Analog or Digital Playback On This Video?

Is This Video a Recording of Analog or Digital Playback?

• Analog

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Digital

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Roberta Flack "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

Do you think I recorded on this video analog or digital playback?

Last edited:

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
I’ll go first…I have no idea
But think it’s cool for those who could reliably tell from the videos

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Ron,

Just because you asked I'll guess that's digital.
obviously its hard to know what play from a video on the web, especially as we don't have reference video of your analog and digital system to compare.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It's analog, since you described it on your thread, Ron.

But it sounds like a bad caricature of digital.

All that needs to be known about system videos.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
It's analog, since you described it on your thread, Ron.

But it sounds like a bad caricature of digital.

All that needs to be known about system videos.
Will you eat your hat if I'm correct?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Let us not overlook the possibility that Ron might be being particularly devious here and is playing track two from :

Roberta Flack Quiet Fire LP Atlantic K40297 NM/NM 1971 ;)

IMG_9171.jpeg

IMG_9170.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This video recording is of the sound of an analog tape playback.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think perhaps that some of our classical music focused and jazz music focused members don't realize how poorly recorded is much of rock and pop music, and how those poor analog recording techniques replicate some of the brightness and harshness of digital.

When you add to this the iPhone's actual analog to digital conversion and then your iPhone's or computer's conversion back to analog it is not difficult to understand why poorly recorded analog can easily sound like digital, and sometimes bad digital at that.

Ampexed

May 2, 2023
Well, it sure is digital coming from the YouTube video regardless of what it started out as. :eek:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Reactions: Rexp

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
I think perhaps that some of our classical music focused and jazz music focused members don't realize how poorly recorded is much of rock and pop music, and how those poor analog recording techniques replicate some of the brightness and harshness of digital.

When you add to this the iPhone's actual analog to digital conversion and then your iPhone's or computer's conversion back to analog it is not difficult to understand why poorly recorded analog can easily sound like digital, and sometimes bad digital at that.
Interesting, is this the exact same video you posted on Vimeo?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
While I hate to agree completely with phone recording not being at all accurate
In many places this is true

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
However :

Vimeo has a 3-tier pricing scheme:

1. Vimeo Basic users pay no fee and are limited to uploading 1 HD video and 500MB of content per week (and at reduced upload speeds), but can still upload 10 standard definition (SD) videos per day. Videos cannot be embedded in HD. Banner ads will appear on their videos.
  2. Vimeo Plus users pay $9.95/month and can upload 5GB of HD videos per week, up to 260GB per year, and are also able to embed their videos in HD. Their videos are played back free of ads. Plus users have more channel customizations options than Basic users, but cannot add specific branding.
  3. Vimeo PRO costs $199/year. PRO users can upload 20GB of HD video per week, up to 1000GB per year, and receive faster upload times and banner ad-free playback of their videos. Their videos can also be embedded in HD. Videos are played back ad-free, and there are no banner ads on the page. Users can also create unlimited groups, channels, and albums, and have the option for the Vimeo On Demand distribution service, which offers a 90/10 revenue split. PRO users have advanced customization options for their channel and can add their own branding, and get unlimited HD plays on any device.
YouTube is free, and has no structured pricing plan. Videos are limited to 15 minutes in length for most users, and there is no limit to the amount of videos that may be uploaded or viewed.

Reactions: Lee

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interesting. Thank you all for this information.

I don't know anything about or understand the underlying platforms.

Is there a way to post something on the WBF YouTube channel but to preserve the conduit back to Vimeo?

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Interesting. Thank you all for this information.

I don't know anything about or understand the underlying platforms.

Is there a way to post something on the WBF YouTube channel but to preserve the conduit back to Vimeo?
You can post the link in the description or comments?:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing