Any ECM Records fans here?

Probably over 150 LP's easy. Just got Shankar "Who's to Know" Indian traditional, fabuloso. Who isn't an ECM fan who has heard the LP's? There are a handful of tubed ones prior to early 80's, but the digital ECM LPs are nearly universally excellent.

The sad, Scandinavian Baltic Sea ones are great for reverie and nostalgia. Watch an episode of Wallender, put on some Jan Garbarek and immerse yourself in the sad, murky core of being.

Ok You have wetted my appetite to get more of these ECM, I had a few on LP and some on Cd.. Wouldn't mind getting more ...

How do I get a hold on their catalog? Their website is difficult to navigate..

Also would like recomendations on albums by Anouar Brahem .. I have the Astrakab Cafe album but don't seem to get into it ...just yet . I have however great things about him so ...

I used to buy only the import ECM LP pressings because the US ones were so unreliable (although occasionally there were excellent ones, you just couldn't depend on it). There are still some ECM LP's never released on CD (e.g., John Abercrombie Quartet although the first was available as an import CD, some Eberhard Weber albums, etc), but almost all that I had on LP I've reacquired on CD and/or hires digital (at HDTracks you can search by record label). Way too many to count easily, probably about 70-80 % of their total output.

Ok You have wetted my appetite to get more of these ECM, I had a few on LP and some on Cd.. Wouldn't mind getting more ...

How do I get a hold on their catalog? Their website is difficult to navigate..

Also would like recomendations on albums by Anouar Brahem .. I have the Astrakab Cafe album but don't seem to get into it ...just yet . I have however great things about him so ...

My favourite two Brahem albums are "Barzakh" and "Conte d l'incroyable amour". There are his two most traditional albums.

When in doubt, always consult allmusic (http://www.allmusic.com/artist/anouar-brahem-mn0000925762#discography). Listening to a few short clips from Barzakh will give you a good flavor of the mood of this album.

Two new ECM releases (Marc Johnson and Michael Formanek) in hires from HDTracks today.

Actually, it is Marc John & Elaine Elias. Very nice album!!!!! I bought the CD. ECM has had a banner year...with a bevy of stunning releases.

I still consider it a Marc Johnson album. Haven't listened to it or the Formanek yet but grabbed both from HDTracks. I'm not buying any more ECM CD's until a couple of weeks after they are released; an awful lot are coming out in hires too.

I still consider it a Marc Johnson album. Haven't listened to it or the Formanek yet but grabbed both from HDTracks. I'm not buying any more ECM CD's until a couple of weeks after they are released; an awful lot are coming out in hires too.

I have a few downloads and the corresponding CD. I should to a bit of a blind shoot out.

I am surprised Manfred Eichmann did not put together an infrastructure to sell studio master quality downloads.

I am surprised Manfred Eichmann did not put together an infrastructure to sell studio master quality downloads.

Very strange indeed. HDtracks e.a. must be getting a relatively small cut, otherwise any label with critical size would build their own download infrastructure. It can't be that hard. Thenagain, HD tracks does a lot of marketing.

I have a few downloads and the corresponding CD. I should to a bit of a blind shoot out.

I believe he did do this, but only outside the USA. Perhaps coincidentally, ECM's are just this week priced a little higher than most HDTracks.

Very strange indeed. HDtracks e.a. must be getting a relatively small cut, otherwise any label with critical size would build their own download infrastructure. It can't be that hard. Thenagain, HD tracks does a lot of marketing.

It hard to know just how much of the pie HDTracks takes. I agree it can't be that hard to build a download infrastructure.

Really? Where? Is it possible to provide a link?

I remember running across some ECM downloads, maybe at a French site. Sorry, there was no reason to remember the details.

I remember running across some ECM downloads, maybe at a French site. Sorry, there was no reason to remember the details.

You are thinking of Qobuz. Then in fact you were incorrect, ECM does not have its own direct download distribution.

You are thinking of Qobuz. Then in fact you were incorrect, ECM does not have its own direct download distribution.

Could be. As I posted, not available in the USA so I lost interest.

51oYGcFFzsL._SS400_.jpg

Watch for this one on HDTracks around the time of its release (scheduled for Nov 6 on CD)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing