American Sound, "The Absolute Nothing"

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Perhaps it might be possible to arrange an audio vid of the turntable playing a little soul , perhaps :

wil

Jul 22, 2015
@Republicoftexas69 wrote: "Lord, :rolleyes:. Regardless I am sure it is quite the kit, though my wife thought it looked horrid. I told her no worries it is way beyond our budget."

When it comes to unaffordability —at least as far as My wallet might reach-- I understand and concur.

While I understand the eye-roll, I would like to add that, when I first saw this sculptural object at the place of manufacture, I had turned a corner ‘and there it was’: I simply could not avert my eyes.

This turntable has tremendous presence.

While I don’t know your wife, I suspect that —were she to be the kind of person who revisits things after a first impression— she might just look differently upon The Absolute Nothing, particularly were she able to experience it in person.

I happen to have been in awe of it from the moment I saw it. That said, my appreciation has grown into affection with more time spent in its company.

As we say in the car world, some vehicles are ’not for the faint of heart’. This turntable’s appearance might not appeal to all visual tastes; it’s sound, however, is its raison d’etre.
Beyond the obvious overwhelming importance of how it sounds, it’s physical and visual presence is sure to be polarizing.

I’m not a fan of “more is more” designs which I believe describes Wadax and much other gregarious gear in high end audio. I think the best designs are about what is left out rather than what is added. It can be a thin line.

It’s ironic that this design, which is to me defined by lot’s of somethings piled on more somethings, was given the title of “The Absolute Nothing.”

But still you have to admire the bravery of the thing and I bet he sells every one of them.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I like these early photos I took a month ago, before finishing was completed, because the angles show just how massive the platter is. There is a lot happening visually, but there is a purpose to every element of the design. I am generally in the "less is more camp", and love the simple look and design of my AS2000, but in this case, the facets wrapping around the surface do have a very specific function. They also break up the surface visually for reducing the scale of the object.

The very top of the worm-drive dial is visible in the top photo between the motor case and the turntable plinth. Turning the dial moves the motor mount toward and away from the platter, allowing the user to adjust thread tension and the resulting sound. The overall design is considerably more developed than is that of the AS2000. The main difference between the two designs seems to be in the control and management of resonances, both internal and external, resulting in less perceptible noise corrupting the information extracted from the grooves and then getting the information to the needle and then to the tonearm with as little mechanical influence as possible. I think this is why I heard such a sense of calm and such a large amount of musical information or resolution and energy in the presentation.

IMG_6686.JPG

IMG_6677.JPG

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There are plenty of reasons not to drop uber heavy pieces of audio gear on your foot, but with that weight AND sharp facets, even more caution needed.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
  • Haha
Reactions: djsina2

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
To me it's the most beautiful, revolutionary, forward thinking, bad ass looking piece of audio gear currently in existence...
Agreed.

Thanks for sharing PeterA.

Reactions: cdk84 and PeterA

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Its a crazy wild design, to my eyes a little less garish than Wadax, but with a certain early StarTrek alien planet gestalt. Love the strobe markings on the platter… if speed is dialed in for 33, is it automatically dialed in for 45? Or does the strobe light frequency change (since there are not two sets of markings I can see?)

Bravo to David, certainly a “no stone left unturned” effort. Maybe I’ll hear one someday.

Oct 31, 2021
This is absolutely epic! If I had to make just a tiny criticism is (in my opinion) the armboards look a bit out of place. But who cares?? Oh and only 12 will be made? Shame!

Reactions: lordcloud

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Its a crazy wild design, to my eyes a little less garish than Wadax, but with a certain early StarTrek alien planet gestalt. Love the strobe markings on the platter… if speed is dialed in for 33, is it automatically dialed in for 45? Or does the strobe light frequency change (since there are not two sets of markings I can see?)

Bravo to David, certainly a “no stone left unturned” effort. Maybe I’ll hear one someday.

Bob, the strobe frequency changes to match each speed. As you write, “no stone left unturned “. Someday there will be one in Utah for you to hear.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

The firey red of the strobe playing on the platter as if from an underground vulcanic furnace is but one of the ways light dances across multiple facets and finishes as the eye moves around it.

• Love
Reactions: cdk84

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing