Anyone Understand Design Approach of Stenheim? What are they doing differently from Magico, YG, Wilson, etc., to have High Sensitivity?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
wow caught you reading his posts
Whoops… it’s a guilty pleasure… I should add that it’s a poor substitute for self flagellation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

All systems/ topologies should converge in sounding like music .

This may seem right superficially -- like a meme -- but it is incorrect.

1) As this is a subjective hobby there are different views as to what reproduced music should sound like.

2) This ignores the several alternative, but not mutually exclusive, objectives of high-end audio.

3) This ignores that each of us selects subjectively different cues in reproduced sound which connect us mentally and emotionally to our memory of the sound of live music. (This goes back to my explanation of why our stereos sound so different even though we all hear substantially the same thing sitting in the same place in the concert hall.)

4) This ignores that each of us has different sonic preferences in reproduced sound.

Because of the foregoing it makes perfect sense that different audio components sound different, and that different sounding components can achieve success in the marketplace.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

1) As this is a subjective hobby there are different views as to what reproduced music should sound like.

2) This ignores the several alternative, but not mutually exclusive, objectives of high-end audio.

3) This ignores that each of us selects subjectively different cues in reproduced sound which connect us mentally and emotionally to our memory of the sound of live music. (This goes back to my explanation of why our stereos sound so different even though we all hear substantially the same thing sitting in the same place in the concert hall.)

4) This ignores that each of us has different sonic preferences in reproduced sound.

Because of the foregoing it makes perfect sense that different audio components sound different, and that different sounding components can achieve success in the marketplace.
1 2 3 4 are basically all audioforum opinions , which can be ignored .

Top audio systems should ideally converge into something similar (if their aim is hifi) hi fi delity off course

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I have never understood what this expression is supposed to mean, other than that the solid-state amplifier does not sound aggressive or edgy or bright. If one or more solid-state amplifiers actually sounded like tube amplifiers (in particular the "wetness" or "liquidity" of tube amplifiers) we would not need tube amplifiers, would we?

Some audiophiles buy tube amplifiers because they hear tube amplifiers as sounding something different than solid-state amplifiers.

Ron, et al, I have heard several tube amplifiers that sound quite bright to my ear, so that characteristic is not IMO the domain of using tubes or silicon. As you have indicated, in your system, different tube amplifiers sound very different from one another based on tube type, topology, and the designer's voicing. The same is true for SS. As a Boulder amplifier sounds nothing like a Gryphon and a VAC sounds nothing like a Lamm SE.

Ultimately, one must listen to an amplifier in the context of their chosen loudspeakers, source components, cables, and listening preferences. Does this make a case for utilizing seasoned retailers of high integrity who know how to craft a system based on years of hands-on experience with many different types of components? You bet it does! That said, sharing our experiences in a system context on the Forum can help narrow the choices since one cannot possibly demo or for that matter research all available choices.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Stenheim? What are they doing differently from Magico, YG, Wilson​

Even in the OP the examples of speakers listed are expressions within the same topology but there isn’t even any singular convergence there… the designers at each of these box speakers companies aren’t sharing the same views on what speakers should sound like… all are quite divergent sounding and rely on the differences they create to continue to exist.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

5) ignores that some have no exposure live music
6) ignores that some don’t have much exposure to different gear
7) ignores that some buy for non sonic preferences

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
5) ignores that some have no exposure live music
5b) ignores that some don’t even like live music and prefer reproduced music. So what is sonic convergence in the context of music even.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Golum, I really admire Tobian products I have heard them many times connected to our SS amplifiers and found they have the superior dynamics and coherence to many bigger brands offerings - a sound that is hard to achieve with large multi-way loudspeakers. Fred, Rob and I of Lampi NA (US distributors for Tobian) are discussing getting a set out to the West Coast so more people can experience them.

Have you heard of Swiss made Airplain loudspeakers, a new firm doing interesting work?

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
.... (US distributors for Tobian) are discussing getting a set out to the West Coast so more people can experience them.

Have you heard of Swiss made Airplain loudspeakers, a new firm doing interesting work?

Actually it was me who connected and persuade them to start working with Gunter and pity is that more people don't have a chance to hear them as they sound as you described above - especially driven by his tube electronics as I have to frank I never heard them with SS gear.
For "Airplane" I heard but never had a chance to hear in person (yet) - need to work on that aspect as soon as I find some time ;) . But now I'm more into Clarysis :D

Reactions: Bbock

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Actually it was me who connected and persuade them to start working with Gunter and pity is that more people don't have a chance to hear them as they sound as you described above - especially driven by his tube electronics as I have to frank I never heard them with SS gear.
For "Airplane" I heard but never had a chance to hear in person (yet) - need to work on that aspect as soon as I find some time ;) . But now I'm more into Clarysis :D
Get some new speakers?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Get some new speakers?
Nope - love my Klimts...but tbh would love to have Minuete. Issue I have is limited space behind the speakers....lets see

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
That is why when someone is claiming their newest, latest and greatest class d amp (with or without GaN transistors) sounds just like a good tube amp, I call BS. Maybe to the uncritical listener there are similarities, however , I am quite sure a short listen is enough to spot the archetypal sound character.
Its a good idea to base comments on experience rather than conjecture...

I find it amusing that no-one argues that harmonics of fundamental tones create the unique sounds of musical instruments, yet so many people somehow refuse to acknowledge that harmonics generated by an amplifier will also create a tonality, just like it does in a musical instrument.

Put another way, the distortion of an amplifier is its 'sonic signature'. That fact allows you to understand how it might be possible for a solid state amp to sound like a tube amp or vice versa. Its all in how the distortion is made. Distortion modifies the sound of signals passing thru the amp, rather than being a separate signal so many dB down from the actual signal being amplified.

If you want to make a tube amp sound solid state, you find a way to suppress the 2nd and 3rd harmonics so the higher ordered harmonics it makes are not masked. If you want to make a solid state amp sound like a tube amp (which IMO is a more 'natural' sound, like real music) then you have to find a way to make the 2nd and 3rd harmonics mask the higher orders- and maybe not even make the higher orders if possible.

Simply speaking the amp, tube or solid state, must have a musical sonic signature; another way of saying it must have a benign distortion signature.

Class D offers a way to do that. There are enough comments online and even a review or two that verify this is so. I've explained quite a lot how it is that class D offers this ability. Whether you chose to call it BS or not won't change engineering facts. Nor, apparently. will a few minutes or even months of listening.

Reactions: Al M.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Thanks Golum, appreciate the insight and your efforts. We use our Class A WestminsterLab amplifiers with the Tobian combined with either the Lampizator Horizon or new Poseidon DAC. I should get a chance to hear them with a 300B amplifier shortly.

Reactions: Golum

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
I heard the Stenheim Reference Two in Munich 2022, and didn't like their sound in that room/system. I had the impression that the tweeters were too low and the lower woofer too close to the floor. In Munich 2023, with the new aluminium feet (which seems to have adjustable height), they sounded quite good, great bass, open upper frequencies, good vocals. Looking forward to listening to them in a better system and room.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
What about the All New Node Hylixa Signature Speakers ?

https://www.node-audio.com

One of the very best speakers ever made ??

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
A_K
This is an interesting loudspeaker due to its enclosure, use of a wide-band balanced mode radiator driver "BMR" and unique woofer loading. All of these add up to a novel approach to loudspeakers design. I have some concerns as to resolution levels as past BMR driver applications by Naim have lacked resolution. The selection of a mid-level ring radiator is also a concern. The truth is in listening and I will be interested to do so. If a member purchases one or enjoys a lengthy audition it would make for an interesting separate thread.

buzzlulu

Jan 31, 2022
past BMR driver applications by Naim have lacked resolution

As a former +25 year Naim owner I could not agree more with this statement. The Naim Ovators single handedly killed their speaker business (well that and the merger with Focal). As a former owner and listener of multiple Naim speakers (which were excellent) the Ovators with BMR driver were a complete disaster.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing