Are there any used record stores in Japan?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When are you flying over there caesar?

When I asked a dear friend in Tokyo where he buys his records his answer was.....Austria! I did come across a couple of used stores in Shibuya but the stuff they had was not of collectible condition. I was told that there are a few good sources for quality used LPs but these are in private homes and accessible only after working hours. The prices are supposed to be pretty high especially for US pressed Jazz originals and unless you speak nihongo, you'd best be accompanied by a local. My dumpster diving expeditions failed miserably in short. I made up for the heartache with food instead! :D

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If there are any? Really? Japan has only the best record stores in the world!
If you don't have much time, just hit all the Disk Union stores and you'll be golden

http://diskunion.net/st/shop/e_index.html

New releases are going to be pricy, as well as true originals, but regular used stuff, specially japanese pressings, are pretty affordable, and will generally be in incredible condition.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately, I am not going. But my friend who is an American is married to a Japanese woman goes 3-4 times per year so their kids can get to know the grandparents and learn the Japanese culture.

My specific interest is in recordings and performances that may have only been released in that market, but not in Europe or US. I will sniff around...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If you like jazz, explore the japanese jazz scene of the 70s. Tons of great stuff there! The Three Blind Mice label is very well known to audiophiles, but there are true musical gems in their catalogue!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing