Anyone successfully move from a high end tube preamp to SS, and not miss a thing?!?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
+1 :) I could not ask or dream for anything more on my preamp. It's one of those once you have it...you're done.

not curious about the K-15 ;)

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I believe the Atma-shere MP-1 can drive low input impedance amps. Only heard it in a show setting though.

This is correct. The MP-1 (which is all-tube) can drive 600 ohms no worries, and I have used it to drive my 16 ohm 98 db loudspeakers at home in a pinch. It plays to conversational levels as it only makes a few hundred milliwatts. The 10K input impedance of most SS amps is a walk in the park. Our MP-3 preamp has no worries driving a 10K load either.

IOW, just because it is tubes does not mean it can't drive a 10K load perfectly.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar,

What amplifier is this you speak of?

If it did this for you, what preamp were you using that made this happen? Additionally, was it an SS or Tube pre?

Last question: What speakers of yours did you attach to this "game over excellent" amplifier?

I think these questions would add a little insight, at least for me.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Dre

Dre,

The speakers are M BL's 101 E's driven by S Ymphonic Line Krafts. I'm using a famous tube preamp right now, but would be looking to spend $8-10K on one that is better technical and sonic match, to get even more dynamic drive and better bass.

Microstrip, one of the most knowledgeable and discerning audiophiles anyone will ever find, frequently talks about proper system matching in his posts. Well, the interaction here between amp and speaker seems to be a superb match. Here's why it's a "game over" amp, even with not the best matched preamp:

- Bottom end, and especially the midbass melon, presented with real grunt yet perfect pitch and texture, as per recording. Most hyped up amps fail here on the MBL 101
- Seriously realistic highs that make the most of the killer MBL tweeter
- Control the BEAST 101 speakers so perfectly that they are able to resolve most minute Micro dynamic details, emotions, shadings, and contrasts
- Effortless Large dynamic swings
- Midrange as good as pretty much any stat other than the soundlab (but trust me, you are not thinking of that minute difference because you are drawn into the musical experience, frequently with a silly grin on your face)
-Play coherently at any volume, which is a problem with many amps driving the 101
- Instruments and humans on a wide stage with real air around them
- Instruments and vocals projecting IMPACTFUL bursts of energy toward the listener, and viscerally felt as at a real show
- Real artists, in flesh and blood, projecting emotions in your own room!

In all, it takes the illusion “known to be false but felt to be true” to a new level.

caesar

May 30, 2010
So can someone please describe what the top SS preamps do vs. what top tube preamps do?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
What power amps have you been using until now? I run my MBL 101e's with Krell because I had the amp when I bought the speakers, and it works well. I have been itching to try better amps in my setup!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
except for the 'tube rush' or high output impedance and microphonics...I get a perverse sense of pleasure reading about others toils with expensive NOS small signal tubes going bad in 6-mos. yep, haven't had to change my transitors in 20-yrs and and my preamp is still going strong :D

I usually have more second thoughts about replacing a SS preamp for a tubed one. but when its the other way around I usually cant get rid of the tube piece fast enough, mostly on the heels of a recent spat of noisy tube replacements (expensive) or some new hum or buzz I cant get rid of.

Never had any of these issues with my two BAT preamps.
I have an Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk. 3.2, but haven't listened to it, yet :eek:

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Symphonic Line Krafts
+1

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
not curious about the K-15 ;)

Honestly not right now...i think i could better my sources and amps first. I realy keep hoping for a matching phono stage...the k10 is that good to me. Of course i havent heard a k15 ;)...

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Honestly not right now...i think i could better my sources and amps first. I realy keep hoping for a matching phono stage...the k10 is that good to me. Of course i havent heard a k15 ;)...

not thinking Troy ? all else seems in place ... does the Triton power your amps ?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

Never had any of these issues with my two BAT preamps.
I have an Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk. 3.2, but haven't listened to it, yet :eek:

the audio angels are looking after you Sam:b I'd love to try the MP-1 one of these days...im always up for trying something different. my favorite tubed preamp to date was the Joule Electra...the most hyped piece I disliked--okay, the noisiest--was the Hovland.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
the audio angels are looking after you Sam:b I'd love to try the MP-1 one of these days...im always up for trying something different. my favorite tubed preamp to date was the Joule Electra...the most hyped piece I disliked--okay, the noisiest--was the Hovland.
:D Thanks, Rob.
Ever heard the Aesthetix? It has that tube rush, but Albert has some advice to mitigate it.
I think I'd like to try it, too :cool:

caesar

May 30, 2010
What power amps have you been using until now? I run my MBL 101e's with Krell because I had the amp when I bought the speakers, and it works well. I have been itching to try better amps in my setup!

I have tried a number of amplifiers without much success. Most, regardless of super high power ratings, just don't produce enough current to drive the woofer, resulting in no bass/ midbass grunt and a tonal balance that is off. In your case, you don't have the lack of bass problem, but according to my friends, who have heard dozens of different amps with the 101 (it seems these guys have dedicated their lives to get the 101 to sound just right), say that the old-generation Krell amps were a bit bass heavy shifting the tonal balance the other way. Outside the bass issues, they find the Krell lacking the continuity and air around the instruments that Kraft has.

It's all so personal, but do give it a listen.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The older Krell is a litle dark on top, the bass control is great if the MBL's are spiked on something solid. The best I have heard these speakers, are with MBL 9011 , also a slightly warm amp. I will look for Kraft in my neck of the woods. Good luck with the preamp search!

bfalls

Mar 6, 2014
Orange County, CA
If you are talking state of the art they both will be quite good. My opinion of course but IME, the top end tube preamps will be smoother and more dimensional.

Hi Ralph - I know you will not probably agree with this but when I had to change from using you MP1 to an MBL 6010D due to system configuration, I did not give up naturalness and dimension (this was driving MA1 amps). The pre-amps had a different presentation - both excellent. The MBL was full and dynamic - very impressive for a SS piece.

Hope you are doing well.

Bruce

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Agreed on your Hovland quote Rob, happened the same to me. I had a great time with passive preamps for a while, but returned to tubed amps again, currently enjoying a DaHavilland Utraverve SE.

bfalls

Mar 6, 2014
Orange County, CA
Thanks Bruce!

The MBL preamps I have seen are very well-built. I was unable to listen to the one I to which I was exposed- it was too bright for my taste. I am curious- what was the change in the system configuration that led to this?

I was tri-amping the Pipedreams with the MP1 and MA1's, M60's, big SS for the woofers. I also used a Pass active crossover which allowed me to experiment and get to the point that I could implement a simple passive crossover at line level. To eliminate the Pass I needed a pre-amp that had two balanced outputs with a volume control on each one - the MBL was one of few that had that feature and would be acceptable from a performance standpoint. It is definately not a bright pre-amp - big full sound is how I would describe it. I used this set-up for quite some time until I decided to go down the battery path and simplify my system...which you should appreciate.

Look forward to catching up at some point.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Puroagave and Flez007, what exactly have been the noise probs w/your Hovland preamps? I've been running my HP200 w/50's Telefunken tubes, since 2006, and if it's been noisy, I haven't noticed it. Are your noise probs faults, or inherent in the design? Ironically I'm considering a move, not due to dissatisfaction, just that the whole of the rest of my system has moved on, and I'm curious re alternatives.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Puroagave and Flez007, what exactly have been the noise probs w/your Hovland preamps? I've been running my HP200 w/50's Telefunken tubes, since 2006, and if it's been noisy, I haven't noticed it. Are your noise probs faults, or inherent in the design? Ironically I'm considering a move, not due to dissatisfaction, just that the whole of the rest of my system has moved on, and I'm curious re alternatives.

In my system the composite s/n of the phono and line stage was abysmal with carts having outputs under 500uV (it had the MC stage w/ SUTs). I have an affinity for speakers with lousy sensitivity ~85 db which doesn't help. I gather you only use the line stage since your straingauge has its own amp, the Zu's high sensitivity would also work in your favor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing