MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My wife's been pestering me to go to Per Se every time we visit NYC, and now I know how much I am saving :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's been on Food Network TV, and branded as the best sushi on the planet... Hmm...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I've been to Per Se -- it was worth every penny. Sat next to Robert DeNiro on one side and Health Ledger/Michelle Williams on the other. A peak experience. Great setting at Columbus Circle.

The French Laundry is amazing. Go for lunch, avoid the crowds and save a lot of money.

I have a friend who was taken out for a business dinner at Masai -- the bill was over $800 per person including drinks. He said that the sushi at Nishino's here in Seattle was better at 10% the price.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
how about that little sushi bar that holds only 10 people
The most expensive restaurant I have been to was in Japan and it also held that many seats. Normally it would take 2 to 3 months to get seating for 2. But the people who took us out were so wealthy and well connected that they reserved the entire room for us!

I remember doing the math just for the two pieces of tuna and it came out to something like $300! One stick of wasabi that was grated with every sampling of sushi cost $70 to $90! It was an incredible meal. Fortunately I did not have to pay for it (personally or through my employer).

The highest I have paid personally has been $350 per person for tempura of all things when I took my family to Japan. And this is without drinks.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The most expensive restaurant I have been to was in Japan and it also held that many seats. Normally it would take 2 to 3 months to get seating for 2. But the people who took us out were so wealthy and well connected that they reserved the entire room for us!

I remember doing the math just for the two pieces of tuna and it came out to something like $300! One stick of wasabi that was grated with every sampling of sushi cost $70 to $90! It was an incredible meal. Fortunately I did not have to pay for it (personally or through my employer).

The highest I have paid personally has been $350 per person for tempura of all things when I took my family to Japan. And this is without drinks.

Wasn't there a movie about a Michelin rated sushi bar in Tokyo that is in a subway station?

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
alsace

This one will not only make you drool but empty your pocket books north of $1000 for a party of 2

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/americas-10-most-expensive-restaurants-212300995.html

I mean I love eating, but it so happens I've just eaten some of the most exquisite suppers in Alsace, close to my home town Basel. Not just once, and it was just expensive.
Food is probably one of those things where you will a priori not find a best thing, but only good!
And then it is to be hoped that you like it ;-)

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I've been to Per Se and would never go back. Way over-priced. Almost unbelievable to think its owned by the same guy (T Keller) that owns the French Laundry. The Laundry is arguably one of the best meals I have ever had, whereas Per Se was totally unimpressive. The best thing about PerSe is the view of Columbus circle. And the best restaurant in New York, at least in my humble opinion, is Le Bernadin. Consistently fabulous every time. And get this- I really don't like fish!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wish I knew how much my most expensive meal was but I am pretty sure that was it. We were official guests of the Diet (Japanese Parliament) for a inter parliamentary exchange. We were hosted at a cottage in the middle of an ancient park in the heart of Tokyo. The whitest blue fin toro I've ever seen in my life. 7 course meal so exotic I didn't know what I was eating most of the time. We were served by women in Kimonos and kabuki make up. Must have been Geisha. Full tea service afterwards. The tea was so creamy and frothy from all the whisking it was almost like a sabayon. Got to shake hands with then PM Koizumi later that day and got to bang the gavel at the Diet.

Most expensive meal for two I've ever paid for myself was probably the French Laundry. Actually wouldn't have been so expensive if not for the wine.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Le Bernadin is fabulous!

I haven't been since it opened but it was fabulous. Caveat is that you have to like fish :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing