Back in the Fold--of the Equalized

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
"Well, I'm back." Samwise Gamgee to Rosie at the end of The Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkein.

It has been about a year since I've applied equalization in my main system. I was so enthralled with the sound of the PS Audio Perfect Wave equipment I have been using that I happily listened around the lumps and dips in response for many months, rather than give up the warm, pristine sound of that duo by interjecting something so "gauche" as my stock TacT RCS 2.2XP AAA into the signal path just to flatten the response.

During this period I was using my TacT only as an analog-to-digital converter for necessarily analog sources such as the decoded HDCDs and SACD layers of disks, items which my PS Audio Perfect Wave transport will not handle at all (SACD layers of discs) or at least not handle properly (HDCD-encoded disks). And since the PS Audio Dynamic Duo has no A/D converter at all under the hood, sources such as the analog output from my old Sony DirecTV box which I use to play XM satellite radio stations had to be fed into the analog inputs of the TacT for conversion to a digital signal which the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC could handle. I found that the TacT's A/D output sounded best when feeding a 24/96 waveform from its digital outputs into the PS DAC, so that's what I did.

But, recently I found myself listening less and realized that I've become a bit tired of listening around frequency response hills and dales. What to do?

Initially I seriously considered converting the whole system to a surround system, perhaps using the Arcam AVR-600 which has been so extolled for great sound by J. Peter Moncrieff in IAR and Wide Screen Review. I always have been seeking greater envelopment and a decent surround system certainly does that trick better than any two-channel system ever will. If you doubt that, you've either been brainwashed by the two-channel troop or have never heard a half-way decent 7.1 surround system. I have a half-way decent surround system in my basement home theater just a few steps from my audio-only reference room. My extreme-near-field two-channel set up conjures the envelopment illusion better than any two-channel rig I've ever heard, so I think I know whereof I speak.

But I read about a lot of problems with the Arcam's firmware from users. And I know that it doesn't handle HDCD decoding or SACD in native mode either. Plus, its equalization system is not even up to the Audyssey level of quality and is no more flexible. Then there was the fact that I really wasn't sure whether even I would want to deal with being surrounded at close range by six or seven large speakers in a room the size of mine. Thus, in the end, I decided to stick with two-channel . . . at least for one more go-round of upgrades.

But I did not want to go back to the somewhat sterile and a bit bright sound of my stock TacT 2.2XP AAA feeding my Bryston 7B-SST amps. I considered re-acquiring a 31-band dual-channel analog graphic equalizer which could be inserted in my chain after the PS DAC's analog output. I did that back in my Orion days, feeding my amps and subs from the balanced analog output of a professional audio EQ unit. I used both the Rane DEQ-60L and the Audient ASP231 in this configuration and at least the Audient was very transparent.

On the other hand, graphic EQs are a pain to adjust. The Rane is the easiest of the bunch by far, but I did not cotton to its sound the last time around. And while adjusting a graphic equalizer to meet a "target" curve would be a lot easier this time around now that I have some decent measuring equipment (Liberty's SynRTA), it would still be inconvenient compared to something like the TacT system.

Parametrics are at least as difficult to adjust, I find. The Rives PARC (the first equalizer I used with my Harbeth M40s) is transparent, but limited in range to 350 Hz and below and sometimes room effects rear their heads above that frequency.

The Audyssey system in its best stand-alone variety offers sufficient response control full range, but has very little flexibility or choice in target curves. Ditto for the "automatic" room correction devices like Lyngdorf's Room Perfect.

What I wanted was a unit with a lot of EQ flexibility, one which would easily allow construction of custom target curves to suit my ears or various recordings. Units from Copland, DEQX, and Behringer were possibilities. And of course there is the TacT RCS, an incredibly flexible unit whose software I long ago mastered. If only the TacT had sound quality as good as the PS Audio Perfect Wave duo . . . .

And that, folks, is what led me to take the plunge and order up a brand-new latest edition TacT RCS 2.2XP AAA modified or enhanced by Anthony Padilla of MauiMods/Aberdeen Components. Anthony's work is universally admired by TacT owners.

I have only had the new TacT for three days now. But I knew from first fire-up that this was going to be really special. Here's what I told Anthony the day after I took my first listen:

Anthony, just a quick note to let you know that I have installed the unit in my system and given it a quick listen. I have not measured anything or applied any EQ yet. All I've done so far is just listen in 2.0 mode with just my Harbeths or 2.2 mode with the Harbeths and JL subs crossed over at 55 Hz with 4th-order slopes and a guesstimated delay.

I'm using the TacT DACs to control the volume and drive my Bryston 7B-SST amps and JL Audio f113 subs. Sources are the PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport via digital coax into the TacT's D1 input, an Oppo BDP-83SE's analog outputs (for playback of HDCD and SACD recordings) into the TacT's analog inputs, a DaySequerra M4.2r HD FM/AM tuner with AES digital output into the TacT's balanced digital input D4, and XM satellite radio via an old DirecTV box into the TacT's analog inputs. All I changed was to remove the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC and use the modified TacT instead.

[Actually, I have also removed the Perfect Wave DAC from the system so that the Perfect Wave Transport is now sitting directly on the top shelf of my Arcici Suspense rack instead of on top of the Perfect Wave DAC. I'm also using an Apogee Wyde-Eye A/D coax connection between the PS Transport and the new TacT instead of the PS silver HDMI cable which previously connected the Transport via I-squared-S to the PS DAC.]

My first reaction: this sounds FANTASTIC! I was just hoping to match the overall sound of my PS Audio Perfect Wave duo and add EQ capability without bad side effects. But this is better right out of the box. Much blacker backgrounds, greater front-to-back depth, more three-dimensionally rounded and focused images up front, more fine detail audible, seemingly greater high frequency extension and air without any hint of mid-high brightness. Tonally, no problems at all. Best of all: better "ease" in reproducing dynamic shifts from very soft to very loud, together with a subjective expansion of the dynamic range itself.

None of these were problematic before with the PS stuff and the PS bested my stock TacT in all these areas.

I'll have more to say, obviously, as I get to know the unit better, it settles in and gets through any break-in period, and I use its other functions. But just as a digital "preamp," it's already by far the best I've heard.
In response, Anthony said:

Basically the improvements you are hearing is due to reduced noise in the system. When reducing Noise, you’re reducing Jitter. Once you reach that point of reduced jitter, we take jitter down farther, with HQ Clocks and pulse transformers, and use L/C filters in key areas of the components. All DACs are limited to the quality of the digital data it is fed, regardless of any de-jittering methods that may be used. The key is to maintain the integrity of the digital data throughout the TacT RCS.

Anthony also told me that my unit has the latest Mk3 revised DSP Board and of course the Burr-Brown ASCR chip, rather than the old Analog Devices one.

Last night I measured the system (using my LinearX M31 calibrated microphone with its individual calibration curve) for the first time with the new unit, played with some target curves, inserted the proper delay for the main speakers, etc. All the familiar TacT RCS functions seen to work as reliably as they did on my old TacT. I'm using the Beta V 1.0x version of the TacT software, as before.

The TacT program works fine with my new Windows 7 operating system; the last time I used the TacT software I was running XP. If you get error messages using Windows 7 almost every time you try to enter a command, as I was at first, that is not the TacT program misbehaving. It is a Windows 7 security setting problem. In Windows Explorer, right-click on the TacT program folder, select Properties and Security. Then give yourself "Full Control" over this program. The error messages should then vanish; at least they did for me.

What's not perfect about the new TacT? Well, I'm sure I'll find a sonic something to complain about eventually. But, sonics aside, I have already suggested to Anthony and Boz that TacT, if possible, should incorporate the equivalent of a dual-channel, 31-band 1/3-octave graphic equalizer into the TacT software. I know, I know--we already have the "more sophisticated" RCS and DRC programs, plus automatic correction and 12-band parametric EQ available.

But some 1984 auditory research by one Henrik Staffelt of the Danish Technical University apparently suggests that 1/3-octave bands are "it" as far as determining the timbre of what we hear. Robert E. Greene has been talking about this research on his forum of late.

Based on my playing around with such graphic equalizers over the years, I also recommended that if TacT adds this, the 1/3-octave filters should be given the characteristics of what Rane calls "Perfect Q" so that adjacent EQ bands don't interact much, as in their DEQ-60L product. See:

http://www.rane.com/note154.html

"Perfect Q" makes such an equalizer much simpler to adjust. With "Perfect Q," a screen display of the 1/3-octave sliders would basically be WYSIWYG-- what-you-see-is-what-you-get--in terms of the alterations you make in frequency response. All other 1/3-octave units are a pain to adjust since there is considerable overlap and interaction between adjacent (and even two-away) bands.

Anthony really liked my graphic EQ suggestion and will pass it on to Boz. Hopefully, Boz will find a way to make it happen.

I'll have more to say later, and I'll include a photo or two of the inside of the box, showing Anthony's refinements versus my old stock version.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I have heard that Anthony did great work BUT I have heard from a number of people that he is unreliable to the extreme. A poster (Brucemck2) on this site (who lives in Dallas) sent him a product AND the money for an upgrade and can not get returned phone calls ---and that has been going on for 18+ months!!!! He has posted about this on AVS at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1236833&highlight=anthony+padilla.

Once I heard about this, I gave up any thought about allowing him to upgrade anything.

Buyer beware.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I have heard that Anthony did great work BUT I have heard from a number of people that he is unreliable to the extreme. A poster (Brucemck2) on this site (who lives in Dallas) sent him a product AND the money for an upgrade and can not get returned phone calls ---and that has been going on for 18+ months!!!! He has posted about this on AVS at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1236833&highlight=anthony+padilla.

Once I heard about this, I gave up any thought about allowing him to upgrade anything.

Buyer beware.

Never had any problems with Anthony or his upgrades.

As you can see from Mr.Mallin's comments, if you're listening to a stock TacT RCS you're missing a lot.

TacTical

Oct 5, 2010
AudioGuy, A NUMBER of people??? yea right.

Question for you. Do you like working for free? I don't.

When Mr. Bruce Robinson pays $15,000 that he owes for his unit, I would gladly ship his unit to him.

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
What is the price of a brand-new latest edition TacT RCS 2.2XP AAA modified or enhanced by Anthony Padilla of MauiMods/Aberdeen Components?

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
What is the price of a brand-new latest edition TacT RCS 2.2XP AAA modified or enhanced by Anthony Padilla of MauiMods/Aberdeen Components?
2.2XP DDD Base price $5,190
Add AAA (ADC/mains DAC/subs DAC) $1,670
Full enchilada Maui Mods will list out around $2,500

I'm certain Anthony, as a dealer, can make you a much better offer than the sum of the above.

As Dan says and as Tom is discovering, Anthony's mods are a substantial improvement from stock, and I've personally never had any difficulty in dealing with him.

TacTical

Oct 5, 2010
Basically If you buy a brand new unit from me, with the 2 DACS and the ADC, at list price,
You get the $2700 mod for free.

The unit will still carry the 2 year warranty..

Anthony
Mauimods

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
When Mr. Bruce Robinson pays $15,000 that he owes for his unit, I would gladly ship his unit to him.

I was going by his post on AVS referenced above where he specifically claims he paid you in full last year. If he was not accurate in his position, then I apologize for not doing more research.

If I am using an external DAC for the mains (which I am), and am currently not using any analog inputs (which I will eventually) is there much sonic benefit of getting just the upgraded power supply. I would install it myself.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I wanted to chime in on two points. I have been telling anyone who would listen for the past few years, that Anthony's full-enchilada modified TacT 2.2XP is indeed a SOA unit that far exceeds the performance of the stock unit. (For those that do not wish to do the complete modification at once, the power supply modification is the best bang for the buck place to start.) I currently use his 2.2XP for DSP and crossover purposes only between my VTL 7.5 II preamp and my Siegfried amps/Pipedreams/JL Audio Gotham subs.. I try to use as little gain as possible in the 2.2XP and therefore rely on the VTL preamp for most of the gain in the system, this avoiding the preamp gain function of the 2.2XP.

Second, concerning working with Anthony, my experience has been stellar. He does what he says he will do and the service has always been prompt. His prices, bless him, are extremely fair and his workmanship is meticulous. More than that, I have reached out to him at very odd hours in emergent situations, and he has never failed to help me out with whatever time was necessary on his part to help me through my crisis. (When one has JL Audio subs, Anthony's guidance on how to use them and set them up with the TacT 2.2XP is invaluable).

Marty

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
I mentioned that I would post photos of my old TacT 2.2XP AAA and the new one which has Anthony's latest modifications or refinements. Here they are.

First, here is the interior of my totally stock TacT 2.2XP AAA which I purchased new from TacT in, I think, 2007:

TacT 2007 RCS 2.2XP&.jpg

Next, here is the interior of the new 2010 TacT 2.2XP AAA which I recently received from Anthony Padilla with his latest full modifications/refinements. (Bending the front and back panels of the unit into a perhaps-pleasingly curved shape is not part of Anthony's modification, by the way. That's distortion from my not-so-wonderful Nikon wide-angle-to-telephoto lens at its extreme wide-angle setting. I could fix it in Photoshop, but I have better things to do, like listening to music on my newly upgraded system):

TacT 2010 RCS 2.2XP&.jpg

Finally, here is another picture of the new unit with the top cover upside down so that you can see the Dynamat Extreme which Anthony has attached to the inside of the top cover.

DSC_0848..jpg

This same material coats the left and right side walls of the chassis also. While you can't see it in these photos, Anthony tells me that Dynamat is also under the motherboard, and that the chassis has been reassembled with a light coating of silicone to eliminate harmonics. These steps solve the ringing which the older stock unit exhibited. I have used a Bright Star Audio Little Rock on top of the old TacT unit to solve the ringing problem. The Dynamat Extreme seems to have a roughly equivalent effect, judging from my ultra-scientific tap-your-finger-on-it-and-listen-to-what-sound-you-hear test.

As you can tell, there are a lot of new and different component parts in Anthony's refinement. I'm sure others here will be able to tell a lot more than I can about the nature of the modifications from examining these pictures. Have fun.

Oh, by the way, the new unit is sounding wonderful-er all the time as it gets additional playing time on it. More about that later.

Last edited:

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I have posted this before on both AVS Forum and on Audio Asylum

My experience with Anthony was neither pleasant nor professional. I paid him in full, in advance, to mod a piece of gear. The work was never completed, and the gear was never returned. It was a year long ordeal. He still has not returned the unit.

On the Real Tact Hackers Forum others have reported similar horrific experiences. Anthony routinely denigrates those posters, curses at them in email and in phone messages, and places the blame on them. I have no doubt he'll do the same with me, here on this forum.

I have no doubt that when Anthony actually does good work the work is terrific. But, when he doesn't, beware. His Better Business Bureau rating reflects the latter.

Buyer beware.

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Oh, by the way, the new unit is sounding wonderful-er all the time as it gets additional playing time on it. More about that later.

This enhanced TacT RCS 2.2XP AAA displays a neutrality lacking in other digital "preamps" I've heard. Recording quality varies more from one recording to another than I'm used to, but without ever sounding "ruthlessly revealing" as components which are balanced on the knife's edge of acceptable tonal balance frequently are. Bright, thin recordings are revealed or reported as such, but without any obnoxious nastiness.

Same goes for variations in the staging or imaging captured by the recording technique. I can hear more clearly than ever the well-organized excellences of simple single-point miking and Decca-tree miking. I can hear the pleasantly large but relatively diffuse/smeared layout of three-spaced-omni recordings, where the instrumental images are a bit smeared out or even multiplied as phantoms by being picked up from several widely separated mikes. These effects are more obvious, but just reported more clearly, not obnoxious.

I really do not miss the absence of the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC's apodizing filters at all. Those filters were clearly the best of the pack on the PS, removing a certain bit of remaining "digitalis" the other filters had. But the DACs of this refined TacT are at least as pleasant sounding and, as stated, seemingly more revealing of recording differences.

The unit really needs to be kept on all the time to sound its best. This is true with most gear, I've found, but even more so here. Even brief powering down, such as necessary or at least recommended by TacT when connecting the measuring microphone, takes the sonics down several notches for a day or so after that brief power interruption.

Functionally, the latest TacT Beta V 1.0 software is definitely less "buggy" now than when I last used it a year or so ago. I find the load target with preview function very helpful visually since it allows you to see the shape of the target curve you are loading into a preset as you load it. Same goes for the fact that the target button now displays the name of the applied target curve if you mouse over the button. These were functions I'd suggested be added and TacT listened.

One remaining quirk in the software is the lack of any means (that I can yet find, at least) of manipulating the use of the microphone calibration file from the computer screen. You can load and save the mic calibration file from the computer screen, but you cannot actually tell the TacT to use it or not use it from the computer. Some may think that once the calibration file is loaded and saved that the TacT will automatically use that file in computing the corrections it applies. That is not true. To actually use the microphone calibration file, you must make sure the Mic Cal function is displayed as "On" via the unit's front panel. This is within the RSC/DRC menu, under MSR. Even with my LinearX M31 measuring microphone, there is a significant sonic difference between engaging the mike calibration file and not doing so. Despite this quirk, once you know it is there, you can fix the problem if it exists. Once the mic cal file is "on," the TacT will automatically recalculate correction curves it applies. There is no need to remeasure the system with the calibration file turned on. The placement of the target curve on the screen will also alter once the measurement file is reloaded if you newly turned the mike calibration file on or off.

Another software problem is, I think, more serious. There is no reliable way I have yet found to actually have the TacT measure the frequency response of the system with the crossover and target curves applied. (Perhaps this is the reason for the Calculator function--it computes the theoretical response based on the measured unequalized response plus the applied filters and crossovers.) The measurement sequence proceeds and you get results, but the displayed results are more often obviously incorrect than correct. You can even tell just by listening to the test signals whether the TacT is going to make a proper measurement or not. I was hoping to again use the measurements taken with crossover and target curve applied to compute the actual delay I should apply to the main speaker signals relative to the subwoofers. My thought is that taking measurements in this manner would capture the actual path length delay PLUS any digital computation latency the filters introduce for any given setting of target curve and crossovers. No such luck yet; I have yet to get consistent readings from one trial to the next. Such measurements were also tricky when last I attempted this a year ago.

So far I have just been using the type of target curves I know from past experience yield natural sounding results with Harbeth M40/40.1 speakers. Since I find nothing at all sonically objectionable with the unequalized response above about 1 kHz (in fact, in this respect, these are the most natural speakers I've ever heard and one big reason I bought them in the first place), I draw a single target curve to follow the average measured response of the two channels above 1 kHz as closely as the software will allow. Alternatively, I could just use the variable frequency correction function of the new software and have the TacT only apply a target curve below 1 kHz or any other chosen stop-frequency.

In the low frequencies, I use something like the tailoring provided by the QS-20.cor pre-made target curve or, for a bit more bass, the QS-20A.cor target. Another target I have found to be exceptionally natural sounding with these speakers in my room is to customize the target to follow the anechoic response of the M40s as shown in this curve below 200 Hz, and then extend the maximum bass level, which I interpret to be about +2.7 dB, down to 20 Hz, and then roll off the bass target steeply below 20 Hz. I cross my JL f113 stereo subs over to my Harbeth M40.1s at 55 Hz, with 4th order (24 dB/octave) high- and low-pass crossovers.

The mention of the crossover slope brings me to my final sonic comments--for now. Whatever modifications Anthony has performed have not cured the higher-order crossover filters available with the TacT (up to 24th order, which is 144 dB/octave) of introducing a bit of brightness/brittleness to the sound. Fourth-order crossovers sound most wonderful. Above that steepness, the sound begins to get brighter and less natural, to my ears. A 16th-order crossover still sounds quite nice, but not as natural as 4th order.

I don't want to make too much of this problem. Owners of speakers less natural sounding in the midrange than the Harbeths--and that is most other speakers--may not notice this much, if at all. Even with the Harbeths, it took me quite awhile to hear this effect. And Anthony's enhancements make the TacT's best sonics so excellent that the bit of deterioration which occurs at high-order crossovers much more acceptable than it is in my old stock TacT unit. But to hear the true magic of Anthony's enhancements to the TacT at its very best, I suggest using 4th-order or less steep crossovers if you are using subwoofers.

Also, with the Harbeths, I prefer using a low crossover point between the subs and the Harbeths. While the JLs are great subs, the Harbeths sound THEIR best when operated close to full range rather than limited to "mini-monitor" response by crossing them over at 80, 100, or even higher Hertz. And, when the main speakers are as good as the Harbeth M40.1s, I want to maximize their goodness, not the goodness of the range covered by the subs. Yes, there is a bit of tradeoff here. Crossing over at a higher frequency adds a further bit of clarity to the sound and allows yet-higher playback levels, both in the bass and higher up. But, on balance, I'll gladly take the more natural tonality which results from a low crossover to the Harbeths. With other speakers, the tradeoffs could well be subjectively different.

TacTical

Oct 5, 2010
Bruce,
You must be confused with someone else. The Yahoo group called "The Real TacT Hackers Forum" Is my own forum, which I help many users to get the most out of their TacT gear. I do not do any of those actions you claim. I have several hundreds of happy customers with my work. The BBB rating is due to the fact they are unable to find a business license on file for my company. This is because my shop is located at my residence and I do strictly Mail order, and according to Nevada Corporation Law, I do not have to have a business licence. The only complaint was from an known Upgrade Company, who attempted to tarnish my reputation.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
There is no reliable way I have yet found to actually have the TacT measure the frequency response of the system with the crossover and target curves applied. (Perhaps this is the reason for the Calculator function--it computes the theoretical response based on the measured unequalized response plus the applied filters and crossovers.)

There is actually a way to measure the effects of the filters. Place the measured and implemented results (Target, measurements, filters, crossovers) you want to validate in, for example, memory 1. Then re-measure but select memory position 1 instead of bypass and it will measure through the filter/cross over. It won't look much like the "calculated" response.

A better approach is to use an external measuring system like REW or XTZ or OmniMic. The resolution of the TacT curves is not granular enough to see what is really going on!!!

Last edited:

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
After a year of using equalisation with the Tact, how are you getting on with it.

For about five years I've been using a Behringer DEQ2496 in digital. It sits between my Transport and DAC. In the past I've equalised the full range of frequencies and used curves suggested on line and, with a nearfield set up, have been reasonably happy. However of late, after moving my set up into a bigger room and re measuring, I've been less happy (compounded unfortunately with a problem I had with my speaker that's left me sort of listening out for problems!).

I also read Floyd Toole's book and this led me to experiment a bit, particularly with off wall reflections which I had tried to elliminate in the past. Lately I tried another idea suggested, I think, in his book, and just equalised up to 315Hz. I haven't given this a full listen yet but it's much better then I expected.

We're always learning aren't we.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Looking at the mods, several caps on the boards look to be blackgate std 47uf 50v. I'm in the wrong business(actually retired) and don't charge enough.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
After a year of using equalisation with the Tact, how are you getting on with it.

If you are addressing me, I couldn't be without some form of time based (not frequency based) room correction. The TacT is not perfect but I am not aware of any other product that I am willing to move to at this time - either two channel or multi-channel. There are some products on the horizon that might be better (or might not) and once they are "real" I will further investigate. In the category are the Lexicon and the AP20 with Dirac Live as well as an offering by ADA (but out of my price range and requires double conversion).

I am not a fan of frequency based (parametric or otherwise) EQ but that is just me. That TacT gets me great sound as a room correction device but just as (or maybe more so) importantly, does a phenomenal job of integrating sub-woofers with my mains.

The TacT also provides that ability to instantly switch target curves. 95% percent of my listening is done with a target curve that when measured externally will provide "flat" response. But when I'm listening to some rock music and would like a bit more bass, I select and different target curve with a single push of a button on the remote and I have sound that better fits the music.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Hipper, Chuck (audioguy) covered all the major points and I couldn't agree more with his assessment of the benefits from the TacT as regards room correction and highly flexible sub integration. I would add, pursuant to your "just equalized up to 315Hz" comment, that the TacT provides "variable" correction, so that you can elect to EQ only up to a frequency of your choosing, selectable between 30Hz and 10,000Hz.

/Ken

@ Chuck: Boz isn't standing still, either ;-)

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Looking at the mods, several caps on the boards look to be blackgate std 47uf 50v. I'm in the wrong business(actually retired) and don't charge enough.

AP may have used some BGs on Tom's Analog & Digital cards. The he caps used on my RCS were Rubycon ZA, ZL or ZLG.

There's a lot more to AP's TacT RCS upgrade than just replacing a few caps.

Anyone that's listening to a stock TacT RCS is missing a lot.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing