Anyone successfully move from a high end tube preamp to SS, and not miss a thing?!?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am looking at an amplifier that has a very low input impedance of around 10k ohms. This amplifier sounds fabulous with my speakers - kind of "game over excellent", stop your search immediately because the musicians are in your room kind of excellent.

I have always loved tubes and my understanding is that tube preamps with high output impedance will sound un-dynamic and sluggish if there is a mismatch. If I move to a SS preamp to avoid this mismatch, what are some top contenders that will not make me miss tubes? In what ways are these preamps able to overcome the virtues of tubes?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I am looking at an amplifier that has a very low input impedance of around 10k ohms. This amplifier sounds fabulous with my speakers - kind of "game over excellent", stop your search immediately because the musicians are in your room kind of excellent.

I have always loved tubes and my understanding is that tube preamps with high output impedance will sound un-dynamic and sluggish if there is a mismatch. If I move to a SS preamp to avoid this mismatch, what are some top contenders that will not make me miss tubes? In what ways are these preamps able to overcome the virtues of tubes?

You are asking for the impossible. There are things SS will do better than tubes and things tubes will do better than SS. If you give up your tube preamp, you will miss certain things with SS.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

You could always try a CJ GAT...uses (2) 6922 tubes but its output impedance is less than 100ohms. I use both RCA outputs, one into my Gryphon Colosseum (20kohm input impedance) and the other into a 25 foot long run of Transparent Ref XL cable to my Velodyne DD18. No problems.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I believe the Atma-shere MP-1 can drive low input impedance amps. Only heard it in a show setting though.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
You are asking for the impossible. There are things SS will do better than tubes and things tubes will do better than SS. If you give up your tube preamp, you will miss certain things with SS.

except for the 'tube rush' or high output impedance and microphonics...I get a perverse sense of pleasure reading about others toils with expensive NOS small signal tubes going bad in 6-mos. yep, haven't had to change my transitors in 20-yrs and and my preamp is still going strong :D

I usually have more second thoughts about replacing a SS preamp for a tubed one. but when its the other way around I usually cant get rid of the tube piece fast enough, mostly on the heels of a recent spat of noisy tube replacements (expensive) or some new hum or buzz I cant get rid of.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I also strongly suggest you try the Robert Koda Takumi K10 or K15...speak with JFrech about them...he has the K10 and runs them with Ayre monos into his Altair 2s. I think there is at least one other member here who has the K10. Robert worked at Kondo in Japan for years, and has set up his own ultra high end name, and received strongest accolades from Martin Colloms, Audio Beat and Mono & Stereo.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I also strongly suggest you try the Robert Koda Takumi K10 or K15...speak with JFrech about them...he has the K10 and runs them with Ayre monos into his Altair 2s. I think there is at least one other member here who has the K10. Robert worked at Kondo in Japan for years, and has set up his own ultra high end name, and received strongest accolades from Martin Colloms, Audio Beat and Mono & Stereo.

Probably need to figure out if Caesar is a "little guy" or a billionaire first.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
The Pass Xs pre amp can drive anything. I went from an Audio Research Ref 10 to the Xs pre amp with great success. Very happy with my decision.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Caesar,

Can we know what is this fabulous amplifier? Are you quoting SE or balanced impedance? As far as I know any tube hybrid preamplifier with a SS buffer stage will drive such load. I was told that even my Audio Research REF40 could drive a 10+10k a balanced load easily, andJeff Dorsay of Toneaudio has reported excellent results with the REF5 and the Burmester 911 mk3 - a really low load around a few kohms. You can not separate the preamplifier driving current from the gain of the amplifier and the speakers efficiency.

I have never found any SS preamplifier that I could prefer to tubes. And I tried a few - even the famous DartZeel.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Probably need to figure out if Caesar is a "little guy" or a billionaire first.

Yes, you're right...a budget would help. To give a wider range, I would say CJ ET3, ET5 all the way to GAT (all 100ohm impedance I believe) and Koda Takumi K10.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

LLoyd,

The Ayre MXR has a 2 meagohm input impedance - I have owned them and they were a good match with any tube amplifier. Unfortunately I did not like their sound on the Soundlabs - fortunately I had got them used and I could sell them without big losses a few months after.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Caesar,

Can we know what is this fabulous amplifier? Are you quoting SE or balanced impedance? As far as I know any tube hybrid preamplifier with a SS buffer stage will drive such load. I was told that even my Audio Research REF40 could drive a 10+10k a balanced load easily, andJeff Dorsay of Toneaudio has reported excellent results with the REF5 and the Burmester 911 mk3 - a really low load around a few kohms. You can not separate the preamplifier driving current from the gain of the amplifier and the speakers efficiency.

I have never found any SS preamplifier that I could prefer to tubes. And I tried a few - even the famous DartZeel.

have you tried the SMc VRE-1C?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
have you tried the SMc VRE-1C?

No, but I got the SMc Interocitor transformers and their excellent performance make me curious about the preamplifier. Unfortunately it is not distributed locally.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
My. Suggestion is buy a SS preamp used. Compare and see if you like the change. Then sell one. That was easy !!

Al

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I currently own an ARC Ref 5SE and am on the lookout for a spectral 30 SS series II used for a shootout....

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

+1 :) I could not ask or dream for anything more on my preamp. It's one of those once you have it...you're done.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
My amp (McCormack DNA500) also has a very low input impedance. I use an Audioprism Mantissa tubed preamp. It has a very low output impedance and makes an excellent match, but it is almost 10 years old now so long in the tooth for you.

Just look at the specs for well regarded and transparent tube preamps and find some that have a low output impedance. Shouldn;t be too hard of a problem, they do exist.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Caesar,

What amplifier is this you speak of?

If it did this for you, what preamp were you using that made this happen? Additionally, was it an SS or Tube pre?

Last question: What speakers of yours did you attach to this "game over excellent" amplifier?

I think these questions would add a little insight, at least for me.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing