Arrakis 2

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd

I am an enthusiast but this is pushing it to new level .. that is a Youtube video far from the reference in video or Audio, compressed mp3 or worse .. Whatever you make of it, is .. or should be suspect ....
Reminds me of those TV commercial when they are touting the stunning clarity of Sony TV over the competition and you have to watch through the comptition TV itself!!! .. That is not a valid point of reference if you ask me ....

Frantz,

Yes...i did hint at that in my original post, and you are totally right. compressed file, earphones, etc, etc, etc.

Nevertheless, the reason i am impressed is because there is DETAIL in the treble that i do not hear on my system. And i have compared detail retrieval on my system to some pretty SOTA systems in NY, Hong Kong, London and a few other cities.

The fact that on a laptop playing back thru earphones, i hear more detail on the ways the organ keys are playing was an 'ear opening experience'.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Cool youtube video. :cool:

* In a very near future (like right now), we will have full hi res Audio and full hi def Video (352kHz/64-bit & 4K & 3D) on several (some) Music videos from the Internet. :b
{Is that sound like DIGITAL? :b}

*** Anyone here with an Analog PC or Mac? ;)

Last edited:

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
The audio in that youtube video is not a recording of that person's rockport system. Is that what you were comparing? I'm a little confused...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The audio in that youtube video is not a recording of that person's rockport system. Is that what you were comparing? I'm a little confused...

Thanks, AExploration...i thought it was. In any event, playing the Amazon version of the same tune vs the one played on that video...the video still sounded different. I looked up the music...i have the version from 1998...is that the version they were playing on the video?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, AExploration...i thought it was. In any event, playing the Amazon version of the same tune vs the one played on that video...the video still sounded different. I looked up the music...i have the version from 1998...is that the version they were playing on the video?

Bingo...the video was playing this version...different than the one i have at home. i thought that his system was digging out way more detail on those organ keys than i'd ever heard before. KOYAANISQATSI (Complete Original Soundtrack Version) vs the 1998 Remastered version (which is the one i have at home).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
great stuff. would love to hear. thanks, roysen!

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
. Plus, there is a very well known synergy between Gryphon and Rockport which Andy Payor himself endorses as evident on the Rockport site.

Does Andy Payor still tout Gryphon these days?? As of now, there is no US Distribution of Gryphon (more's the pity) so I wonder what Andy Payor might think of the new Boulder 3050 monoblocks?? Or, the Vitus Masterpiece monoblocks?? I am now going to add Rockport to my list of uber speakers to audition for a new killer system...along with the Alexandria XLF's, Focal's Grande Utopia EM and, the MBL eXtreme 101 Radialstrahler's....I just need to find a place here in the states to go listen to the Arrakis with hopefully some gear I am remotely familiar with...

Cheers,

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Andy is still using Gryphon. Boulder mates extremely well with Rockport speakers.

If you want to hear the Arrakis 2 you may have to take a road trip up to Maine.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Does Andy Payor still tout Gryphon these days?? As of now, there is no US Distribution of Gryphon (more's the pity) so I wonder what Andy Payor might think of the new Boulder 3050 monoblocks?? Or, the Vitus Masterpiece monoblocks?? I am now going to add Rockport to my list of uber speakers to audition for a new killer system...along with the Alexandria XLF's, Focal's Grande Utopia EM and, the MBL eXtreme 101 Radialstrahler's....I just need to find a place here in the states to go listen to the Arrakis with hopefully some gear I am remotely familiar with...

Cheers,

No US but...

Distributor
European Sound of Canada
Suite 2209, 89 Skymark Drive
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
Tel: 416-800-9288
esofcanada@yahoo.com

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Cheers,

You have a fantastic list of speakers to audition !

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
One more vote for boulder , compared to krell monoblocs with 100 watt more , the boulderstereo somehow sounded more in control and more powerfull even though krell had a bigger powersupply .
On a difficult load like the arrakis , CAT legend and a 3060 would be my dreamteam , i think more then enough power a pair of 3050 s would be overkill i reckon , not on the MBL s though .
Never heard the gryphon

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I am not a retail expert , i am sure there are quite a few here .:D
They probably will do US import as well if there is none , i would send a mail to denmark if i were you

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
I am not a retail expert , i am sure there are quite a few here .:D
They probably will do US import as well if there is none , i would send a mail to denmark if i were you

I have already received an e-mail reply from Mr. Rasmussen himself apologizing for the fact that US audiophiles cannot currently get the product.. :(

Cheers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
NMMark1962,

Strange...I know at least 2 US guys who have owned/own Gryphon...Jeff Fritz and Ozy, both members here...not to mention Andy Payor/Rockport Audio of course. Rasmussen is the Founder so he would know if they're going to sell into the US...perhaps someone can weigh in (Ozy?) on how they bought Gryphon in the US?

As for Rockport, people have consistently told me (and written...Jeff Fritz, Robert Harley, etc) that they are incredibly consistent sounding...the next level up simply being more (ie, more dynamics, more extension, more transparency, etc)...but again an incredibly consistent 'voice'. Thus, it would seem that as long as you've got the room...go for it with Arrakis if you are smitten with Rockports. Also, speak with Andy Payor...incredibly approachable and forthright in my limited experience.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
GRYPHON boss Flemming E.Rasmussen is listening, and Flemming, said: "This is the best sound I never heard before"

What is the component next to the listening chair at his left hand with all the dials?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing