Anyone else find video reviews annoying?

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Such an arrogant response to a valid criticism. I've been professionally involved in audio since 1990.

Perhaps YouTube audio influencing is a new market segment for you.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have been in rooms where recordings were made and posted on line so I have experience. The videos posted do not convey what I heard in those rooms. I see no need to do so with my room. I am there to listen, not make videos.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I have been in rooms where recordings were made and posted on line so I have experience. The videos posted do not convey what I heard in those rooms. I see no need to do so with my room. I am there to listen, not make videos.

So if recordings are not convincing then why are we here? This hold audiophile thing falls apart if we don’t believe that recordings are accurate and convincing.

Reactions: cjfrbw and tima

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
You are being argumentative just for the sake of argument. My point is a simple one. I have been in rooms at homes and have heard recordings with a mic and computer, or iPad or phone etc. made in that room and have found them not to convey fully what I heard in the room. Same with show recordings, I just do not find them useful in judging equipment.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
You are being argumentative just for the sake of argument. My point is a simple one. I have been in rooms at homes and have heard recordings with a mic and computer, or iPad or phone etc. made in that room and have found them not to convey fully what I heard in the room. Same with show recordings, I just do not find them useful in judging equipment.

I think that the keyword there is “fully”. No sane person is expecting a video to “fully” reproduce the sound “in the room”.

Reactions: tima and Wavetouch

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
By all means Carlos, use whatever you want in deciding on what gear to buy.

Thanks. Lucky for me, I’m done with the buying stage and have moved on to the enjoying what I have stage. No worries. Differences of opinions is a healthy environment.

Last edited:

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
Perhaps YouTube audio influencing is a new market segment for you.
Bingo. The audio stores and manufacturers don't want people to know the truth (all hi-fi sounds unnatural and only audiophiles can like it). The stores want people to visit their stores. The manufacturers don't want to people to compare audio sounds in online because manufacturers know their sounds bad since shoppers listen to their wives who know almost all audio sounds bad.

They don't want to people to know the truth.

• Haha
Reactions: itay123

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Bingo. The audio stores and manufacturers don't want people to know the truth (all hi-fi sounds unnatural and only audiophiles can like it). The stores want people to visit their stores. The manufacturers don't want to people to compare audio sounds in online because manufacturers know their sounds bad since shoppers listen to their wives who know almost all audio sounds bad.

If one is small manufacturer, then I guess it is easier to have this view than it is to compete with more successful brands and beat them on performance and service.

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
If one is small manufacturer, then I guess it is easier to have this view than it is to compete with more successful brands and beat them on performance and service.
The performance matters. Who has the best sound that every body like?

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think that the keyword there is “fully”. No sane person is expecting a video to “fully” reproduce the sound “in the room”.

Exactly right Carlos. This is the argument they always use. It is a false argument based on a false premise. The video proponents have NEVER claimed that the videos fully convey what a system sounds like in room. It is a substitute supplementing a written description. It adds information to the discussion. When you write that your WAAR approach is your goal and that you are satisfied, absent actually hearing your system, others can get some sense of what you mean. Videos are far from perfect, but they are something.

The arguments remain the same for four or five years now. Some members shout that "videos suck". Others say they find them useful, a tool, to help them better understand what they can not hear in person. My own videos helped DDK understand what each of my systems was doing in the context of my room, and he helped me remotely improve the set up based only on what he heard from the videos I sent him privately. Others have also benefited from a similar process. For me, system videos have a very specific purpose.

So it goes, round and round.

Last edited:

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022

I'm all for a good conspiracy theory, how about this one, it's the evil record companies that have been denying access to quality recordings since the advent of CD and they don't want folks hearing what a good recording can sound like via YouTube.

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
"YouTube videos will never capture everything that is happening in the room regardless of how much money you spend on microphone set ups.
My journey is about sharing my HANDS-ON experience AND ownership of the ultra high end.
A system is designed around what you prefer and not what your buddies wish for. There are no absolutes in this hobby hence the reason why we have so many options available to us.
Wilson Audio, Focal, Magico, Gryphon , Boulder, etc. are all brands that manufacture quality components.
There is no better way to understand what a component does than to actually live with it.
No show or YouTube video will teach you the ultimate expression of a component.
I don't claim to be an expert at anything, but I am certainly wiser about this hobby each day I roll out of bed.
I don't hate nor do I have beef with anyone. I am simply an honest man trying to follow his passion and share it with the world.

Jay

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
"YouTube videos will never capture everything that is happening in the room regardless of how much money you spend on microphone set ups.
My journey is about sharing my HANDS-ON experience AND ownership of the ultra high end.
A system is designed around what you prefer and not what your buddies wish for. There are no absolutes in this hobby hence the reason why we have so many options available to us.
Wilson Audio, Focal, Magico, Gryphon , Boulder, etc. are all brands that manufacture quality components.
There is no better way to understand what a component does than to actually live with it.
No show or YouTube video will teach you the ultimate expression of a component.
I don't claim to be an expert at anything, but I am certainly wiser about this hobby each day I roll out of bed.
I don't hate nor do I have beef with anyone. I am simply an honest man trying to follow his passion and share it with the world.

Jay
And make a few bucks in the process ! ;) Always be careful with people proclaiming their own innocence or honesty !:rolleyes:

Reactions: Rexp

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
What conspiracy theory is this?
Ron , Don't you get the invites to the secret meetings? Do you know the secret handshake? Do you have the decoder ring?

Reactions: Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing