Best PCM DACs?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good to know...thanks. How much are GG and B7?

In EUR 11k and 14k roughly, plus VAT, cost depends on configuration. The original WE 101Ds cost around $2k, while the 101d replicas can be had either stock or around $400, with other valves like 6A3 at even USD 100. You can guess the ex-dem or used prices.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Which Big Lampi - the Big 7 or the Golden Gate?

I'm told that the new Lite 7 Lampizator will be in action next week at The Show Newport Beach. The newest entrant in the "7" family for $6k.

I want it all. GG Baby!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
In EUR 11k and 14k roughly, plus VAT, cost depends on configuration. The original WE 101Ds cost around $2k, while the 101d replicas can be had either stock or around $400, with other valves like 6A3 at even USD 100. You can guess the ex-dem or used prices.

thanks

maslak34

Ypsilon dac 100 easily the best.. Silver version is untouchable

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

maslak34

Msb diamond dac IV with umt transport and seperate power supply,emm labs (can't remember the model but 2 piece seperate dac and transport) gryphon kalliope dac, msb analog are the ones I compared the dac 100 with.

Easily hands down the Ypsilon is more detailed more musical and portray a layer after layer after layer soundstage.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Msb diamond dac IV with umt transport and seperate power supply,emm labs (can't remember the model but 2 piece seperate dac and transport) gryphon kalliope dac, msb analog are the ones I compared the dac 100 with.

Easily hands down the Ypsilon is more detailed more musical and portray a layer after layer after layer soundstage.

The Lampi Big 7 is much better than the The MSB Diamond DAC IV (even the plus version, with Galaxy Femto Clock option). I had both (and still own Lampi).

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Stahl Tek Opus Prime ! Going for silly money on resale . A hidden gem !!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Stahl Tek Opus Prime ! Going for silly money on resale . A hidden gem !!!

I agree...as does (as i have read some time ago) Atmasphere and Albert Porter whose name figures prominently on Audiogon forums. And the Stahl-Tek i heard was the original Vekian some 4+ years ago...its has since gone on to to Vekian Special, Opus, then Jazzhead's Opus Prime. People have gone quiet on it at AE some time ago, but its still great imho and of all the digital i've heard was truly the first that made think (long and hard) about trading in my beloved Zanden for it. The only others to a lesser extent that did this were the DCS Vivaldi and the Metronome Kalista/C2A, but it was the Stahl-Tek about which i thought long and hard for a number of months.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
L
I agree...as does (as i have read some time ago) Atmasphere and Albert Porter whose name figures prominently on Audiogon forums. And the Stahl-Tek i heard was the original Vekian some 4+ years ago...its has since gone on to to Vekian Special, Opus, then Jazzhead's Opus Prime. People have gone quiet on it at AE some time ago, but its still great imho and of all the digital i've heard was truly the first that made think (long and hard) about trading in my beloved Zanden for it. The only others to a lesser extent that did this were the DCS Vivaldi and the Metronome Kalista/C2A, but it was the Stahl-Tek about which i thought long and hard for a number of months.

A friend who owns the ST Prime , recently heard the Trinity DAC at Dietmar's house . His take that while the Trinity had a more precise presentation with better stop start to notes , the ST Prime had a a better analogous flow to proceedings with about equal detail and resolution . Only passing on what I was told , keen myself to compare the two .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
L

A friend who owns the ST Prime , recently heard the Trinity DAC at Dietmar's house . His take that while the Trinity had a more precise presentation with better stop start to notes , the ST Prime had a a better analogous flow to proceedings with about equal detail and resolution . Only passing on what I was told , keen myself to compare the two .

Interesting...good to know. If you hear it, let me know what you think. I have a pretty good handle on your tastes which i respect a lot, so would be particularly interested in what you think.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
L

Your friend must have some supernatural powers.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Interesting...good to know. If you hear it, let me know what you think. I have a pretty good handle on your tastes which i respect a lot, so would be particularly interested in what you think.

Will do Sir, am honored . Thank you

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
He does run with the devil..

Must be. I was never able to tell how an individual component sounds, having listened to it only once, in a completely unfamiliar system and room.

A lucky guy indeed ;)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Must be. I was never able to tell how an individual component sounds, having listened to it only once, in a completely unfamiliar system and room.

A lucky guy indeed ;)

Yes, rather difficult to discern the SQ of a single unit amongst a chain :D , maybe his comments were based more on a perceived house sound . IMG_6211.JPG IMG_6210.JPG

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
What do you think the best DAC is for classical music? (I am under the impression it would not be a Lampi).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What do you think the best DAC is for classical music? (I am under the impression it would not be a Lampi).

Why that impression, since I average one classical concert every week to ten days at the Barbican, royal festival hall, etc, and use mussorgsky pictures, schehrezade, Bach chorals for audition, and I have never heard bass, speed and slam on classical (Gnomus, for example), replicated on anything like a Lampi. Not to mention spaciousness ahs soundstage. Would be a mistake if you dismiss it as a strawman valve component that eats details. In fact it is hyper detailed. 101ds are best for orchestral, I like 6a3s for opera.

You need the 7 though, 5 will have less details and is not ideal for complex music. 7 is a different design and animal

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Why that impression, since I average one classical concert every week to ten days at the Barbican, royal festival hall, etc, and use mussorgsky pictures, schehrezade, Bach chorals for audition, and I have never heard bass, speed and slam on classical (Gnomus, for example), replicated on anything like a Lampi. Not to mention spaciousness ahs soundstage. Would be a mistake if you dismiss it as a strawman valve component that eats details. In fact it is hyper detailed. 101ds are best for orchestral, I like 6a3s for opera.

You need the 7 though, 5 will have less details and is not ideal for complex music. 7 is a different design and animal

I was going off a review of the Big 7 (by the owner of Audio Shark) that said it wasn't good for classical and that the product wasn't aimed at classical music lovers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing