new 45rpm direct-to-disc---Dvorak Symphony No.9---he who hesitates...

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
As I wrote in my previous post, the second box set is OK. Those of you who’ve been lucky to get the Smetana box set will not be disappointed. You can expect similar sonic results generally but think in some aspects, Dvorak sounds even better. The tonality of strings is even more natural, and overall this (IMHO) beautifully performed piece sounds perhaps even a bit more transparent and detailed. Yes, this set is very expensive, but which high quality product is not. Worth every cent to me and looking forward to the Accentus Music’s next project.

Re. the side six alternate take of the Scherzo-Molto Vivace and it’s technical issue: I didn’t hear anything unusual. This part sounds perfect to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: crosswind and tima

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Anyone else getting multiple “delayed” emails from Presto Music? I got a second email today, after getting one a number of days ago. This one says they’ve been notified by their supplier that it’s ”suddenly out of stock” :eek: and they expect the situation to be resolved within the next two weeks!!!! I’m sorry, but this sounds like bull poop to me. This is such a small run that I’m guessing they’re going to wind up canceling my order. I’m betting they’re all gone by now.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Anyone else getting multiple “delayed” emails from Presto Music? I got a second email today, after getting one a number of days ago. This one says they’ve been notified by their supplier that it’s ”suddenly out of stock” :eek: and they expect the situation to be resolved within the next two weeks!!!! I’m sorry, but this sounds like bull poop to me. This is such a small run that I’m guessing they’re going to wind up canceling my order. I’m betting they’re all gone by now.
yes, i got both of those too from Presto.

it's possible, although i'm just guessing and have no inside knowledge, that the noise issue some have mentioned has caused DG to hold up on distribution until they figure it out. if a certain percentage are being returned they will have to investigate that. and unlikely for them to talk about it. so we are left hanging for now.

i do not know this is what's going on, but it's one possibility.

Last edited:

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Certainly hope you’re right, Mike. This is my first crack at one of these uber-limited edition releases that it seems only Mikey can get his hands on. :)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Certainly hope you’re right, Mike. This is my first crack at one of these uber-limited edition releases that it seems only Mikey can get his hands on. :)

Presto has been sold out since at least 11/29. Since they have not shipped to you, maybe you can place an order with jpc.de (Germany) then cancel with Presto.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/antonin-dvorak-symphonie-nr-9/hnum/11571080

When I looked just now they have them in stock and you'll save ~$45. They shipped two days after I ordered.

jpc.de
EUR 178,04 shipped to US
$203.04 USD via paypal
1883 copies

Btw, Accentus Music not DG.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway
Recieved my copy from JPC yesterday. Unplayed so far but will report back if noice issues are present.

Attachments

• IMG_2023.jpeg
    IMG_2023.jpeg
    679.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2024.jpeg
    IMG_2024.jpeg
    885.5 KB · Views: 6

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Presto has been sold out since at least 11/29. Since they have not shipped to you, maybe you can place an order with jpc.de (Germany) then cancel with Presto.
Thanks. I ordered mine on the 27th! :confused: If there is a bad batch out there, I wonder if the stack at jpc.de Is all problemati?

Nathanu

VIP/Donor
Dec 14, 2020
To offer some perspective on timing, I placed my order with jcp.de on November 25. On December 4, I received notification that my order was being processed and was expected to ship that day. That notification also reported that, if a tracking number is assigned, the tracking number will be provided in my shipping confirmation. I have not yet received shipping confirmation. Still seems early so no worries. And, the order could have shipped without a shipping confirmation. Has anyone had a different experience with this vendor?

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles
#497 Dvorak set arrived after 3 weeks from JPC.de. Every record looks and sounds clean with no blemish. However, even though the box set is the same high-quality packaging as Ma Vlast, they pressed these on flimsy ~140g vinyl with sharp edges rather than the 180g with smooth edges on Ma Vlast set.

I'm rather disappointed with their decision to raise the price yet lower the pressing quality. This may be my last purchase from them.

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
#497 Dvorak set arrived after 3 weeks from JPC.de. Every record looks and sounds clean with no blemish. However, even though the box set is the same high-quality packaging as Ma Vlast, they pressed these on flimsy ~140g vinyl with sharp edges rather than the 180g with smooth edges on Ma Vlast set.

I'm rather disappointed with their decision to raise the price yet lower the pressing quality. This may be my last purchase from them.

Interesting. By sharp edges I take it you mean the record's edge is narrower in virtue of the record having less vinyl.

Some folks will see 140g as a positive. Or let me say that a little differently ... Original issues - pre-barcode -- from the likes of Decca, Philips, RCA and Mercury were not 180 grams, with claims of superior or preferred sonics attached to them. Less material but not lower pressing quality, at least to some. What do others think?

Reactions: mtemur

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Interesting. By sharp edges I take it you mean the record's edge is narrower in virtue of the record having less vinyl.

Some folks will see 140g as a positive. Or let me say that a little differently ... Original issues - pre-barcode -- from the likes of Decca, Philips, RCA and Mercury were not 180 grams, with claims of superior or preferred sonics attached to them. Less material but not lower pressing quality, at least to some. What do others think?
140g LPs do not have any limitation in terms of groove depth. It has plenty of thickness for even the deepest grooves. There is an argument that thicker LPs have less flex, but I don't think it makes any difference in reality. The quality of the vinyl makes a lot more difference in terms of background noise and wear resistance.

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles

The sharp edges are due to both the thinner vinyl and a sharp edge trim after pressing. I own other 140g records and the edges on those are much smoother(rounder).

As for the benefits of thicker vinyl - to properly compare the differences, one has to use the same release with different pressing thicknesses, like the Classic Records Who's Next, which was released on both 150g and 200g, or the old Mobile Fidelity UHQR 200g vs regular pressing.

Reactions: tima

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I can’t find a direct relationship between vinyl weight and quality but 140g vinyl sounds better to my ears.

Reactions: bonzo75 and tima

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
For those who canceled with Presto, how did you do it and how long did it take to get your refund? I sent them an email almost two weeks ago requesting cancellation, and so far have no indication the Dvorak order has been refunded.

jbr7

May 19, 2020
For those who canceled with Presto, how did you do it and how long did it take to get your refund? I sent them an email almost two weeks ago requesting cancellation, and so far have no indication the Dvorak order has been refunded.
Today, January 1, 2024, I received a notification that Presto continues to be out of stock on this item. Before officially canceling my order, I wrote asking if they thought they would eventually receive it or if that window had passed due to the limited pressing quantity. I await Presto's response.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Today, January 1, 2024, I received a notification that Presto continues to be out of stock on this item. Before officially canceling my order, I wrote asking if they thought they would eventually receive it or if that window had passed due to the limited pressing quantity. I await Presto's response.
I did get an email saying they initiated a refund and that I should see it soon. I’ll be interested in their response. I should get my copy from jpc.de tomorrow or Wednesday according to tracking information. Hopefully it won’t be noisy.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I got my expected shipment from jpc.de today. In the 14xx range. Looks visually perfect. After a bath in the ultrasonic tank hopefully it will turn out to be a nice, quiet copy.

Reactions: MadFloyd

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I got my expected shipment from jpc.de today. In the 14xx range. Looks visually perfect. After a bath in the ultrasonic tank hopefully it will turn out to be a nice, quiet copy.
got mine last week from jpc.de but only listened to the first disc so far. noise floor in the normal range, not exceptionally quiet but fine in that respect. I did enjoy it, immediate and egaging. and happy I own it.

need to listen again without a critical ear and just let it happen.

I did request a refund from Presto about 3 weeks ago but no response or refund yet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing