Best sporty car under 65k...

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
PPS- here's another thought- an acquired taste perhaps. Skyline GT-R. This is not a 'sporty' car- that would be like calling Godzilla a large reptile. It is a bona fide supercar, you don't see many of them, it is a cult car in japanese car circles and it is made by a huge company.
You certainly don't need something like this, but it could be fun, especially for other drivers who have no clue what it is really about. And in keeping with ZZ's earlier good advice, find one that was in somebody's collection that hasn't been abused.

they're pretty common in socal, popular with asian 'parachute kids' here for college. a client took me for ride in his with a claimed 900 hp GReddy upgraded mill. i have nothin' in my experience to compare it with but the acceleration took my jaded breath away - easily the quickest car ive ever ridden in or will ever ride in again for that matter.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
what about a used BMW 650...2010 or so...Fantastic looking....back seats are usable... 55-60k+/- hardtop...

of course a used 911...Carerra S, 4s...back seat are questionable unless you have small kids...

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
what about a used BMW 650...2010 or so...Fantastic looking....back seats are usable... 55-60k+/- hardtop...

of course a used 911...Carerra S, 4s...back seat are questionable unless you have small kids...

The 650 is such a good suggestion--beautiful looking, mainstream maker that can get serviced, driver-oriented. I think Keith (OP) said no 911s. The 'M' version of the current 6 series was a bargain supercar.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Traffic & Police

STRONG car. Between traffic & police, you can not really use the performance of great cars. AND there are just as many idiots at the Tracks on lapping days. So you might as well have a TANK for any unfortunate situations.
zz

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
STRONG car. Between traffic & police, you can not really use the performance of great cars. AND there are just as many idiots at the Tracks on lapping days. So you might as well have a TANK for any unfortunate situations.
zz
Which is one of the reasons I lost interest in 'supercars.' My last 'significant' car was a prewar boattail- hair-raising at 50 mph. Morgan 3 wheeler may be my next special interest car for the same reason.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I always lusted after the GT-R. Until I drove one. Ride quality and interior quality were unacceptable to me. Even friend's R8 - which is a true supercar - is more comfortable.

I would go with the Audi S5/RS5 any day of the week. Still fast (not GT-R fast but faster than most cars on the road anyway), comfortable, beautifully made (typical Audi).

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I'm not a fan of the GTR. Can't see out of the thing, cornering 2 tons isn't my idea of fun, and the isolation from the elements ...well... no thanks. Plus the thing is an automatic! The numbers are great; the drive not so much.

Sorry, S5/RS5 is a German equivalent of a Buick with more horsepower. A nice GT, a great cruiser, but ultimately - sport-wise - a poseurmobile.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Which is one of the reasons I lost interest in 'supercars.' My last 'significant' car was a prewar boattail- hair-raising at 50 mph. Morgan 3 wheeler may be my next special interest car for the same reason.

We need to meet, Bill.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
We need to meet, Bill.

Easy enough to do Felix. I rarely come to Manhattan any more, but if you have wheels, and want to visit the country...
I'm also long overdue to hook up with Dr. Astor.
FWIW, my taste in cars at this point is in the odd and arcane. Grant you, the japanese 'supercars' are not my thing either.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'm not a fan of the GTR. Can't see out of the thing, cornering 2 tons isn't my idea of fun, and the isolation from the elements ...well... no thanks. Plus the thing is an automatic! The numbers are great; the drive not so much.

Sorry, S5/RS5 is a German equivalent of a Buick with more horsepower. A nice GT, a great cruiser, but ultimately - sport-wise - a poseurmobile.

I can't use a manual anymore (I'm now paralyzed), so there is definitely going to be compromise since I use hand controls and have to swing a chair in/out of the car. Otherwise, a 3-year old 997 would be in my garage.

The 6-series is a decent idea if the RS5 isn't a good fit. I just hate paying the huge premium over the 5 for the same chassis with 2 doors.

re: GTR- it's really gotten expensive for what it is now. and it reminds me of the car from Cannonball Run which isn't a good thing :)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

Not sure if you had ever driven one. To me RS5 is the ultimate daily drivern car - fast, comfortable, big trunk, lots of features, beautifully looking and excellently build. But since keith said - it is not a good fit for him, so case closed.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Not sure if you had ever driven one. To me RS5 is the ultimate daily drivern car - fast, comfortable, big trunk, lots of features, beautifully looking and excellently build. But since keith said - it is not a good fit for him, so case closed.

I have driven both, and you essentially echo exactly what I said.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Then you only havn't read the original post (sporty, not sport or supercar). No prob.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Actually I am driving an RS5 this weekend - and do indeed hope I fit :)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Be sure to try the Sport mode - it changes the exhaust sound.

The coolest feature of this car is how the exhaust barks when downshifting - as if soneone was blipping the accelerator pedal.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
So the dealer sold the RS5 the day before I got there---but after driving a regular S5 w/ sports differential, decided that was enough at this juncture. While not an RS5/M3, it' will be a better daily driver in LA and drives very well despite the weight. I'd rather spend the difference on audio :)

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
So the dealer sold the RS5 the day before I got there---but after driving a regular S5 w/ sports differential, decided that was enough at this juncture. While not an RS5/M3, it' will be a better daily driver in LA and drives very well despite the weight. I'd rather spend the difference on audio :)

Nice to see this thread get a bump. I forgot to mention that my BMW, 2003 540i std trans, all M upgrades was a far finer daily driver than the M itself (the beast).

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

So bought the S5 eventually ?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Nice to see this thread get a bump. I forgot to mention that my BMW, 2003 540i std trans, all M upgrades was a far finer daily driver than the M itself (the beast).

That's funny you mention it- I owned a 540i6 back in 2005. Fun car, although mine was in the shop every 90 days!

Elberoth- I'm in process of purchasing the S5. It was shipped from another dealer, so i haven't taken delivery.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
That's funny you mention it- I owned a 540i6 back in 2005. Fun car, although mine was in the shop every 90 days!

Elberoth- I'm in process of purchasing the S5. It was shipped from another dealer, so i haven't taken delivery.

Drive and enjoy in the best of health!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing