Amir's CES 2013 Coverage: Main Hall (Video and other technologies) Part 1:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi guys. Here is the start of my CES report. This was fraught with technical difficulties as far as “reporting.” The first day I got there the battery in my camera died after a few shots. It said it was 100% full before I left :-(. Usually it gets me through a show like this without remotely needing charge so I did not bring the charger with me. Had to buy a $25 one at Fry’s. But cost me $40 for the taxi ride and half hour wait in line at the hotel to get there for a total of $64. Could have almost bought a new camera for that! :eek:

The bigger problem was the wireless at my hotel. It was super flakey. Argued with their support line and they kept promising to fix it but nothing happened for the duration of my trip. So here I am, at the airport, starting to upload my files and linking them here.

Anyway, back to the show. This thread is about the main hall which is usually video intensive given that all the major companies hang out there. As you may know, Bill Gates/Microsoft for the first time pulled out of CES. That seemed to have a big impact on the show. Bill Gates keynotes were a huge draw, with lines around the block. I doubt anyone lined up for the crew they had here instead this time. Added to this was the Japanese companies seriously scaling back. Panasonic booth was a fraction of its usual size. Ditto for Sony. Sharp seemed to not be that much smaller but also lacked buzz. LG and Samsung tried to fill the gap with massive booths with lots of traffic. Not enough to fill the vacuum though. Clearly space was auctioned at low prices as there were tons of Chinese, Taiwanese and Korean companies where there would normally be major companies you would recognize by name. Here is a shot showing how the Chinese company TCL had taken two thirds of what used to be Panasonic’s last year booth:

I usually take two days to do the main/South halls but due to above, I got bored two thirds into the first day!

The major theme for this show as expected was higher resolution/larger/OLED displays. I won’t rehash all the press releases which all the other rags have done. But let me clue you into an exclusive: there were a ton of smoke and mirrors. Almost without exception, every display had serious manufacturing flaws. Dead pixels abound, some so serious that it looked like pieces were literally missing from the display! In one case, I saw the dreaded vertical panel joint meaning to get the larger size, they had pieced smaller units together and the seam was showing. All of these problems need to get resolved to get real products for manufacturing. So I suspect the timelines for some of these displays is quite long, and/or pricing very high as they manually sort through them to find working units/ones that can be repaired.

Here is an example of this kind of flaw:

See the black spot in the top right quadrant? That is a dead pixel and a giant one at that. Remarkable how obvious it was, and how oblivious people are to them as I have not seen anyone report it.

Moving on Nvidia announced a new Android based game console. It looks as ugly as its name, “Project Shield:”

I guess there was be a huge shortage of competent marketing people to have come up with that name. And every industrial design company must have been closed on the day they decided on creating this cheap looking device. I say good luck to them, competing with their traditional device customers….

In the south hall I ran into this product that is a headphone that works through bone conduction:

It made it very comfortable to wear. Sadly, it had no lows or highs. If you stuck your fingers in your ear, then you got huge amount of ugly bass. The thing had won a bunch of awards so it was probably me, being grumpy after seeing the above Nvidia product. :D The company name is Aftershockz in case you are interested (and I was in using while exercising).

This company had an integrated system where they would measure how you were biking and then synchronize it to streaming video from their site. Seemed well done for someone like me who has never looked at products like this: :)

Multiple people could race the same route and you could see your position relative to theirs and such.

DTS was showing a simplified headphone surround virtualizer, ala Smyth Research. It was called “Headphone X.” They did a demo in a theater first with 11.1 speaker configuration. Then they repeated the same with just an ordinary pair of headphones. The first demo was startlingly good: they did the usual speaker identification track where each speaker announces its location and type (“Left Height”). I was getting ready for something really good. But it was not to come. They played a movie and the dialog was very strange as it did not seem to at all come from the center front. Same thing happened with the next movie clip. The virtualization was heavy on rear, but almost nonexistent in the front. I think they shot too high and missed. Another natural problem was lack of bass of course. Without a sub the special effects were extremely lackluster. Strange that they would pick material that focused so much on that. This was a prototype so hopefully they dial out the issues in it.

Here is the shot of the speaker ID track:

And the headphone:

As expected all the CE companies had 4K displays which they now call Ultra HD. A better name if you ask me as “4K” was wrong anyway. TV resolutions use vertical resolution. 1080p has 1920 horizontal pixels. A 4X more pixel display would have been 2016p and not “4k.” Here is Toshiba’s take on Ultra HD:

Realizing that there is no “4K” content, the marketing departments in these companies were busy inventing new names for what is simply upscaling. You can see Toshiba’s name above. Here is their brochure on that:

They also showed this interesting, super wide screen laptop:

While I was there, I spotted Steve’s dream car:

Canon was there and the only thing that was interesting to me was this cut away of super telephoto lens:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Storage and transmission of “4K” content is going to be a huge pain. With resolution that is 4X higher than 1080p, it will create a serious problem. As it is, we are struggling to get 1080p through the Internet. One ray of hope is a new compression standard called HEVC (High-efficiency Video Codec). This is an enhanced version of H.264/MPEG-4 AVC which is in use in Blu-ray. Target is to get twice as efficient although likely it won’t do that across all content. Standardization is in progress and is supposed to finish this year. But that didn’t stop companies from demoing it. Here is a European telecom showing it:

Sadly, the image was horrible. Full of compression artifacts. From what I recall, the bit rate was 3 mbit/sec. As a way of reference, the rate on DVD is 10 mbit/sec and Blu-ray is 48. So while there is potential there, you couldn’t tell from this sad demo.

Samsung was touting their new high contrast LCDs:

And marketing material around that:

To my earlier point regarding 4K content, here is Samsung claiming Netflix is giving them such resolution feed:

The demo was cooked of course. It was very likely running from a server behind the curtain and not streaming. And at any rate, it was not a movie but random stock video footage. Studios are very far from licensing 4K content to people and there is not a lot of to license anyway.

Here are their UltraHD displays with their somewhat odd looing stands:

The TVs were massive and very thick. Forget about hanging them on a wall and such. Here is a shot showing that:

Here is a shot of fake upscaling:

You probably can’t see it in that image but the right one was “sharper.” Of course, it also had artifacts. Get ready for “upscaling” that cooks the high contrast areas as to give the appearance of high resolution.

The new stand is extending to their traditional smaller line:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sharp was showing an “8K” display. Here is an image of it:

Yes, it looked that washed out in person. It had almost no contrast. Lots of people gathered around this subpar display with no production date, cost or as I just said, performance.

Apparently, folks at Sharp were shopping for names at the same place as Nvidia to have come up with “moth eye” for the name of their new LCD film:

It apparently has dimples in front like the Moth Eye helping it reduce reflections although you could not tell it from the above demonstration. To me, you could see the ripples in it which detracted from the minimum improvement in reflection. This was another technology with no release date.

The buzzword at Sharp booth was “IZGO.” Yes, another marketing genius who came up with that name! :D It is next generation LCD from sharp focused on smaller displays. It uses smaller transistors which use less power. Focused around mobile displays up to computer monitors, it allows them to cram more pixels in the same space. They showed a stunning 32 inch 4K computer monitor using it:

Alas, also stunning is the $7,000 price! But boy, I want one! You can get a touch screen for it which will set you back another $1,000.

Panasonic showed the VT60 series Plasma which has better contrast than VT50 currently shipping. But the star of the show was the new ZT series which eliminates the glass in front of the plasma and has a new red cell. In a darkened room, the dark areas were completely black whereas the current V50 model was gray. Strangely I remember the same situation last year where the VT50 had the same high contrast of the ZT series! So likely they mess with the current generation product to make it look worse in these demos. Regardless, the hope is that they have finally caught up to the Pioneer Kuro in contrast. Sadly, I am reminded of a line in the movie Wall Street: “the last guy who built a horse buggy, probably built the best horse buggy there was!” Not sure how long Panasonic can hang in there.

Here is a shot of their marketing for the new red phosphor:

And the panel itself:

Removal of the extra glass results in less reflections. The display is almost half glossy now. Here is a straight shot with the model number:

No price but ship date is May of this year. The VT60 ships in Feb I think.

Panasonic was also showing this 4K 20 inch Windows 8 all-in-one PC:

It was a lot of fun screening photos on it. Think of a giant iPad with of course the ability to run proper photoshop:

Alas, like a lot of stuff at this show, it had no price or availability.

I hate, hate, hate the food at the convention center. Take the worst cafeteria food and make it worse and that is what you get, priced at high restaurant levels. So imagine my surprise when I saw this stand serving super gormet meatballs from the famous feisty chef, Carla Pellegrino. Here is her poster next to place where they were serving them:

Steve will have to confirm if some kind of meatballs have been stuffed in her lips artificially. :D The meatballs (the real ones, not her lips!) were a bit too firm for my taste, but they were still delicious. The salad was high class, with pear and such in it. If I were not on a low cholesterol diet (I got the chicken meatballs) I would have had two orders. :D The service was also lightning fast. I am hoping she comes back.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As I noted, LG was there in full force. Here they were showing a curved 3-D OLED display. The curve was about 5 degrees I think or something like it.

Unlike Samsung, they had a lot of OLED displays and let you get very close to them. Alas as I noted earlier, they had dead pixels in all of them. Not sure how they are going to charge $12,000 for such a display or have enough time to fix the problem before shipping by mid-year.

Here is a shot of their OLED displays. This shot doesn’t show it but they certainly had super high contrast and pop:

And another:

Here is their Ultra HD. I got confused as I could swear three other companies claimed that their 84 inch was the first in the world:

Here is shot of their smaller Ultra HD displays:

More real and down to earth was their new high resolution computer display costing only $700:

And specs:

LG was also showing a recorded loop of a Korean Broadcast of 4K:

It looked OK. It also used HEVC but had fair bit of artifacts if you looked close together with frames dropping and such.

Viewing angle on the UltraHD displays seemed really good:

So at least they are putting their good panels there. Dead on picture showing “pop:”

Now for something different: a Segway without handle bar:

That is it for now. Next chapter will be on the high-end audio.

KBK

Jan 3, 2013
Canon was there and the only thing that was interesting to me was this cut away of super telephoto lens:

Jeepers, I hope that is not representative of finished product. I see about 3% more contrast that can be pulled out of that unit. (meaning: things that could be done) Other than my inner twitchy techno perfectionist kicking in, I think it is an awesome lens. it costs a pretty penny, I'm sure. Probably all ED glass and the like.

every time I see giant displays, some inner part of me thinks of "the emperor's nose" briefing from woody Allen's film 'Sleeper'.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Amir, thank you. ...I like your style of describing things, under their true lights.

Yes, I knew about Microsoft ....
And I also know about a lot of other stuff at this 2013 CES; but your viewpoint is additional eye opening.

* See, what a simple dead pixel can do to your 'state of relaxing mode'!
We've talked about that before, and you simply told me to ignore it. ...Ya, right! :D

Anywoo, we're not quite there yet.

And 4K content is the major thing because you simply cannot put that on a Blu-ray disc!
So we need another video format (software) all together!

I've heard that the newest and latest Sony 84" display won an award. ...I forgot her model number.
And the Oppo BDP-105 also won an award.

You didn't mention about Samsung's voice & gesture-operated commands for their HDTVs.
Tomorrow we won't need no more remotes....

BTW Amir, what do you think on the latest news about Java's issues from our PCs?

And that car you just showed us above; I think it's perfect for you. :D

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Glad to see Panasonic plasmas catching up towards Pioneers never produced 10th gen. Hope they stay in business long enough for that to drop to reasonable prices.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Thanks Amir.

For the first time in years I skipped CES this year because the hype was just getting to be too much and the audio demo quality too little. I really enjoyed your overview and respect your take on things and therefore eagerly await your high end piece.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
really nice photos Amir. Like Russ I was also unable to attend as construction starts on my room this week and I had to be certain all my ducks were in order.

How does the PQ of the UltraHD sets compare to the OLED shown by LG and Samsung

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Thanks Amir, My team had no time for the main halls but I did shoot a video of a nifty "Dick Tracy like" wristwatch phone from the Sands convention center. Ill post it here when I get a chance.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
really nice photos Amir. Like Russ I was also unable to attend as construction starts on my room this week and I had to be certain all my ducks were in order. (...)

Although this is Amir thread on the CES (Thanks Amir!) I can't stop asking if you are going to create a separate thread on the construction of your room?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Although this is Amir thread on the CES (Thanks Amir!) I can't stop asking if you are going to create a separate thread on the construction of your room?

I plan on it as it has been a real challenge designing it for the past 6 months

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
How does the PQ of the UltraHD sets compare to the OLED shown by LG and Samsung
OLEDs really stand out in total contrast. Black is simply black. Ultra HD sets appear to be using the best glass these companies have since they are high priced products. So they tended to also look good. The problem with them is that there is no content for them to drive at native resolution. Everything has to be "upsampled" from 1080p to 4X the resolution. Upsampling doesn't create new resolution. It simply maps the 2 million pixels into 8. So the extra resolution is not of value unless the set is huge and you sit so close that you see the pixel structure. Almost no one sits that close. Exceptions may be a showcase large LCD used as wall art. Or wanting bragging rights :).

Back to OLED I have two major concerns with them:

1. Lack of uniformity. I am worried that the picture color/brightness will vary across the screen. OLEDs emit light themselves so if the elements are not all the same, you will get variations. An LCD has backlight that generates light so on a per pixel basis it does not vary (although they also have uniformity issues due to distribution of the back lights).

2. Aging. I have seen phone OLED displays that have pixels that are burned in. Some of the colors will age faster than others. One solution may be to not drive them as hard but then the colors will be wrong.

For these reasons, it is best to not jump into OLED pool right away. We need to see some mileage on them and measurements. The guys at the show had become very clever showing content that made it almost impossible to determine these things from them.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thanks for the report Amir. Yeah, the contrast, blacks, and to me, color depth of OLEDs really stands out, but the fabrication issues with dead pixels and low yields makes them not viable now IMO.

Nothing revolutionary, but in a brief look I was impressed with the new Panasonic plasmas.

Got into a conversation with Joe Kane of ISF who's pushing for a 10 bit, 4:2:2 color subsampling '4K' disc/streaming standard. Streaming bandwidth issues aside, he feels that if he doesn't succeed in getting this on the table and accepted now, before the standard is set, whatever new format that takes hold will be just a fraction qualitatively of what it should be. Apparently the manufacturers, etc. are discussing 8 bit and something like 4:2:0

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Why can't they get their act together and create all "alive" pixels?

There are other issues too (Panasonic plasmas buzzing, Samsung plasmas light pulsating, ...), but the dead pixels are truly killing me!

* Can't wait for part "deux". :b

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks Amir, in my case I am not an early-adopter as for HD screens, my Runco projector is 4 years old now (1080) and serves me well to project a 100 inch picture. maybe later this year I will consider changing that for a flat panel 90 inch monitor or just upgrade to another projector - maybe OLED by that tine will start to enter the flat side of the technology curve.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing