Amir's HTC DNA Review

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir’s HTC DNA Review

I thought I was ahead of the game when I bought my Motorola Droidx two years ago. Well, it started off really buggy. Google fixed that with a couple of updates. Alas the last one made it dead slow. Everything took a couple of seconds to start and of course the 3G network did not help either. So the itch got stronger and stronger to get an upgrade.

First target was the Samsung Galaxy III. Got one as an upgrade for my son. Pretty nice phone and thin/light. But the colors were way off and OLED screen burn an issue. Plus it felt kind of cheap and plasticy.

Next was the Razr HD Maxx from Motorola. But while I was waiting on that, I learned about the Samsung Note 2. I liked that because my main application for my “phone” is not to make phone calls but to keep up with email, WBF :), and looking things up, etc. I was constantly zooming and sliding the screen to see web page and such. So I thought Note 2 would solve that. Size had me concerned some.

Then I heard about the rumors of the HTC DNA which was released recently in Japan. The specs made me really salivate. What really caught my eye though was that it was hardly bigger than a normal phone and smaller than Note 2.

So sight unseen but after reading some reviews, I picked one up the morning of Nov. 21. This is my quick review of it augmenting the many that are online. Price was a reasonable $199 with contract instead of the outrageous $299 for Razor HD Maxx. And the same for Note 2.

Let’s start at the top. This phone is the same width as modern Android smartphones. But is about half inch taller. For that, you get a remarkable 1080 display. I am talking about 1920x1080 pixels – same as your 40 or 50 inch display shrunk to 5 inches! I am talking about 440 pixels per inch. I am talking 30% higher than the mighty iPhone 5’s “retina” display. I am talking about bragging rights for the whole neighborhood!!! :D

Now this would be for not if this was not a quality display with good contrast. But it is. You will read huge praise for this display in every review. Let me tell you this: it is even better than that! Text is so well formed on this device that is seems to be like ink floating on top of glass. Likewise graphics and colors are natural but with superb quality. I have read that the color tint is a bit on the blue side relative to iPhone 5. If it is that, it is not too obvious.

Here is a startling test for me. I was testing an update of my company’s web site: madronadigital.com. To make sure it looks good everywhere I usually test it on my phone. So I load up the page and nearly fall off my chair when the entire web site shows up *in portrait mode*! Like most modern web site, ours is fixed width at 900+ pixels. Of course, that fits in 1080 pixels with some left over for good measure! The text while crisp was hard to read. I rotated the phone and now it was fully legible! Load up the site and you can see the difference I am talking about relative to scrolling you have to do on any other phone (Samsung, etc. are 720p).

The screen alone would have made the phone but there is one more star: the aesthetics. I tell you, this is the first phone that blindfolded you would think Apple produced it had Verizon not forced the masculine black and red colors onto it. It is stunning in every way. It is thin yet expensive looking. The curves are perfect as are accent colors. The back has some kind of matt finish but strangely, shows fingerprints. It provides adequate friction to keep the phone from being slippery but would have been nice to be more sticky.

Under the hood this is a quad core CPU running at 1.5 Ghz. It runs Jellybean (4.1) release of Android which is supposed to have performance enhancements. Just about everything you do is instantaneous on this phone. Occasionally though, it will start to stutter a bit. It is not remotely like my last phone and is only noticeable because it is so fast otherwise.

4G LTE sings as it should. I measured about 13 mbit/sec at our house with half signal strength. On Wifi using Comsast land line, this dropped to 6 mbit/sec! This is a shared network at home though. Still, it was funny that everything ran better using the 4G LTE than land line. One video I was trying to watch kept stuttering with Comcast but ran smooth as silk using LTE.

Jellybean adds some nice features such as battery reporting down to each app/feature. In typical web browsing/email workload, I get more than 24 hours of use before it shuts down. This is somewhat better than my Droidx. Start playing games or use the video camera though and power consumption picks up. This phone has 2X more pixels than Samsung GIII and filling them constantly with a full frame of game or video takes more CPU. The battery is 2000 miliamps so on the lighter. For my use which includes very little game play, it is perfectly fine. But otherwise, it may be problematic.

Also problematic for many will be lack of micro-SD expansion card and the fact that it only comes in 16 Gigabyte version! I heard the Japanese version did have micro-SD so Verizon pushed this to not have one. Can’t figure out why they would do that other than driving bandwidth usage by pushing cloud storage. It is not an issue for me since I use a separate music player when on the road. As it is, the device has 11 Gigabytes free.

Another problem is a cover over its micro-USB jack. It is there to make it water resistance apparently. Reviews say it is hard to open and close. I did not find it so. What I found problematic was that it is very hard to stuff the plug in there. It goes in a bit and then gets stuck. You have to really jam it in there. I am hoping over time this will loosen. For now, to solve both problems, I have ordered a Qi wireless charger which the HTC supports natively. I ordered the Nokia version. Will write a review when it arrives.

One of my concerns was whether this device fits in the pocket. I am happy to report that it easily does. Even in my tight jeans. It is thinner than my Droid so on that front you feel it less. But it does feel a bit longer. OK, no jokes please :D. The sharp edges do make it a bit hard to hold when making long phone calls. I learned to loosen my grip some and that helped.

The speaker it the thing is loud. But if the volume is too high, the back resonates. You can't hear it audibly but you do feel it in your hand and it is kind of annoying. Lowering the volume some eliminates it yet the level still remains loud enough.

Voice quality on the receiving end is excellent. I don't know yet how it sounds at the other end.

Compatibility wise, I have only found two related to the display. First one is the calculator. The digits don’t fit the boxes and get clipped! OK, how hard is it to notice something like this and fix it? No big deal but it is the kind of fit and finish problems that gives Apple an advantage. The second problem was in a Tide Prediction program I downloaded. In landscape mode it put up a keyboard that was totally screwed up. But worked in portrait mode.

Talking about the keyboard, boy this was an unexpected but pleasant surprise. This thing is just large enough to have a keyboard where in portrait mode you can type and never hit the wrong key! This makes a huge difference in usability. On the down side, its config is a bit less optimal than my Motorola. For example, it doesn’t put up the @ sign on the first page which one uses frequently when filling out online forms and logging in. There are third-party keyboards so that can be easily fixed.

I am not big on cameraphones but did play with it a bit. I liked its very close focusing which was down to 2-3 inches. Often I use my camera phone to take a picture of some sticker on a product or model number and having close focusing is nice.

I never do any conferencing on my phone either but did play with the front camera. First use was to have it unlock the phone using my face. It was then that I noticed how distorted my face was. Reviews praise this for giving you a wider view. Well, the other side of the coin is that this wide angle lens distorts things and gives a non-flattering image of you. I think I have a second reason to not use it for video conferencing :). Anyway, the screen lock thing as I expected was useless. It worked well when I used it where I configured it. Then I moved to our kitchen and with different lighting, it could no longer recognize my face. So I turned it off.

Even if you are not interested in this phone, the features here pave the way for many others come next year. I expect just about every high-end phone to have a 1080p display next year and quad core CPUs standard. I would give it a 9 out of 10 for my needs. No other phone would reach the same score in my application. HTC had really fallen behind and with this phone have managed to reach the top. It is highly recommended if you can live within its bounds of storage.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for the review Amir!

I have a Note and saw the Note 2 a few weeks ago. The image quality on the Note 2 is quite a bit better, but if, as you say, the HTC is better still, then it must have an amazing display. Although I'm not in the market I do intend on checking it out for myself.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Nice review Amir. Minor correction - the Droid DNA ships with Android 4.1, also known as Jelly Bean. Re: the numbers on the calculator, I think that is a deliberate decision by HTC to make the calculator look like this:

The 16GB on this thing is a deal breaker as far as I am concerned. However, my carrier (Telstra) has a history of getting us special versions. e.g. the HTC One XL which I am using is a special version which has 32GB instead of 16GB supplied to the rest of the world. I need this much because I use my phone as a USB stick so I need plenty of storage. If it didn't have that, I would have bought a Galaxy S3 ... but like you, I am not a fan of the cheap feeling S3.

I wish that someone in the Android world would put together the perfect phone. The screen and CPU from the HTC Droid DNA / J Butterfly, the build quality and battery capacity of the Motorola RAZR HD MAXX, and the software from the Nexus 4. That would be a killer phone.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think we are seeing a massive "spec push" on the Android side so I expect to see other phones adopt 1080p displays, and such. The whole Android phone market has become quite active and exciting. Q1 2013 would be the period to watch if you don't have to buy something right now.

On the calculator, yes that is what it looks like. I assumed it was a dpi calculation which was misfiring in calculating the button sizes.

Finally, as I noted the Japanese version was said to include an SD card. So there is a good possibility of getting other versions for different carriers since in general, HTC plays a submissive role to the carrier power, as opposed to Samsung, Apple, etc.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think we are seeing a massive "spec push" on the Android side so I expect to see other phones adopt 1080p displays, and such. The whole Android phone market has become quite active and exciting. Q1 2013 would be the period to watch if you don't have to buy something right now.

On the calculator, yes that is what it looks like. I assumed it was a dpi calculation which was misfiring in calculating the button sizes.

Finally, as I noted the Japanese version was said to include an SD card. So there is a good possibility of getting other versions for different carriers since in general, HTC plays a submissive role to the carrier power, as opposed to Samsung, Apple, etc.

Is this only available from Verizon? No unlocked version?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is this only available from Verizon? No unlocked version?
The phone is unlocked but only sold from Verizon. People have tried AT&T sim in it and works. So in theory you should be able to pay full price for it and use it elsewhere.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
My contract with Verizon is up next week, so I've been looking at what I may want to get to replace my HTC Thunderbolt.

I looked at the Droid DNA. Impressive, especially the display, but the deal breaker, not counting the lack of a microSD slot, was the non-removable battery of limited capacity. The Verizon store employee instilled no confidence when I asked what happens when (not if) the battery doesn't last as long as it did when new. He said [sic] it's an HTC matter, not Verizon's. Talk about an off-putting reply.

Then I played with a Galaxy Note 2 at the T-Mobile store. WOW. Sure, it's BIG, but it checks all the boxes:
- Replaceable battery with significantly higher capacity than the DNA (3100 vs. 2020 mAh) - this is the most important feature. I can't and won't accept a phone with limited battery life (the T-bolt is an example of that, but at least its battery is replaceable).
- Vivid high resolution screen. Not as many pixels as the DNA, but holy mackerel.
- The pen apps look to be quite useful. Taking notes while on the phone is a great feature, for one. Sketching and handwriting recognition are others.
It's also not bogged down with HTC Sense bloat, which can only delay Android OS updates. Not an overriding concern, but still.

I'm buying the Galaxy Note 2. It's a solid choice I won't regret. It remains to be seen how many Droid DNA owners have battery issues down the road.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There is no question that this phone comes with some limitations. The $100 discount relative to Note 2 may reflect that.

On battery, I got my Nokia wireless charger. Boy, does it make it easy to keep the battery charged up. Get one for work and when you are not using the phone just put it on it. It charges the battery and you are good to go! I am going to buy a couple of others for home and keep it topped up. Lithium Ion batters handle a lot more cycles if you don't fully discharge them. Here is how many cycles it takes for the battery to lose 30% of its total capacity:

100% discharge: 300 to 500 cycles
50% discharge: 1,200 - 1,500 cycles
25% discharge: 2,000 - 2,500 cycles
10% discharge: 3,750 - 4,000 cycles

Let's compare the 50% case to 100%, i.e. charging the unit at work mid-day. If we divide the rate for that by two to compensate for two charge cycles, we get 600 to 750 cycles before we get down to 70% total capacity. That is twice as good as letting the phone fully discharge at 300 to 500 cycles! Using the 50% number then, we have capacity for good two+ years of daily use/discharge. Even afater that we still have 70% charge so it is not end of the world. Should we not fully discharge it, as is the case with my and my HTC usage, then it will last even longer.

So short of a defective unit, or one that has been sitting on the shelf for a while (not an issue with HTC which just came out), I think battery concern should not be a major issue if one gets a wireless charger for mid-day fill up! :)

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
I agree the DNA price is more attractive, but $100 isn't a show stopper. Having dead phone in the middle of the afternoon while you're out and about without the ability to recharge and without the ability to put in a fresh battery is, though. I don't want to worry about such things. It just has to work and last all day.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Hi Brian, I agree with your comments re: the HTC DNA. I am a little concerned about the battery life as well, though early reports from Japan and the USA seem to be a bit variable. As a point of comparison, I have a HTC One XL. The main differences between my phone and the Droid DNA - it has a smaller battery (1800 mAh vs. 2020 mAh), slower CPU (dual core Snapdragon vs. quad core), smaller screen (4.7" vs. 5"), and different OS (4.0 vs. 4.1).

Using several power saving strategies I can get to the end of my working day with 70% battery life. This includes checking emails, taking 5-6 phone calls per hour, replying SMS, taking photos, etc. The "must have" app is Tasker. With this app, it is possible to automate nearly everything on your phone. For example, ALL my radios except for GSM are turned off - no GPS, no wifi, no 3G/LTE, no Bluetooth, nothing. Tasker then turns on each radio depending on context. If it knows I am near my home (i.e. plugged into car cradle AND it senses the cellular towers near my home) it will turn on wifi. If it knows I am at work (senses cellular towers near my work, time of day, etc) then all the radios are turned off. If I launch certain apps, it will turn on the wifi, or 3G/LTE, depending on what I have told it to do, and then turn it off again when I exit the app. Every 30 minutes it wakes up and checks for email and push notifications then turns off 3G/LTE again. If it senses a low battery state, it will turn off ALL radios, dim the screen, and throttle the CPU.

You can of course program Tasker to do other things, e.g. my phone is silent unless certain people on my exception list rings. If I call my wife on her iPhone, and she has set it to silent, her phone won't ring. But if she rings me, no matter what I am doing, what time of the day, and what state the phone is in (except flat battery), the phone will ring. Incredibly useful.

In summary then, what I am saying is - I would not be worried about the battery life on the Droid DNA. Although I must say that the lack of removable battery and lack of MicroSD expansion are major annoyances if not deal breakers for me.

Anyway, that little diversion aside, I don't worry about HTC Sense bloat. I don't think it is any worse than Samsung Touchwiz bloat :) My phone is rooted, bootloader unlocked, and I am running Cyanogenmod 10. Everything works on this third party ROM, which is another great feature of Android.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here is a sample point on almost best case scenario. Phone has bee up for a little over 7 hours. It is in 3G only area. And I have turned it on a few times to check messages, look up something on map, etc. Battery capacity is at 71%! In other words, this is a very efficient phone when lightly loaded. My old Droidx with the same usage would be down to 30% by now.

If you bang on it though, it will suck juice. It will also get a bit warm on the back although no more than my old Droidx. This is the reason I think for the wildly different battery reports. In casual use this has plenty of power. In heavy use it may not.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing