Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There was a time, a few decades past, when I could eat anywhere I wanted to and not blink at the price for even a second, but I never did. Places like the ones mentioned aren't necessarily about food, but rather the stature that some guide has graciously bestowed on them. That's not say these aren't some very fine restaurants with very capable expert chefs, but the pricing is so obscene that it it borders on vulgarity. It was important for many of my friends at the time to be able to say they ate here, bought that, went there.....I never got caught up in that.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes the prices can be obscene but when I look at some of the dishes and see the skill and labor applied, I can't help but understand why they charge so much.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes the prices can be obscene but when I look at some of the dishes and see the skill and labor applied, I can't help but understand why they charge so much.

I look at it as a fine art form which comes with a price. John is saying he'd rather hang his art on the wall rather than poop it out the next day :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I look at it as a fine art form which comes with a price. John is saying he'd rather hang his art on the wall rather than poop it out the next day :)

Can't say I blame him. However, memories are forever, at least until alzheimer gets ya. I try to cook so I know how hard a lot of the things haute cuisine chefs do. A lot of it makes making souffles look like child's play. Heck, even my wife makes souffles. Sorry honey. LOL.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah. My favorite restaurant is in the market itself where they show the fish being cleaned and such. As I noted earlier, it outclasses some of the highest end sushi restaurants in quality. If you get there by 7:00am, the wait will be more than an hour! I get there at 6:00am to beat the rush. Fortunately, 6:00am then is dinner time here so waking up is not hard and sushi for breakfast is not so odd!

That said, there are two distinct classes of high-end sushi in my book. One is the super quality of the everyday place I go to. And the one in this video and other I mentioned. They are almost like different experiences. Maybe it is like having some great southern food and french. Both can be amazing for different reasons.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Ah. My favorite restaurant is in the market itself where they show the fish being cleaned and such. As I noted earlier, it outclasses some of the highest end sushi restaurants in quality. If you get there by 7:00am, the wait will be more than an hour! I get there at 6:00am to beat the rush. Fortunately, 6:00am then is dinner time here so waking up is not hard and sushi for breakfast is not so odd!

That said, there are two distinct classes of high-end sushi in my book. One is the super quality of the everyday place I go to. And the one in this video and other I mentioned. They are almost like different experiences. Maybe it is like having some great southern food and french. Both can be amazing for different reasons.

was it Daiwa Sushi at Tsukiji? the pic below is at Daiwa with my wife and dear friend Suzuki-san (displaying obligatory peace sign). he's a 30-year vet of Tsukiji and gave us a 4-hr back stage tour. we actualy didnt wait the necessary 2-3 hrs to get a seat--this was at 6 AM--he got us in the back door. earlier, we met his yakuza-looking friend that owns Daiwa and is also a major trader at Tsukiji. The fish served at Daiwa was the best availble that day, same stuff that sells in Ginza for 50-100...a piece! dont know what our meals cost it was comped -- but for sure a lot less than Ginza restuarants.

I actually enjoy Kansai style over Edo style (Tokyo) some of the very best sushi ive ever eaten in Japan were at nondescript sushi-yas in Osaka.

Attachments

• DSCN0619..jpg
    DSCN0619..jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0600..jpg
    DSCN0600..jpg
    263 KB · Views: 88

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
was it Daiwa Sushi at Tsukiji?
Yes!

I still remember the first time I went there. I work up early and was going to go to the market. I do a google and this restaurant shows up on everyone's trip report to the market. I go there and see this incredible zoo of fish stalls and such as you have seen. How the heck am I going to find this place? The name was in Kanji characters and not in English. I walked and walked and walked. I finally see this long line in this little alley and figured it would be it and it was. There are actually two of them. One is run by the father and the other the son. Looks like you were at the Son's. I have a slight preference for the father. Both as you said are superb. I have taken Japanese there who did not know about it and they were shocked how good it was.

As to Yakuza, there are all kind of stories on how they have their own set of laws at Tsukiji market and folks get punished in the dark of the night.

Back to Daiwa, there are so many tourist who go there that they expect you to not know a thing about sushi or how to order. Half the time I got there I would get looks and giggles from girls and such thinking I had no idea what I was going to eat. Little did they know that I learned the bit of Japanese I did just so that I can order and eat Sushi. :D Imagine their shock when I would ask in Japanese if they had certain thing and whether it was fresh then. By that time the sushi chef would also be very impressed. Unfortunately he would then assume I am fluent in Japanese and start speaking to me as such :). Boy, do I miss my Japanese trips. I am tempted to go there just to have sushi and other great food there.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
As to Yakuza, there are all kind of stories on how they have their own set of laws at Tsukiji market and folks get punished in the dark of the night.

the cosa nostra is alive and well at Tsukiji. they guy we met, i guess the son, was in his mid-50s and chewed on a stogie incessantly. when suzuki-san introduced me, he said "I know a Robert...Robert DeNiro" and laughed at his own joke. he cleary loves gangster movies. his claim to fame was a new benz s-class every 6-mos because he didnt remove his boots. one can only wonder what those cars smelled like. good times.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing