Arrakis 2

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
FWIW - if you can afford a used Arrakis, then you can afford a new Altair - which is half of an Arrakis. Actually a new Altair would have the new berrylium tweeter, as opposed to a series 1 Arrakis. If you didn't realizr it - look at and Altair then an Arrakis and you'll see it is actually half of an Arrakis - same cabinet construction, drivers - just less of them.

Interestingly, the Evolution Acoustics MM3 is designed in the same fashion...tweeter in the middle i think.

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
...Some professional music recording studios have their tweeters three-four feet above ear level!
and they also take box speakers and submerge them in the wall to create an infinite baffle and use yamaha ns10's with tissue paper over the tweeter. Lots of things are done - doesn't mean they are "best practices".

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
Interestingly, the Evolution Acoustics MM3 is designed in the same fashion...tweeter in the middle i think.

...D'Appolito array. Differense here is the attention to detail in terms of diffraction - on the Arrakis notice the large, sweeping radiused curved enclosure - there is nothing "hanging over" other drivers and no hard edges for edge diffraction. Never heard the MM3's - they may be great - but not the same level of attention to design regarding diffraction or cabinet construction as the Arrakis. How much are the MM3's?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...D'Appolito array. Differense here is the attention to detail in terms of diffraction - on the Arrakis notice the large, sweeping radiused curved enclosure - there is nothing "hanging over" other drivers and no hard edges for edge diffraction. Never heard the MM3's - they may be great - but not the same level of attention to design regarding diffraction or cabinet construction as the Arrakis. How much are the MM3's?

I think the MM3 are more direct-sale model, and are a fraction (25%?) of the new Arrakis.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Upgraded with the second pair of Mephisto Solo

QUOTE]
A
Thanks, Wizard. Two observations. First, the Gryphons are not set to High, full Class A bias. They are either Low or Medium. Why is that? Does he actually play with less than full Class A? I notice a big difference on mine (prefer full Class A). Second, i notice the speakers have the side woofers facing to the outside. On the Rockport website, the side woofers are facing inward (ie, the Left and Right spekaers are reversed.) Can these speakers be set up either way?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Does anyone know what digital he uses? the older photos showed Emm Labs on the bottom shelf...but since his speakers have been upgradeed, his 2 sets of monos have changed, even his side table has changed...i wonder if his digital might also have changed. While everyone has different tastes, if there is one guy who probably has tried it all...and buy just about anything he wants...it has to be this guy!

Last edited:

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
Upgraded with the second pair of Mephisto Solo

QUOTE]
A
Thanks, Wizard. Two observations. First, the Gryphons are not set to High, full Class A bias. They are either Low or Medium. Why is that? Does he actually play with less than full Class A? I notice a big difference on mine (prefer full Class A). Second, i notice the speakers have the side woofers facing to the outside. On the Rockport website, the side woofers are facing inward (ie, the Left and Right spekaers are reversed.) Can these speakers be set up either way?

Side firing woofers can usually go either facing in or out. On the outside usually tends to give you more low frequency room re inforcement. .depends on your room and the speaker position within that room.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Upgraded with CH Precision D1 and C1

Interesting...i only just read about the CH Precision yesterday and was intrigued enough to look it up. And now he owns one. Now, i am really intrigued. apparently, these guys were involved with Orpheus Labs...so a very high pedigree. What have you heard about this DAC? Have you heard it yourself? Interested!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Wizard...thanks! big fan of Rockport speakers. I see the VTL amps and pre, the Rockport Sirius 3 and the Clearaudio...what is the digital side?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Wizard...looks like he spent time on the room as well...thanks for the heads up on the Burmester.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree! i might just do that...perhaps later this summer, as we were thinking of traveling to Asia on holiday anyway.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Agree! i might just do that...perhaps later this summer, as we were thinking of traveling to Asia on holiday anyway.

Take a side trip to Manila Lloyd, just an hour and a half away from HK :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After 10 hours upgrade this is the result.

Two pairs of Gryphon Colosseum Solo.

This is an insanely good showing of this system...i have this album and just played it in my own system to compare. I know, i know...compare live vs a recording of someone else's SOTA system? But i will say, in the recording, the upper range of the organ keys are stunningly clear, articulated.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This is an insanely good showing of this system...i have this album and just played it in my own system to compare. I know, i know...compare live vs a recording of someone else's SOTA system? But i will say, in the recording, the upper range of the organ keys are stunningly clear, articulated.

Lloyd

I am an enthusiast but this is pushing it to new level .. that is a Youtube video far from the reference in video or Audio, compressed mp3 or worse .. Whatever you make of it, is .. or should be suspect ....
Reminds me of those TV commercial when they are touting the stunning clarity of Sony TV over the competition and you have to watch through the comptition TV itself!!! .. That is not a valid point of reference if you ask me ....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing