Bach: Goldberg Variations - 9 versions (quick notes)

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Her sometimes idiosyncratic approach might not be to all tastes, but I like it. Wonderfully rich sound.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Bachtoven...i like the way she played Goldberg Variation 5 quite a lot, slower than most but extremely good articulation of the notes so one can really appreciate the lyrical and yet mathematical beauty of the passage. Will order and listen all the way thru...given that its Telarc, hopefully, its also well recorded.

Her sometimes idiosyncratic approach might not be to all tastes, but I like it. Wonderfully rich sound.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just got Murray Perahia's on blu-spec 2nd hand...that must be 10 versions now? Yeesh! guess i like it!

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
given that its Telarc, hopefully, its also well recorded.

I'd think my "wonderfully rich sound" comment would imply that it is! ;) Of course, sound is so subjective.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'd think my "wonderfully rich sound" comment would imply that it is! ;) Of course, sound is so subjective.

Yes, you're right...got it. Thanks!

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
To be a little more detailed, the perspective is fairly close, which gives a solid sense of presence and body, but it is not claustrophobic or dry. The 1903 Steinway has a very full treble (not pingy) and rich, deep bass.

Last edited:

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
I only just noticed that the Razor and Tie label (usually a pop and metal one from what I can gather!) are releasing the Gould 1955 and 1981 performances on separate LPs later this year.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic version, Northstar...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I am listening to this right now, on digital CD ::

Music samples by clicking on it ^

Fantastic version, Northstar...

It sure is Lloyd,...according to my ears vibrating with my soul.

And it must sound totally magnificent in a hi-end stereo setup dedicated room.

Music 2 die 4? No, ...2 live 4.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As you will see from post #1, i only had 3 versions i listen to more often (I own 14 now):

1. Glenn Gould 1983: utterly cerebral, really makes one think about the relationship of notes, timing and as someone who studied...fingering
2. Rosalyn Tureck: old school, utterly disciplined, a bit romantic, but very deliberate and slow...just like my old school teacher taught me (and she performed with Horowitz back in the day)...but also traditional in that it is regularly paced...whereas Gould is uniquely timed
3. Jacques Loussier (jazz...think Brubeck plays Bach...absolutely phenomenal)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I do have the triple CD "A State of Wonder" (HDCD encoding) with both versions (1955 and 1981) plus outtakes on a third disc. ...Sony Classical - Legacy.
...With Glenn Gould of course.
Another one on Nonesuch record label, with the NES Chamber Orchestra.
The one on Deutsche Grammophon that I just posted.
And few more but I'm too lazy to get out of my chair on the veranda and look inside the mansion in one of the walls. :b ...But in my approximation I must have about ten different music selections on Bach - The Goldberg Variations.

? Right now I am listening to Mozart, on CD. ...Solo piano. ... Mikhail Pletnev - Mozart - piano sonatas ...also on Deutsche Grammophon.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Wanda rocks!

... and speaking of young impetuous and FAST - I have this picture in my head of the younger Gould playing Bach while being held upside down at the keyboard - like the party scene with Mozart in Amadeus

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
...The movie Amadeus? ...Great film. :cool:

* I am checking 'Wanda Landowska' right now, from just above...

______

The first one is the first ever one from 1933.

Last edited:

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
If you fancy harpsichord versions (and many don't!) you could do a lot worse than Pierre Hantai's excellent reading. It's idiomatic and full of dance (as Bach should always be IMO), and is a favourite of mine. He's recorded it twice, I think, but it's his first recording on Opus 111 I know best.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Traditional music instruments with traditional music from our famous centuries old music composers...is one right way to get wet and immersed in our music hobby.
...Soothing @ a higher level of music knowledge.

Not only I like harpsichord, harp (Andreas Vollenweider - I have half dozen of his recordings), organ, old violins, violas, cellos, dulcimers, ...etc., but I do have some music selections from time periods with those time period musical instruments. Analekta is a music record label with such classical music (I have half dozen of their recordings).
And Bach organ music I also listen to occasionally from another half dozen or so music selections in my collection.

Bach - The Goldberg Variations ...good stuff...no matter if it's a piano, a harpsichord, an organ, violin(s), etc., it's all good music for the soul and spirit and peace and joy....the love of music from different variations/tempos and angles and transpositions and transfiguration. ...Blood in blood out ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Northstar - have you heard Jacques Loussier's jazz trio of Bach's Goldberg Variations? Curious as to what you think.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Northstar - have you heard Jacques Loussier's jazz trio of Bach's Goldberg Variations? Curious as to what you think.

Lloyd, could you post a picture of the front cover from the music recordings you have specifically in mind?

* I went briefly have a look in the classical music section of my collection...I saw other variations of the Goldbergs, by other classical artists, and I saw a whole lot more too.
I didn't look in the Jazz section though...but I would appreciate a pic of the front cover. Ty

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, could you post a picture of the front cover from the music recordings you have specifically in mind?

* I went briefly have a look in the classical music section of my collection...I saw other variations of the Goldbergs, by other classical artists, and I saw a whole lot more too.
I didn't look in the Jazz section though...but I would appreciate a pic of the front cover. Ty

Loussier Goldberg Variations.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing