Anyone successfully move from a high end tube preamp to SS, and not miss a thing?!?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
I would like to hear sound labs like you have some day I have Martin logan CLXs with subs.

You, and other WTB members are welcome to come hear them any time. I'm located in the SF Bay area. Many Sound Lab owners previously owned Martin Logans. I have never heard of a SL owner switching to CLX's or any ML. No subs needed.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You, and other WTB members are welcome to come hear them any time. I'm located in the SF Bay area. Many Sound Lab owners previously owned Martin Logans. I have never heard of a SL owner switching to CLX's or any ML. No subs needed.

Would love to hear them someday...interesting observation about SL owners switching from ML vs the other way around. I suppose the sheer sound/power of the SL is the key attraction for the switch for those who have owned/experienced the 'stat magic of MLs?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Many Sound Lab owners previously owned Martin Logans. I have never heard of a SL owner switching to CLX's or any ML. No subs needed.

Well, we can not ignore statistics - there are many more people owning Martin Logan than SoundLab's, this is normal. :) As far as I know people give up on Sound Labs for two reasons - size, and then they move to small mini monitor speakers, or after experiencing some fault or breakdown. Fortunately this last item is not anymore an issue anymore since the switch to the improved Mylar and stator structure, some years ago.

One of my audio dreams is that the Sonus Faber Futura Amati sounds as good as the A1 PX. It looks so much prettier ...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, we can not ignore statistics - there are many more people owning Martin Logan than SoundLab's, this is normal. :) As far as I know people give up on Sound Labs for two reasons - size, and then they move to small mini monitor speakers, or after experiencing some fault or breakdown. Fortunately this last item is not anymore an issue anymore since the switch to the improved Mylar and stator structure, some years ago.

One of my audio dreams is that the Sonus Faber Futura Amati sounds as good as the A1 PX. It looks so much prettier ...

Actually, another dream is that the ML Neolith plus dual subs matches the scale/slam of an XLF...that could be a lot of fun!

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014

Martin Logan speakers are available in almost every Best Buy, as well as from many other dealers. There are 8 Sound Lab dealers in the entire U.S. Most audiophiles have never heard them.

audio

Aug 3, 2014
Hello all. This is my second post on this very interesting site. I am in the process of changing from a tube preamp ( Shindo ) usually used with a tube amp ( Quicksilver ). I recently bought some Sonus Faber Venere 3 speakers. I found the sound a bit thin with my current system and auditioned then bought a Jeff Rowland M525 amp. I demo'd it with a Jeff Rowland Capri S2 preamp. The sound was glorious. I had worried that going away from the tube pre would compromise the sound quality but I was completely wrong. I'm awaiting the Jeff Rowland pre.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Yes, I moved from a Cary SLP-05, which sounded absolutely sensational, to a Pass Labs XP-30. The XP-30 retained all the smoothness, warmth and holographic imaging of the SLP-05, while increasing resolution, reducing noise and providing a more neutral treble response.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Currently seriously considering moving from my venerable 2006 Hovland HP200 w/Jan Phillips tubes to a Townshend Audio Allegri autoformer passive pre. Losing a hint of lushness, and gaining a deal more detail retrieval, and a quantum leap in transparency.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Currently seriously considering moving from my venerable 2006 Hovland HP200 w/Jan Phillips tubes to a Townshend Audio Allegri autoformer passive pre. Losing a hint of lushness, and gaining a deal more detail retrieval, and a quantum leap in transparency.
Going to a passive pre will probably be a disappointment. At least hang on to the Hoveland for now.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tom, passive pre's really are an area of divergent views. Not planning to ditch the Hovland, aiming to use it in a second system, so can always revert back to it if I lose my nerve.
I'm running a slightly unconventional system re v.sensitive (101dB/m) full range driver/x-overless Zu spkrs fed by Audion 35W/ch SETs, and the Allegri is a winner in most respects (detail retrieval/transparency/low noise - being off the grid), w/the only shortcoming so far being a certain recessiveness in the bass (even this improving as the hours from cold go on).
I'm certainly aware of a decrease in lushness wrt my Hovland, but I do feel a barrier or two has been removed in the listening experience.
Will maintain a skeptical ear until the time I might be finally bowled over, or conclude "nice, but I still miss tubes...".

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yes, I moved from a Cary SLP-05, which sounded absolutely sensational, to a Pass Labs XP-30. The XP-30 retained all the smoothness, warmth and holographic imaging of the SLP-05, while increasing resolution, reducing noise and providing a more neutral treble response.

I think the Pass retains the best of both worlds.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Swapped out the ARC REF 5SE for a Spectral 30SS Series II and did not miss a thing. However, this was part of a preamp / poweramp replacement, so cannot isolate the impact of just the preamp move.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Try CH Precision amps. Their nickname is the "Triode with Power".

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have only heard a few SS preamps that have as good a presentation as some really good tube preamps and those SS preamps were modded and in fact all my preamps are not stock. I have a tube preap,a nuvistor preamp and 2 SS preamps. The pecking order is.....

Nuvistor teflon
Tube film
SS telfon
SS blackgate

all sound good though,but the nuvistor and tube is what I prefer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing