Better Than Class A amp?

Not that hot. It only gets very warm when listening to music. I leave them on and the cool down substantially with no signal flowing through them. I think it's best to just leave them on all of the time.

Hi dallasjustice,

I am eagerly waiting for your Kaluga report.

I need a good and powerful poweramp for my Magico S5, Mola Mola may be very suitable for this task.

BTW how warm is the Kaluga when they are kept turned on continuously?
I live in Hong Kong and the summer room temperature can be quite high, particularly when there is nobody at home and the air-conditioning is shut down in daytime.

Many thanks!

CK

For completion's sake, here is the info page on the Kaluga mono amp.

http://www.onahighernote.com/molamola/?c=19

Price is $18K. The amp is based on a custom amplification module derived from the standard NCore NC1200.

Guido

Hi Michael, I agree with you completely.... NCore-based amps enjoy an enviable PPR (Price/Performance Ratio)... Particularly once these devices have had the chance of breaking in so to give their best. They sound very good just off the "factory floor".... But if the user has the patience of husbanding their progress through their extended break-in, NCore amps become totally amazing... Way beyond what I expect from their price point.

I have not had those Mola-Mola darlings in my system yet, but Merrill Veritas continued to bloomed for 1000 hours, and the transformer-coupled Rowland M925 reached full maturity in about 1500 hours.

Bottomline is that, not only patience is golden, but... It is more than worth it!

Guido

Just after one day: these amps sound very similar to the previous ncore 1200 amps I tested in this thread. The difference I hear off the bat is that the mola mola is a gentler more tubelike sound. I really love it. It sounds like it might be a little more resolving too. It's a strange combo: more transparency yet more tubey sounding. I usually don't like tubes because they usually give up detail in favor of that tube sweetness. The mola mola is the best of both worlds.

Who would have thought a class D amp would be the one best suited to bridge the solid state and tube gap? I think Bruno is being modest when he describes the advantages of his amp design. It's competitive with ANY amp. I would put this beyond the reach of my former Soultuion 710 for sure.

Just after one day: these amps sound very similar to the previous ncore 1200 amps I tested in this thread. The difference I hear off the bat is that the mola mola is a gentler more tubelike sound. I really love it. It sounds like it might be a little more resolving too. It's a strange combo: more transparency yet more tubey sounding. I usually don't like tubes because they usually give up detail in favor of that tube sweetness. The mola mola is the best of both worlds.

Who would have thought a class D amp would be the one best suited to bridge the solid state and tube gap? I think Bruno is being modest when he describes the advantages of his amp design. It's competitive with ANY amp. I would put this beyond the reach of my former Soultuion 710 for sure.

Which tube amplifiers are you referring to that you've had on your YGs?

Hi dallasjustice,

I am eagerly waiting for your Kaluga report.

I need a good and powerful poweramp for my Magico S5, Mola Mola may be very suitable for this task.

BTW how warm is the Kaluga when they are kept turned on continuously?
I live in Hong Kong and the summer room temperature can be quite high, particularly when there is nobody at home and the air-conditioning is shut down in daytime.

Many thanks!

CK

Soon Devialet will have SAM for the S5 - at that time you should try it!

Soon Devialet will have SAM for the S5 - at that time you should try it!

Hi microstrip,

Yes, I am considering the SAM-equipped Devialet too.
But I don't know why the S5 which got >100 votes previously but is now reduced to 55 votes. :(

CK

How is the tonality of these amps? Do they get your feet tapping and head bobbing?

How is the tonality of these amps? Do they get your feet tapping and head bobbing?

Sorry Worldcat. I'm not a reviewer. I own my gear. The system crime built, if you will. :eek:

To answer your question: I tap my toes and move around with with much lesser gear. The mola mola amps are for the more ambitious music lovers.

There's no tonality. Great amps don't have tonality. They simply push the speaker to their max ability. The mola mola amps certainly do that.

Gotcha! Well not my cup of tea. I see where your going with the sound you like. I get now why you pick the gear you do and like. Not that its a bad thing its just what your after and your likes.:D

Sorry Worldcat. I'm not a reviewer. I own my gear. The system crime built, if you will. :eek:

To answer your question: I tap my toes and move around with with much lesser gear. The mola mola amps are for the more ambitious music lovers.

There's no tonality. Great amps don't have tonality. They simply push the speaker to their max ability. The mola mola amps certainly do that.

Gotcha! Well not my cup of tea. I see where your going with the sound you like. I get now why you pick the gear you do and like. Not that its a bad thing its just what your after and your likes.:D
If you like the music, what does "tonality" do to make it better?

Actually, I own everything I my system save for one or two cables or what's being reviewed. And so do many, many reviewers. You seem to like to promulgate that myth. Does Michael Fremer own everything in his system? You like to take one instance and generalize it to the population. Check PFO and you can see who owns what and what's on loan.

And yet you wrote they remind you of tube amps. If it is not about tone, or any kind of flavor, what do you mean, exactly? Are you saying the mola mola amps have no sound whatsoever? I find that difficult to believe, with all do respect.

It seems that Michael Fremer bought and owns his turntable, though perhaps at a discount.

Last edited:
What i mean by that is does the instruments and singers sound real. Not so much totally transparency to source.

I understand. They sound very resolving and neutral. The bass and mid bass is far beyond anything before it. Everything is very realistic. I would say the HF are on par with Krell 900e and Soulution 710 but the bass is way beyond either of those amps. It really shows with complex and dynamic music. There's total control no matter the music. They are a little higher gain than the Krell and I end up listening louder. They like to play loud. Most amps get to a point where you want to turn it down. I haven't found that point with the mola mola amps.

Dear Michael & All,

I would like to know whether Mola Mola Kaluga has been formally launched and available in retailers for sale or not.

6moons is still waiting for their review sample.
There isn't many dealer advertizement/announcement or user/magazine review except in Taiwan.

My dealer has 2 pair in flight cases.

Dear Michael & All,

I would like to know whether Mola Mola Kaluga has been formally launched and available in retailers for sale or not.

6moons is still waiting for their review sample.
There isn't many dealer advertizement/announcement or user/magazine review except in Taiwan.

The magic of NCore at its best is that it has the potential to deliver the entire audible frequency spectrum as a linear experience, from the deep bass to the high treble… There are no obvious areas of overpressure, nor suckouts…. And throughout the spectrum, there are harmonics that ripple, and let you “see” deep into the music.

But, like Michael is hinting at… Watch that volume knob… As Ncore seems to defeat any attempts by the rest of the system to intermodulate the treble, you will not hear that tell tale of jarriness in the higher frequencies, which might have warned you that your neighbours are just about having enough of you and of your *bleeping!* music, and are in fact preparing to serve you with a piece of their irate minds in no time flat *grins!*

G.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing