Anyone else find video reviews annoying?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Stuff like this would be great for the audio business. Its not complicated but its entertaining, not shot in 4k and he has over 4 million followers and the business he started he sold for 37million
But video is a waste LOL

I love Doug's videos. But the auto market is huge. My neighbor and friend Ed Bolian at Vinwiki is also great.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The other interesting market for video & business models are the Swiss watch guys. I have always felt the audio market needs a Hodinkee-like business. Ben Clymer made even more money than Doug when he sold the business.

Teddy Baldassare is really good at this too.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I worked for Watch uwant which has become watchbox and grown from nothing to a few billion dollars sales driven by video mostly. It has spawned numerous other youtube channels like Federico loves watches ( i worked with him he grew his business from an investment of 10-15k to 6 million dollars sales in a few years and they only promote via video.
I realize that most people in audio don't get it and probably they don't need to however IMO the press has very little impact and only preaches to the converted. The converted bitch about it but still pay attention if it suits there needs.
Growth comes from more exposure. The videos we have available now in audio are in their infantcy but it will grow.
Doug Demuro - has little production value, he dresses in wrinkled t shirts and cargo pants , basically tells about the features of a car with some opinions at the end and has grown to over 4 million followers!!!!
The video thing guys works even if it doesn't work for you.

Last edited:

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
The video thing guys works even if it doesn't work for you.
Car videos can be highly useful. I particularly enjoy seeing SUV performance in mud and snow. These videos are useful far beyond words can express.

There is no comparable utility in watching an audio review. The most useful content to me is the reviewer's description of sound quality, which can only be expressed in words. Any other facts, I can glean more effectively from the manufacturer's website.
I can read far quicker than a vlogger can speak, I can skip content more efficiently AND I can listen to music while I'm reading.

Discussing the merits or prowess of a video reviewer is irrelevant. Just as with print reviewers, some are good, some are bad.

Reactions: heihei

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Car videos can be highly useful. I particularly enjoy seeing SUV performance in mud and snow. These videos are useful far beyond words can express.

There is no comparable utility in watching an audio review. The most useful content to me is the reviewer's description of sound quality, which can only be expressed in words. Any other facts, I can glean more effectively from the manufacturer's website.
I can read far quicker than a vlogger can speak, I can skip content more efficiently AND I can listen to music while I'm reading.

Discussing the merits or prowess of a video reviewer is irrelevant. Just as with print reviewers, some are good, some are bad.
yet watch reviews have far greater audiences and all a watch does is tell time. Period only thing it needs to do is tell time.
Audio reviewers are doing it wrong and that is my point.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Walk on positions in get rich quick schemes reliant on exploiting farcical and virtual association with long established brands producing technically superior goods is the new Art & Cheese?

Having already read through this madness. By all means every interested party should jointly strike off in the direction of incorporating a media empire that is to high end audio what Gawker Media was to low end sighted spectacle.

Maybe you can drag Geraldo Rivera into the fold to publicize the search for confabulated lost audio treasure. ;)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
yet watch reviews have far greater audiences and all a watch does is tell time. Period only thing it needs to do is tell time.
Audio reviewers are doing it wrong and that is my point.

But you get status from a watch because now if you walk into a room with a Daytona or FP Journe, people take notice. You can’t do that with a pair of speakers.

So there are differences…

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

Stuff like this would be great for the audio business. Its not complicated but its entertaining, not shot in 4k and he has over 4 million followers and the business he started he sold for 37million
But video is a waste LOL
But then, this guy is about half the age of typical audiophile ;)

Reactions: Lee

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
But you get status from a watch because now if you walk into a room with a Daytona or FP Journe, people take notice. You can’t do that with a pair of speakers.

So there are differences…
this really has little todo with making interesting and fun videos. Yes watches have more status, and are worn by most people but the freeking videos arent done by crypt keepers and those who are boring as hell.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
But then, this guy is about half the age of typical audiophile ;)
yes of course so expecting the typical audiophile to get something they dont understand and did not grow up with isnt going to be popular with that group to begin with. THis I get however it doesnt mean it cant work or wont work.

Reactions: exupgh12

KHORN1

Jul 18, 2023
North Georgia, USA
I have to admit I'm finding the increasing use of youtube clips etc as a format for reviewing hifi equipment really annoying. My preferred environment for taking in a review is while I'm listening to music on my system, which means reading rather than watching!

Anyone else find this, or is it just me?
I don't even bother. I can't judge fairly listening to audio equipment in a dealers showroom, let alone through my laptop. It's got to be integrated into my system.

Reactions: audiobomber

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't even bother. I can't judge fairly listening to audio equipment in a dealers showroom, let alone through my laptop. It's got to be integrated into my system.

the OPs question was about video reviews, like talking reviews opposed to reading.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

The best way to audition a system is in person. The second best way are 24/96 files from a simply mic'ed recording of same.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing