Another list of the top ten classical composers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Based on last Friday’s listening to The Passion of Christ according to Andrew Lloyd Webber, he’s on my list.

A few years ago I listened to the BSO perform Bach’s Passion on good Friday and then Weber’s the next day. Both very moving, in my opinion.

View attachment 91776

St John's or St Matthew? The best concert I ever saw was St Matthews passion. I also saw a boring version of it. It is three hours long so all performers need magic. And gets performed only during Easter.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Mahler's is more complex in pieces, but I feel he cannot hold it together as well. Do you listen all movements of his in his symphonies and sit through all of them through?
You bet. Each one of Mahler's symphony is a story or vision. I could no more listen to it in parts then watch just one part of a feature film and call it a day. When I listen to Mahler, it's a serious listening commitment. At least for me.
Looking forward to M6 in Chicago in 3 days right before heading to AXPONA.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I would refute Mahler in my personal list in favor of the closely associated Krenek. An intellectual decision with basis in among other acts, refusing to finish the mad final symphony for sale under immediate pressure by the family he had by this point joined. It is this very refusal at deep personal cost which allows deeper examination of greatness. I look not at the incessant flattery of music for kings nor ploys towards mortal sensationalism in depicting what formative basis a composer is valued above others at the moment a decision is being rendered. Nor do I find my own personal critiques anything but silliness if impacting the listening enjoyment of others.

Math and science could lose importance in the next grain of sand to fall. Shoving humane elements to the fore. Social examination among social beings is a very powerful force. Where it grows increasingly hard to recognize the world as it was in 1600. Retaking the ground laid more recently makes the work no less impactful. It has never been about surpassing the height of previous generations shoulders. In reality standing tall enough to draw level remains the challenge.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Any list that doesn't include Ravel is just wrong. I love Debussy but I think Ravel is above him. Where is Bartok?

I have no use for Brahms, Handel. I agree with Al about Chopin.

I personally don't see greatness in Bruckner, Prokofiev, Schubert. And Barber, other than Adagio for Strings ....?
The question I put myself was if I was going to that desert island what could I survive on so all these are just those I see greatness in, composers whose work I find the most compelling and captivating. More than anything I suppose it’s about resonating with their works and their spirit. Ravel was in my early list but didn’t survive the final pare back. I admire his work but considered that I don’t play much of it. So it was more about natural attrition. Barber is there for much of his work though for his concertos especially. Brahms and Schubert would be among the last to be cut if I had to reduce even more.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MadFloyd

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Any list that doesn't include Ravel is just wrong. I love Debussy but I think Ravel is above him. Where is Bartok?

I have no use for Brahms, Handel. I agree with Al about Chopin.

I personally don't see greatness in Bruckner, Prokofiev, Schubert. And Barber, other than Adagio for Strings ....?

Have you heard Schubert's Great (9th symphony) and his leider like winterreise? And you don't like them?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Have you heard Schubert's Great (9th symphony) and his leider like winterreise? And you don't like them?

Schubert's Great and the 8th symphony (The Unfinished) really have that divine spark that Beethoven is reported to have spoken of when he looked at some of Schubert's works.

I totally love Schubert's music.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
ian, just listen to first two minutes. Then, can you stop?

Reactions: christoph

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Overture to "The School for Scandal" !
+1 on that. My favourite Samuel Barber works are the piano concerto and violin concerto and very closely followed by the cello concerto, but for me all of these are great but I’d also add Knoxville Summer of 1915.

Reactions: bonzo75

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Liszt said of
ian, just listen to first two minutes. Then, can you stop?

Liszt said Schubert was the most poetic of composers, for me Chopin also shares that extraordinary musical poetry.

Reactions: tima and bonzo75

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Did someone say Schubert? How about a quintet.

Lots of these on the tube, the storied one is Du Pre, Perlman, Mehta, Barenboim, Zuckerman when they were young - a realistic Schubertium - though more about them than the music. This one has music and Mutter - so so, but I stopped looking.

Chopin? a seducer...

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Did someone say Schubert? How about a quintet.

Lots of these on the tube, the storied one is Du Pre, Perlman, Mehta, Barenboim, Zuckerman when they were young - a realistic Schubertium - though more about them than the music. This one has music and Mutter - so so, but I stopped looking.

Chopin? a seducer...
Talking seduction… or was it abduction… Schubert’s Death and the Maiden. Schubert’s abduction and seduction were fairly much one and the same. Such extraordinarily poignant music making composing while facing death. His song like lyricism and meaningful and soulful context was for me at the very core of his greatness.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Love Winterreise. The great just bores the hell out of me. I keep revisiting every so often hoping something will spark. Maybe one day. I also appreciate his piano sonatas. I just don't see him as one of the greats.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Love Winterreise. The great just bores the hell out of me. I keep revisiting every so often hoping something will spark. Maybe one day. I also appreciate his piano sonatas. I just don't see him as one of the greats.

Which recording? Also have you heard it live?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing