Best sporty car under 65k...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Alright, similar to the other thread- but definitely not a convertible. 4 seats is a must as well (though 2 doors is preferable)- note- 911s don't work for me. New or used is fine.

I am driving an Audi S5 next week - it's more of a GT, but a nice all around car from the reviews.

KeithR

Last edited:

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
There is no real sport alternative with 4 seats in that price range, other than an EvoX. I'm talking relatively hardcore. I'm guessing you'd hate it. You may want to wait a few months for the A45 AMG and see what you think. Good luck.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
#1 Buy a car that is just out of warranty; just out of warranty kills the resale value [but you must know the values].
#2 Try to buy the car with under 5,000 miles; they are out there. Low mileage give the previous owners less time to kill it.
#3 Do not buy a car with any aftermarkets.
#4 Have 3 inspections done by reputable people - two comprehensive and one by an established high end collision shop - they see things. [my last very expensive vehicle 2,700 miles was bought out of state & unseen by me - I do not advise this for a newbie]
#5 Make sure you have a Great & Trustworthy mechanic for the exact vehicle you might buy [do not trust or mistrust dealerships - be aware & informed]
These are some of my instructions to myself in this type of situation.

This is a start, and it dramatically broadens the field of available vehicles you desire.

Be careful, be knowledgeable,
zz

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
#1 Buy a car that is just out of warranty; just out of warranty kills the resale value [but you must know the values].
#2 Try to buy the car with under 5,000 miles; they are out there. Low mileage give the previous owners less time to kill it.
#3 Do not buy a car with any aftermarkets.
#4 Have 3 inspections done by reputable people - two comprehensive and one by an established high end collision shop - they see things. [my last very expensive vehicle 2,700 miles was bought out of state & unseen by me - I do not advise this for a newbie]
#5 Make sure you have a Great & Trustworthy mechanic for the exact vehicle you might buy [do not trust or mistrust dealerships - be aware & informed]
These are some of my instructions to myself in this type of situation.

This is a start, and it dramatically broadens the field of available vehicles you desire.

Be careful, be knowledgeable,
zz

Doesn't your #1 and #2 severely conflict with each other??

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Not if you figure in the time aspect.

Besides rich people, who buys an expensive car and puts less than 5K miles on it before the warranty runs out?

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Doesn't your #1 and #2 severely conflict with each other??
Hi Mep,
I bought a Bentley Continental just out of warranty [5 year] with 2 thousand 7 hundred miles on it.
Paid approximately 50% of the current new car price.
Not a scratch on the vehicle.
If you were in the neighborhood we could go for a ride.

By the way, I follow many of your comments because you are Very Well Informed.

Best to you,
zz

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Why ZZ, I would love to go for a ride in your Bentley on the way to a great bar/restaurant.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I'm thinking a one year old top level E class. Just saw a mighty fine E class rag top parked at the local Sushi bar, god it was beautiful. "sporty" not sports Car.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Why ZZ, I would love to go for a ride in your Bentley on the way to a great bar/restaurant.
We can take the Bentley out on a non-rainy weekend [less abusive traffic]. My daily driver is a 3/4 ton pickup truck. So Mep, do you live in the Bellevue, WA area?
zz

mep

Apr 20, 2010
We can take the Bentley out on a non-rainy weekend [less abusive traffic]. My daily driver is a 3/4 ton pickup truck. So Mep, do you live in the Bellevue, WA area?
zz

Nope, not even close-I live in Indiana. I have been to Puget Sound before and Whitby Island and I learned that if it doesn't rain for 24 hours consecutively, it doesn't count as rain in WA.

Last edited:

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
I'm thinking a one year old top level E class. Just saw a mighty fine E class rag top parked at the local Sushi bar, god it was beautiful. "sporty" not sports Car.

Check prices of the "one year old top level" across the USA. You will probably find a significant difference. That knowledge will give you a better bargaining position. Dealers rape people on their trade-ins, but they do not want you to get any of the benefit. I am surprised that Goldman Sachs does not have dealerships.

zz

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I'd look at a used Panamera.

lot's of people (mostly those who are not on this market segment) say it's ugly, but really - I think it is a beautiful car in person.. if I don't have a bad back and will be buying a car, this will be on top of my shopping list (unfortunately I struggle to get in and out of it). The interior of the Panamera is gorgeous as well.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'd look at a used Panamera.

lot's of people (mostly those who are not on this market segment) say it's ugly, but really - I think it is a beautiful car in person.. if I don't have a bad back and will be buying a car, this will be on top of my shopping list (unfortunately I struggle to get in and out of it). The interior of the Panamera is gorgeous as well.

I like the Panamera quite a bit- although the way the 4-door coupe works (the B pillar is pretty far up bc of it), I struggled to get in/out of one. It was quite spacious inside, which surprised me.

btw, I've had my 4Runner going on 7 years - before that I had a 540i6 and Boxster S.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I like the Panamera quite a bit- although the way the 4-door coupe works (the B pillar is pretty far up bc of it), I struggled to get in/out of one. It was quite spacious inside, which surprised me.

btw, I've had my 4Runner going on 7 years - before that I had a 540i6 and Boxster S.

it's a shame that the B pillar has to be far up front (same with the Cadillac CTS-V). I did not have to struggle as much with the much smaller Mazda 2 hatchback that we rented for a week in California.

The word was Porsche CEO was not too warm with the idea of a 4 door coupe and said that he will only go with the proposal if he could fit/sit nicely in the back seat, which also led to the rather different body shape.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Cars can be such a personal choice, I like a lot of the options people have proposed. I agree about buying used, from a reliable source, and getting a very qualified PPI done by someone independent of the seller. I guess I have a few questions:
Will this be a daily driver? Are you looking for WoW factor? Exotics like newer Aston Martins (which have parsimonious back seats) depreciate like rocks, but the cost of parts and maintenance will make your eyes water. I gather that the newish Lotus 2+2 is a great car, but you're probably going to have cramps in the back seat there too (and I never liked old Lotus QC, but perhaps the newer ones are better. They can be huge fun to drive).
The newish BMW M1 is the bomb, from a very driver oriented-mainstream manufacturer (my wife loves her 335 coupe with 6 speed and this is her 6th or 7th BMW, I've lost count) but those were going over list to favored customers when new- I suspect they still fetch a premium but that's a very desirable car. Overall, for a mainstream, non-exotic brand, I do think Porsche makes the best sports car on the road (and track). By extension, the Panamerica would probably be a very fun car to drive. MB has certainly come back strong in the last few years. I doubt you can get a stick in any of them, Stateside.
I don't like driving big cars anymore, so I'm not going to be terribly helpful on the latest models. On the big canoes, I loved the VW Phateon, it's sad that VW was so clueless when they introduced it. But it was a luxo-tank in big engine form at a great price.
PS one other thought, and I never thought of Jaguar as a reliable car, but the last run of the old XJ6 with the 'R' motor was as good as it got for what it was- luxurious, comfy, and it moved. Of course, those are getting a tad long in the tooth.
PPS- here's another thought- an acquired taste perhaps. Skyline GT-R. This is not a 'sporty' car- that would be like calling Godzilla a large reptile. It is a bona fide supercar, you don't see many of them, it is a cult car in japanese car circles and it is made by a huge company.
You certainly don't need something like this, but it could be fun, especially for other drivers who have no clue what it is really about. And in keeping with ZZ's earlier good advice, find one that was in somebody's collection that hasn't been abused.

Last edited:

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
hennessey-performance-cts-v1000.jpg
this is on auction at ebay for $259k

but the stock version is 556 hp and can be had for less than $65k, hopefully it is sporty enough for you ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing