Bang for the buck....

I was disappointed in the Magico room not because of the S5 Mkll which I really wanted to hear but rather because it was in a huge ball room where the focus was not on the speaker but rather tweaks from Synergistic Research which showed how to tame a room with the addition of a black box for bass and wall mounts all over the room and ceiling and then another tweak along the center front wall that were used to show the crowd how these things could change the sound. The speaker sounded great but we were interrupted by snippets of sound with and without the tweaks

A huge disappointment

that's why I skipped out on the Magico ballroom this year. they were the only Magicos at the show, which is a damn shame. I really wanted to hear the S5mk2s.

on the bottom floor, I heard the Revel Salons in a smaller ballroom and it was still impossible to really judge a thing.

I believe the Magico speakers in the huge ballroom that Ted Denney and Magico demo'ed in, were in fact the S7's and not the S5 mk2's!
I happened to sit next to Ricky Brown at this demo. Personally, I thought the room that this system was demo'ed in was crazy! WAY too big for the system. Ted went on about his magic black boxes and their room taming properties....while the audience suffered through snippets of sounds that were apparently designed to demonstrate the difference between the sound with and without the magic black boxes.
Now here's the thing, I couldn't help but think of the classic flim flam man scenarios that used to be popular in the day...and a question came to my mind......
Does Ted Denney really want to be thought of as the flim flam man in our hobby? Because IMHO that is what he seems to be setting himself up as.
I left about half way through his demo....to go and seek some real sound from some real systems/exhibitors that don't try to play these games....:(

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing