Advice/What to expect when importing audio equipment from Japan via US eBay

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I want to buy an amplifier and a preamp from Japan via an eBay seller because I will save nearly half the cost at any US dealer. But I haven’t done this before and I’d like to know what to expect. I don‘t want any unexpected surprises.
. I’ve ordered lots of CDs from foreign vendors and never had to pay a dime. This promises to be different because the merchandise will cost $7000 And I would be surprised if I didn’t have to pay an import duty. What can I expect? Do I need any paperwork?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How are you going to deal with the voltage and line frequency mismatch?

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
How are you going to deal with the voltage and line frequency mismatch?
One uses a step down transformer. I’ve talked to several people who use one With no issues. The vendor is including a transformer free with my purchase. According to ChatGPT (AI) :

Using a transformer to adapt the voltage for a Luxman product from a Japanese seller to the US electrical system is a common and generally safe practice. It helps ensure that the equipment receives the correct voltage without damage.

However, it's essential to use a high-quality transformer that can handle the power requirements of your Luxman amplifier and preamplifier. Cheap or inadequately rated transformers may introduce issues like voltage fluctuations, which could potentially affect the performance and lifespan of your audio equipment.

Ensure the transformer you choose is of sufficient capacity, ideally with a power rating higher than the combined power consumption of your Luxman components. This helps maintain a stable power supply and reduces the risk of adverse effects on the amplifier and preamplifier.”

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
the CA franchise tax board will likely know and send you a bill, it happended to me.
That would be a surprise, as I thought I would hear from US Customs. in 1985 I imported Quad speakers, amp and preamp from England. I had to go to US Customs at SFO and pay a duty and then they gave me my package. That was 1985 so I expect there might be differences. I’d like to know what to expect.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I wouldn't do that cause using a step down transformer kills the sound. I heard many 100V amplifiers imported from Japan running on a step down transformer. They all sounded a little bit compressed to me.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
That would be a surprise, as I thought I would hear from US Customs. in 1985 I imported Quad speakers, amp and preamp from England. I had to go to US Customs at SFO and pay a duty and then they gave me my package. That was 1985 so I expect there might be differences. I’d like to know what to expect.
The carrier was DHL in all instances. They call for the balance due re customs fees, It was taken care of with a CC. Mos. later, the CA FTB demanded the sales taxes which was exponentially greater than the customs charges. the FTB is rigorous in collecting their money, I missed the deadline and the bill increased 30%. A double kick in the nuts.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
Thanks to all for your replies. I did the deed, took the risk, annd with eyes wide open and fingers crossed I ordered the amp and preamp that I couldn’t resist. The seller included a step down transformer and a promise of long term support if needed. My audiophile friends gave me the warnings I was already aware of and I think I can handle everything though I’m still a little under prepared for the much needed step down transformer. I may want to invest in something higher end. George Meyer in the LA area that I’ve used before told me they repair just the sort of equipment I’m buying and are prepared to deal with the electric current disparity. FedEx will be the carrier and I guess I will have to deal with another tax. The FTB will get my almost $700 in taxes from eBay. Duty should be less but it will still be onerous.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing