Amarra Symphony with Dirac Live Impulse Response Correction

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
<snip>

The software is free to try for 14 days.
http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx

The really nice thing about DIRAC in terms of ease of use is the ability to use a different device for the input(mic ) and output( test signal ). The software compensates for the 2 different clocks.

Another question, my computer audio software is straight from iTunes. Will Dirac work with that or do I need to get Amarra as well?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Thanks guys. I'm struggling a bit with the concept, though it got clearer when Amir said think of it as EQ, not "Room EQ." Still, I've always been taught to use EQ very sparingly, and mostly to cut. It has always been my understanding boosting frequencies gets very destructive very quickly. This just looks like an awful lot of correction to me. But it it sounds good, it is good...

Tim

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Tim: try the free version. I have used Tact, Audyssey, SigTech and am now using Dirac (easily the best of the lot) on my server. It has lots of flexibility and should greatly improve your listening experience. And the default target curve (that you can modify to your hearts content), is NOT flat and is my favorite as of right now!!!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I've heard many skeptical comments about EQ in general over the years, and had developed an "old-school" pure-signal-path ethos. Dirac is a different animal. The addition of the impulse response correction is IMO a big step. I compared a cut from Rodrigo & Gabriela with and without Dirac. The presentation of each guitar was more clearly localized in space, and the strumming noises all fit into the playing much more realistically. The see-through clarity is in a different league. This is no doubt partially due to removing large bass resonances, but not only.

Tim, I understand your hesitance, as I was there too. I know you are a fan of digital and of good measurements. This is a case where the measurements clearly describe the improvement in the listening experience.

Lee

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I'm also very interested in this software. I guess a simple question to start, the "target curve" one wants to achieve, is that set by the user or by Dirac.

Either way. I have tried my own curves and I find the optimized one preset by DIRAC to sound best. I don't know for sure, but I bet they spent some time figuring out what sounds best. Their optimized curve also fits in with curves I've seen others use with similar software.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I created three other filter curves besides the default curve provided by Dirac. None of them sounded any better. I want to go back and re-measure to be sure that all my settings were correct in my preamp/processor (no additional processing, etc. being done) and compare the results to what I already have. Once you get the initial fumbling out of the way, it's very easy to do.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys. I'm struggling a bit with the concept, though it got clearer when Amir said think of it as EQ, not "Room EQ." Still, I've always been taught to use EQ very sparingly, and mostly to cut. It has always been my understanding boosting frequencies gets very destructive very quickly. This just looks like an awful lot of correction to me. But it it sounds good, it is good...

Tim
The Dirac output definitely looks "over corrected" but that is not its output it seems. It is what it wants it to be, not what it achieved. As I implied earlier, it uses a trick for fixing the dips. Instead of fixing them, it pulls the level down for all frequencies. When you do that, then the dip is not as deep. Problem is, you have lost system gain. To fix that, the overall level needs to be increased. Hence my comment about overdriving the amp and or speaker. So you are right that the safest implementation is to pull down the peaks. Going beyond can be dicey although in my experience the dips can be pulled up a few dbs.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I've noticed reduced gain in all DSPs I've tried; eg. Audiolense, Acourate and DIRAC. It's not a big deal as it prevents digital clipping. If there's insufficient voltage out of the pre, you can adjust the gain in the DAP. However, you might increase the chance of digital clipping.

Tim,
You are partially correct that non-minimum phase room dips measured from a single seated position may seem impossible to correct; eg. SBIR. However, I've found that SBIRs are way less severe when you've measured from multiple positions and combined those measurements (more like what we hear) within the same seating area. More importantly, SBIR usually don't sound the same way they measure. At any rate, most systems still have plenty of minimum phase stuff that can be corrected with way more precision using something like DIRAC than a simple PEQ. I've gone through the exercise with Nyal using REW. We set up 14 LF filters using REW. It sounded a lot better for sure. But DIRAC does so much more, especially in the time domain. It's really hard to explain unless you've heard it.

The Dirac output definitely looks "over corrected" but that is not its output it seems. It is what it wants it to be, not what it achieved. As I implied earlier, it uses a trick for fixing the dips. Instead of fixing them, it pulls the level down for all frequencies. When you do that, then the dip is not as deep. Problem is, you have lost system gain. To fix that, the overall level needs to be increased. Hence my comment about overdriving the amp and or speaker. So you are right that the safest implementation is to pull down the peaks. Going beyond can be dicey although in my experience the dips can be pulled up a few dbs.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I created three other filter curves besides the default curve provided by Dirac. None of them sounded any better. I want to go back and re-measure to be sure that all my settings were correct in my preamp/processor (no additional processing, etc. being done) and compare the results to what I already have. Once you get the initial fumbling out of the way, it's very easy to do.

Lee

I remember preferring my custom curve over the standard. Of course, men are universally know to have different preferences when it comes to curves.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I remember preferring my custom curve over the standard. Of course, men are universally know to have different preferences when it comes to curves.

I may have not come across the right adjustments to the default curve. Rooms, speakers, and personal preferences also play into finding "just right",

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I have tried my own curves and I find the optimized one preset by DIRAC to sound best. I don't know for sure, but I bet they spent some time figuring out what sounds best. Their optimized curve also fits in with curves I've seen others use with similar software.

Same here. I have tried less and more slope but none sound, to my ears, quite as "real" as the default.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Just completed a more careful run-through of the Dirac measurement cycle and am totally impressed with the results. Best $$ I've spent on audio.

Lee

I am happy you've enjoyed DIRAC. I think it's essential to real highend systems. There's no amount of money one can spend on gear or even room optimization that can replace what DIRAC does.

Michael.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Interesting thread this is.

Does Dirac, or any other soft, allow to convert a music file from for example flac to flac but equalization applied to it? In other words, the EQ would be 'hard coded' / embedded in the copied music file thus eliminating the need to have an EQ in the live audio stream?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Interesting thread this is.

Does Dirac, or any other soft, allow to convert a music file from for example flac to flac but equalization applied to it? In other words, the EQ would be 'hard coded' / embedded in the copied music file thus eliminating the need to have an EQ in the live audio stream?

I guess if you capture the corrected output file with some sort of recording software program this can be done. Bruce B. can probably shed light on this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing