Bang for the buck....

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Since the Newport show is just around the corner, I thought it might be interesting to garner members opinions ( those that are attending) of the best bang for the buck at the show.
This year, there seem to be quite a few companies that are concentrating on not just exorbitantly priced gear, but also gear that is priced at the 'entry level'.
My friend, Andre Marc, remarked to me today that in some ways the entry level gear available today offers some of the best 'bang for the buck' in the history of the hobby. I agree with him 100%!

Last year the Elac's were the go to speaker for the entry level....what will this year's product be.:confused:

So, let's see what we can find at the show this year....

Just got back from Newport. There was one room that offered a brand of speaker that I had not heard of before...and at a very low price, plus....it's a KILLER piece!!!
Any thoughts on who they are....hint, it's NOT Elac!

For my ears the killer system (and yes it's sold as a complete system) is that sold by Roger Sanders. Speakers amp crossover etc all for $15K

Sound as always in this room was amongst the best

The system I am referring to cost just over $13K including amps, preamp, a $6K DAC, cables and these speakers!
Another hint, these speakers are also priced at just over $2,500!!!! I thought they were in some ways better than the vaunted Vandy 7's!!!

The system I am referring to cost just over $13K including amps, preamp, a $6K DAC, cables and these speakers!
Another hint, these speakers are also priced at just over $2,500!!!! I thought they were in some ways better than the vaunted Vandy 7's!!!

Can you stop the titillation? Please? :(... Can't take it anymore :(

:D

What was it?

For my ears the killer system (and yes it's sold as a complete system) is that sold by Roger Sanders. Speakers amp crossover etc all for $15K

Sound as always in this room was amongst the best

I agree but he never allows people to play their own music, so much harder to judge. IMO the dispersion pattern is too narrow but that's more personal preference than anything. Great speakers for sure though...

Other high value vendors are Odyssey, their $7kish system is always good. Also Pranafidelity with their Vayu and 5090 speakers, for $4k or $6.5k they are excellent.

Let's wait a little longer and see if anyone else picks up on this speaker. They were an easy stand-out at the show yesterday.:D

Obfuscation!

More of it and you will be suspended ...

:p

OK....if you say so...:p

Davey,

You should name the system as soon as possible - otherwise you risk we start debating why the "best bang for the buck" never lasts for more than a few days! :)

Davey,

You should name the system as soon as possible - otherwise you risk we start debating why the "best bang for the buck" never lasts for more than a few days! :)

I think it might be an idea to have some of the attendees comment on possible candidates. I will name the system ( speakers) prior to the start of tomorrow's opening, that way those in attendance can visit ( re-visit??) the room.
Nonetheless, I do think these speakers are a fabulous buy and should be on a very short list if you are looking for great speakers and at a more than fair price, IMHO.

Well Davey since you're playing coy with this I'm gonna give you my system that I considered the best bang for the buck. I didn't hear the system until today and I have to say it was jaw-dropping good. The system was that presented by Wendell at Magnepan with a three channel system. The speakers were $600 each with an inexpensive three channel amp, a Bryston processor that has the program for the Maggie center channel and inexpensive cable. No lights. Only sound. The sweet spot locked everything in like I've never heard before. Don't know the price but I'm betting under $13K. For my ears it was in the top 5 I heard. You could live with this forever.

Well Davey since you're playing coy with this I'm gonna give you my system that I considered the best bang for the buck. I didn't hear the system until today and I have to say it was jaw-dropping good. The system was that presented by Wendell at Magnepan with a three channel system. The speakers were $600 each with an inexpensive three channel amp, a Bryston processor that has the program for the Maggie center channel and inexpensive cable. No lights. Only sound. The sweet spot locked everything in like I've never heard before. Don't know the price but I'm betting under $13K. For my ears it was in the top 5 I heard. You could live with this forever.

The Maggie system was very good....
BUT the system that I think was amazing and the speakers are a LOT easier to drive are.......

The Spatial M3Turbo S's ($2595-)] in the room (404) that utilized the Lampi Lite 7 DAC, The Tortuga LDR3 preamp, The Red Dragon S500 amp and source- a MacBook Air on Audirvana. Cabling by Anticables, total system price: $13285-!

The Maggie system was very good....
BUT the system that I think was amazing and the speakers are a LOT easier to drive are.......

The Spatial M3 Turbo S's[/B ($2595-)] in the room (404) that utilized the Lampi Lite 7 DAC, The Tortuga LDR3 preamp, The Red Dragon S500 amp and source- a MacBook Air on Audirvana. Cabling by Anticables, total system price: $13285-!

Davey

You're not going to believe this but I have been looking at this speaker and was planning to audition it on my next trip to the US!

Davey

You're not going to believe this but I have been looking at this speaker and was planning to audition it on my next trip to the US!

Frantz, you really need to take a listen to these guys. They are an incredible deal IMO, and they are quite efficient...I think the rep said about 95db, so SET's are very doable.

Big Maggie supporter (you already knew that), when set up right they just disappear, completely. Heard this set up last year and was blown away at the amount of bass produced, they didn't even hook up the subs and it was fantastic.

When we settle into our next home and I have my room size I will figure out which model I want to get.

I agree but he never allows people to play their own music, so much harder to judge. IMO the dispersion pattern is too narrow but that's more personal preference than anything. Great speakers for sure though...

Other high value vendors are Odyssey, their $7kish system is always good. Also Pranafidelity with their Vayu and 5090 speakers, for $4k or $6.5k they are excellent.

Last year the Pranna room blew me and many others away, serious bang for the buck, I inquired about a purchase but relocating took priority.

The one other room that had my head shaking was Gary's room with the very unassuming and small speakers that were putting out big sound. I was talking to Gary with my back to the system and heard this big sound and my brain was telling me that there was not any speakers that big in the room. My surprise when I turned around to these little tiny speakers belting it out.

The one other room that had my head shaking was Gary's room with the very unassuming and small speakers that were putting out big sound. I was talking to Gary with my back to the system and heard this big sound and my brain was telling me that there was not any speakers that big in the room. My surprise when I turned around to these little tiny speakers belting it out.
Always a problem getting people to "get" that speakers don't have to be physically big for "big" sound to be reproduced - the audio friend down the road has tiny Tannoys on top of stands, but has no problem throwing up big sound spaces when the rest of the system is in the zone ...

..heard them at AXPONA and couldn't agree more. The company owner is the guy who founded Emerald Physics..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing