Another playback software to argue over

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Ah, you're using the old version - there's no skip track in the new version & the sound has changed significantly also.
Replace all your files with the ones from the dropbox link I just posted.

You can also get the very latest MQNplay (2.65 SSE4 Intel V3) from here
Haven't listened to it yet but said to sound great

Ok. I will try those versions tonight.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I tried the 2.65 version of MQn last night. It sounded more open than version 2.63 that I started with and also a little more open than Jriver 19(not sure which version) using John's Ciunas DAC.

MQn does not work with my own DAC the Exasound e20. My dac uses only a custom ASIO driver and MQn uses WASAPI. I have noticed quite a difference between the sound quality of DSD files played back on Foobar vs Jriver through my dac though. The sound is much better through Jriver. More open and realistic. In Foobar I just changed to the 64bit drivers and now DSD sounds much better. Not sure which I prefer (Jriver/Foobar) because I have not taken the time to compare yet. I have no idea why there are differences between programs let alone different versions of programs but there seem to be.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Funny how all these bit-perfect streams sound different.
There are a number of people here who will deny you hear what you hear

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Are you saying there are no differences in SQ between different software or was yours a tongue in cheek response?

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Are you saying there are no differences in SQ between different software or was yours a tongue in cheek response?
I know that there are differences in SQ between different bit-perfect players I started the thread & suggested for people to try the software, MQN
I was just waiting on Julf, Amirm, J_J Tim & many others to tell us how unreliable the sense of hearing is.......DBTs......or to use Tim's term substantiate the "claim"

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

How about if you stopped telling people what you think we are thinking?

We are not denying anyone hears what they hear. We do question the reasons for *why* people hear what they hear. Not understanding the difference between those two is a rather fundamental failing.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Julf
You never fail to disappoint!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
We are not denying anyone hears what they hear. We do question the reasons for *why* people hear what they hear.

I think it's a bit of both, and I don't mean just you. We have read the term 'delusional' many times on this forum which is used to describe some people when they state what they hear with their systems. So I think there is quite a bit of denying what people hear more than I think there is questioning the reasons why people hear what they hear. Usually these conversations demand "proof," DBTs, measurements, etc. We see it all the time here.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I think it's a bit of both, and I don't mean just you. We have read the term 'delusional' many times on this forum which is used to describe some people when they state what they hear with their systems.

"Delusional" is of course both inappropriate and incorrect.

So I think there is quite a bit of denying what people hear more than I think there is questioning the reasons why people hear what they hear.

Saying that what people hear might be subject to perceptional bias and psycoacoustic factors is not the same as denying what people hear.

People hear what they hear. The correlation between differences between what people hear and differences in actual sound waves is in some cases strong and in other cases less strong.

It should be acceptable to discuss all those factors and the correlation (or lack of it) between sound waves and the perception of them, without people feeling that their experience is being "denied".

Usually these conversations demand "proof," DBTs, measurements, etc.

Nobody can demand proof of what you hear. If you say "speaker X sounds warm, with a tinge of orange", that is how you do perceive the sound. But if you make a claim such as "all speakers with an alnico magnet sound bad", then it is just a random opinion until you provide some support for the claim.

We see it all the time here.

But broad generalisations and diffuse accusations such as "There are a number of people here who will X" are always both misplaced and misdirected.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Let me say here that Clive (who posted here) has done both his own "accidental" blind test of this software & more importantly an organised blind test with 4 people. The results have shown that the differences are identifiable blind & sorted in the order of preference of sighted tests.

This has been posted by Clive on other forum threads that Julf participates on.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Although I have no interest in trying MQN, I do not understand why Julf keeps on attacking this software and jkeny. As far as I know, jkeny does not force anyone to buy or donate to MQN author. He just encourages people to try it. If you do not like this software, please stop posting in this thread. Whether the author releases the code or not, it is of no interest in this thread. Whether it is free according to open source or not, I do not care. I only know that I do not need to pay to use it unlike some other softwares.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I just tried downloading from the dropbox but wasn't able to (error 404 for each file).

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

RayCtech

Apr 17, 2012
Multiple..

Hi John, bit-perfect are only the very first basic requirement.
It will sound different from motherboard to motherboard, PSU to PSU, CPU to CPU, and from SW revision to SW revision.
Then it will sound different again with every variant of USB cable, USB adapter, DAC, PSUs for the USB adapter and DAC.
Then it will sound different again with every variant of cables, amplifiers, PSUs for amplifiers, and speakers, and the room they are used in.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Hi John, bit-perfect are only the very first basic requirement.
It will sound different from motherboard to motherboard, PSU to PSU, CPU to CPU, and from SW revision to SW revision.
Then it will sound different again with every variant of USB cable, USB adapter, DAC, PSUs for the USB adapter and DAC.
Then it will sound different again with every variant of cables, amplifiers, PSUs for amplifiers, and speakers, and the room they are used in.

I agree, Ray, that bit-perfection is a very basic requirement & that lots of other factors have/can have their effects.
However, essentially saying "everything matters" as in your post is somewhat different from demonstrating the specific effect of one factor, particularly when it is considered by many to be impossible. I consider it worth investigating.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Is it working now?
Impressions?

I didn't get it working. I highlighted a few FLAC files and copied them (to the clipboard) but when I then tried to play (via the .bat file) nothing happened. It may be because I remote desktop into my music server, not sure.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I didn't get it working. I highlighted a few FLAC files and copied them (to the clipboard) but when I then tried to play (via the .bat file) nothing happened. It may be because I remote desktop into my music server, not sure.

It's WAV files only (at the moment)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
It's WAV files only (at the moment)

OK then, well that explains it.

I don't use .WAV files for space reasons so I won't be able to test.

Sorry and thanks for the explanation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing