Amarra Symphony with Dirac Live Impulse Response Correction

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I'm very interested in this.
Can someone please let me know how difficult it is to use?
It's very easy. It requires no technical skills. You must have a calibrated mic and an ADC. IMO, a good place to start would be the TASCAM US-366 and the emm-6 cross spectrum labs mic. That's what I sent Lee to get him going. You can get even better results with more expensive gear but that's really not necessary.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BG6ZM8W/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?pc_redir=1387631617

http://www.cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_dayton.html

The software is free to try for 14 days.
http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx

The really nice thing about DIRAC in terms of ease of use is the ability to use a different device for the input(mic ) and output( test signal ). The software compensates for the 2 different clocks.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
It's very easy. It requires no technical skills. You must have a calibrated mic and an ADC. IMO, a good place to start would be the TASCAM US-366 and the emm-6 cross spectrum labs mic. That's what I sent Lee to get him going. You can get even better results with more expensive gear but that's really not necessary.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BG6ZM8W/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?pc_redir=1387631617

http://www.cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_dayton.html

The software is free to try for 14 days.
http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx

The really nice thing about DIRAC in terms of ease of use is the ability to use a different device for the input(mic ) and output( test signal ). The software compensates for the 2 different clocks.

If I could do it, anyone here can.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The Dirac IRC comes with 4 filter slots so you can create one "ideal" filter (the orange reference line in the graphs) and a few others that boost bass or treble (or instance) to compensate somewhat for bad recordings.

Lee

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Only problem I had was getting Dirac to see my mic preamp, which apparently happens when you use a shared USB controller. The software warned for that though.
I know you had a problem sending the test signal out via your MSB. I think DIRAC measurements would be way simpler if you just used a single device to go out and in. That's the way I do it. I did that with thee TASCAM and now do it with my RME sound card and grace m101 mic pre. I also couldn't get a legit measurements out my totaldac due to the anti-jitter buffer.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I know you had a problem sending the test signal out via your MSB. I think DIRAC measurements would be way simpler if you just used a single device to go out and in. That's the way I do it. I did that with thee TASCAM and now do it with my RME sound card and grace m101 mic pre. I also couldn't get a legit measurements out my totaldac due to the anti-jitter buffer.

I believe I did my Dirac calibration (trial version) way back when before I had the MSB. Irrespectively, the MSB allows you to turn reclocking / buffering off, so there is no system delay and I should not have a problem.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I wonder about this stuff. I'm a big believer in EQ. But over-treated rooms don't sound good. Headphones (usual IEMs) with dead-flat output don't sound good. And it's no wonder. We live in rooms. We listen to nearly everything in rooms. Sound, altered by rooms, is what sounds natural to humans. We're incredibly adaptable and I'm sure we can get accustomed to listening in a room corrected to flat. But I wonder, what sounds more like real music? A good-sounding room, or a room with no sound at all?

Tim

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I don't think flat sounds good either. If you look at the target curves posted herein, you'll notice they aren't flat. You should give it a try.

I wonder about this stuff. I'm a big believer in EQ. But over-treated rooms don't sound good. Headphones (usual IEMs) with dead-flat output don't sound good. And it's no wonder. We live in rooms. We listen to nearly everything in rooms. Sound, altered by rooms, is what sounds natural to humans. We're incredibly adaptable and I'm sure we can get accustomed to listening in a room corrected to flat. But I wonder, what sounds more like real music? A good-sounding room, or a room with no sound at all?

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't think flat sounds good either. If you look at the target curves posted herein, you'll notice they aren't flat. You should give it a try.

They look pretty flat. What am I missing?

Tim

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

You go from + 3db to - 3db across the 20Hz - 10Khz spectrum. This is not flat, but more flat than my target curve.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Where does the target come from?

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
They look pretty flat. What am I missing?

Tim
Research shows that the curve must be *smooth*. What the slope is, is something you can play with.

On your earlier point, the device cannot get rid of the room in that there will still be reflections. For this reason, the correct name is EQ, not "room" EQ. The room is the room and can never be changed :). It may also pay to only correct below a few hundred hertz where we know the room does bad things in how it distorts the frequency response. Above that, is a function of the speaker and making corrections on the wrong one can result in net negative performance. Listening test is always critical to know if there is positive effect or not.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I used to think the same thing with regard to full range correction and HF. With DIRAC, I really don't hear negative effects in the HF. To me, the correction sounds more right even at the top end.

Tim,

One thing to consider is that the FR is only half of the picture. The impulse response greatly affects things as well.
Research shows that the curve must be *smooth*. What the slope is, is something you can play with.

On your earlier point, the device cannot get rid of the room in that there will still be reflections. For this reason, the correct name is EQ, not "room" EQ. The room is the room and can never be changed :). It may also pay to only correct below a few hundred hertz where we know the room does bad things in how it distorts the frequency response. Above that, is a function of the speaker and making corrections on the wrong one can result in net negative performance. Listening test is always critical to know if there is positive effect or not.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I used to think the same thing with regard to full range correction and HF. With DIRAC, I really don't hear negative effects in the HF. To me, the correction sounds more right even at the top end.

Tim,

One thing to consider is that the FR is only half of the picture. The impulse response greatly affects things as well.

I created a filter that only did low frequencies in Dirac. Did not sound as good as full range.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Tim,

Apologies for the ignorant questions, but what is the impulse response?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing