Beethoven's Symphonies - Otmar Suitner (Denon Remaster)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I bought the Karajan 1963 set when it first came out, when I was a freshman in college....

...I checked and I have 3 different Furtwangler 9ths - from 1954 and 1951, both with Schwarzkopf singing the soprano role (I am guessing her husband or husband to be Walter Legge may have had something to do with the recording) and a war time recording from Berlin - in front of Hitler as I remember...

PS. As a junior, we had a sophomore, Bob Levin, living across the hall. He had a piano in his room and would play the 32 Beethoven Piano Sonatas straight through. He later went on to become an accomplished fortepiano player, with quite a few recordings, as well as a professor at the college.

Great stories...which of the Furtwangler's 9s do you like best?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Great stories...which of the Furtwangler's 9s do you like best?

I pulled out my 3 Furtwangler Beethoven 9ths (all on vinyl). Turns out I have the 1942 Berlin and 1951 Bayreuth, but I don't have the 1954. Instead I have another 1951, done a little over a month earlier, on July 1, 1951 in Vienna, with the VPO and a different set of singers - Seefried, Anday, Patzak and Edelmann, recorded in the Musikverein. I'm currently in the middle of a bunch of stereo rips. Next time I switch over to my mono cartridge, I'll give these a spin and let you know.

Larry

PS. In Walter Legge's bio done by his wife Schwarzkopf, but mostly with his writings, he tells of the massive feud between Furtwangler and Karajan. Essentially Furtwangler blocked Karajan from getting the Berlin PO directorship for many years. Not until Furtwangler's death in 1954 was Karajan able to get the position which he held for 35 years until his death in 1989.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I pulled out my 3 Furtwangler Beethoven 9ths (all on vinyl). Turns out I have the 1942 Berlin and 1951 Bayreuth, but I don't have the 1954. Instead I have another 1951, done a little over a month earlier, on July 1, 1951 in Vienna, with the VPO and a different set of singers - Seefried, Anday, Patzak and Edelmann, recorded in the Musikverein. I'm currently in the middle of a bunch of stereo rips. Next time I switch over to my mono cartridge, I'll give these a spin and let you know.

Larry

PS. In Walter Legge's bio done by his wife Schwarzkopf, but mostly with his writings, he tells of the massive feud between Furtwangler and Karajan. Essentially Furtwangler blocked Karajan from getting the Berlin PO directorship for many years. Not until Furtwangler's death in 1954 was Karajan able to get the position which he held for 35 years until his death in 1989.

great stuff... i did a bunch of reading from the various sites, and picked the 9 symphonies which i found were widely regarded as among the best...and then searched for those boutique french mastering jobs...

...i dont look down on scratch recordings, but the audiophile in me does have struggles sometimes lisetning to them. But with Furtwangler's 5th (remastered)...listened to the whole thing late last nite while working.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I pulled out my 3 Furtwangler Beethoven 9ths (all on vinyl). Turns out I have the 1942 Berlin and 1951 Bayreuth, but I don't have the 1954. Instead I have another 1951, done a little over a month earlier, on July 1, 1951 in Vienna, with the VPO... I'm currently in the middle of a bunch of stereo rips. Next time I switch over to my mono cartridge, I'll give these a spin and let you know.

look forward to your thoughts on the 3 different 9ths you have!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I will probably rip these and declick and decrackle them when I play them. So I could probably send you digital copies (192/24) if you want, since they are all out of copyright.

Larry

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will probably rip these and declick and decrackle them when I play them. So I could probably send you digital copies (192/24) if you want, since they are all out of copyright.

Larry

Hi Larry - wow! Thank you...i am a plain redbook Zanden guy, so i cannot play 24/192. Fortunately, the remastering job of these is [i think?] quite good from these boutique remastering guys? Have you heard them by any chance? Opus Kura, Tahra and Orfeo?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing