tried this a while ago and to be honest couldnt get into and then I cancelled netflick. Ozark wasdone and thats really why I got it.
Watching Paramount Plus mostly. I am a big Taylor Sheridan fan. Hoping that Lioness will be good.
One of my fav's Justified just came back and if you have never watched it the show , 7 seasons I believe was amazing. That to me is great stuff.

Steve Williams

MRJAZZ said:
We binged Peaky Blinders. Saw all 6 seasons in 8 days. He was fabulous in the role. Sadly it never won a single award.
I first saw Cillian Murphy in Red Eyes as the villain. In Peaky he was major villain but what a great role

Reactions: MRJAZZ

Steve Williams

Thanks . I tried this a while ago and to be honest couldnt get into and then I cancelled netflick. Ozark wasdone and thats really why I got it.
Watching Paramount Plus mostly. I am a big Taylor Sheridan fan. Hoping that Lioness will be good.
One of my fav's Justified just came back and if you have never watched it the show , 7 seasons I believe was amazing. That to me is great stuff.
Ozark was another of our big favorites

Reactions: MRJAZZ

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
christopher nolan and cillian murphy have been working together for a long time. Batman trilogy, inception i liked him in both films.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Agree on Justified.... Superb series...all 7 seasons were equally excellent. Haven't seen the new one on Hulu.... Yet...!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
First its really long and to be honest very slow the first 90- minutes or so, I had trouble keeping my eyes open.
I had the first 90 minutes engaging, but I think too much time was spent on the security clearance renewal hearing.

I would have reallocated that hearing time to more time spent on the monumental challenges and setbacks the scientists faced along the road to building the bomb.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Overall I thought the movie was excellent.

The movie reminded me that when I was 21 years old I was working in Washington, D.C. for a pro American defense lobbying group called the American Defense Foundation. Somehow I contacted Edward Teller, and I organized for the American Defense Foundation an event at which Edward Teller was the keynote speaker.

IMG_0220.jpeg

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Finally saw Oppenheimer and I thought it was great. Terrific story, great acting and great editing. Top performances by Murphy, Blunt and Downey, Jr. All three are award deserving.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing