Banned for life....what's your story?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Of course the most dangerous aspect of censorship is "prior restraint". It is one thing to hold someone responsible for what you say. Banning prohibits you from saying anything. I have a certain radar for BS arguments. That is not so much for the content but the way the argument is phrased. I some times get mad. Reading the arguments on another forum probably gave me more insight on my myself than anything else. Three very intelligent people descended into name calling and character attacks. So much so it blotted out everything they had to say.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i've never been banned (or even come close that i know about) on any forum. maybe i'm too PC for my own good. i just figure if i would not say it in person why should i type it? the real idiots are just cowards hiding behind a keyboard. the web can bring the worst out in some people.

occasionally i do get my dander up, but then realize that i'm here for fun only. i've posted things and then deleted them realizing that they were too negative or personal. we all have feelings but are expected to act like adults.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have never been banned from any forum either.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Aside from bein just plain crazy or antisocial, most people get banned they can't get people to accept whatever it is they know to be true. When all the evidence is either for them or against them. Of course the reason people can't agree with them is because they are clearly a @#$^&*and a *&^%$#)(&^%$.
It's usually the last part that does them in. Of course is does not help if the person who is a #$$%^&* has the power to ban you.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Interesting. You think racism is a joke.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I been banned from a Political forum or two. Best thing that ever happened to me. I no longer have much interest in politics nor discussing them. Go figure....:p

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I been banned from a Political forum or two. Best thing that ever happened to me. I no longer have much interest in politics nor discussing them. Go figure....:p

i've never participated in forums on politics or religion, only once or twice on sports. those things start out so polarized that it's too much like real life. same with what i read; i read to escape, to get away. audio is like that too. when it gets too real i do something else. i get my fill of reality every day, and don't need to find more of it.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Many forums have folks who are just readers. They are scared to open their mouth. Many folks like to just type away. Others, however, are critics, idea champions, and evangelists. What makes the forums so valuable is when people are bold and excited about sharing ideas. And this should be encouraged by the moderators. But as people get really passionate, emotions fly - especially when people hear what they don't want to hear. If disputes are not handled fairly by the moderators everyone suffers. IMO, being banned is usually about poor moderation.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Many forums have folks who are just readers. They are scared to open their mouth. Many folks like to just type away. Others, however, are critics, idea champions, and evangelists. What makes the forums so valuable is when people are bold and excited about sharing ideas. And this should be encouraged by the moderators. But as people get really passionate, emotions fly - especially when people hear what they don't want to hear. If disputes are not handled fairly by the moderators everyone suffers. IMO, being banned is usually about poor moderation.

I have noticed the same thing with many friends who for some unknown reason do NOT like to post. Heck, i just type away and who knows what will come out:D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

I like your post.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
IMO, being banned is usually about poor moderation.

On whose part? :)

So if two guys start brawling in a bar, it's the fault of the bouncers? I'd still pin it on the guy who grabbed the other guy's girl's butt. YMMV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing