Alexandria three-dimensionality?

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
lol!!!

If I hadn't ID'd you, you would have continued to degrade WA products here just like you do on AA to promote your current line of products.

IMO, you represent everything that's wrong with this hobby.

Jap,
I've thought more about your response, and I think you are right ,and I am wrong ( not about being what's wrong with this industry, though).
Upon consideration, I don't think it is possible for me to appear un biased, and I don't want to have to try to prove that my beliefs are, or are not influenced by business related decisions. I participate on forums in other industries as well, so I can understand your assumptions.
I do enjoy this forum and others, and want to continue to participate. In order to avoid any appearence of impropriety, from here on out, my responses will only have to do with speaker set up and room position issues. I learned the Wison set up procedure when I worked there, and still believe in it and use it today. I've helped others on other forums with set up questions, and will limit my responses to those same issues here as well.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
It is a bit ironic, I know. Thank you for your welcome and kind words. I would like to respectfully ask all forum members to refrain from bring Peter into this. I will be happy to answer most all questions, bur Peter was a mentor of mine - I learned a lot from him, and he really shouldn't be brought into any of this in fun.

Thank you

No problem Mark, Peter was the original tape project guy, I was privy to a few of his tape demos at SC , many moons ago ...:)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim and trponhunter. I hate to say it but you guys are totally clueless in the set up if the Alexandria EACH upper module adjusts back and forth and up and down and images right at my ears. Before you start blowing smoke about faulty speaker design please get your facts correct

Well it wouldn't be the first time I was totally clueless, Steve, but I did know that the modules in the Alexandrias are adjustable. I used them as an example because they were mentioned here, because their tweeter height is appropriate to the conversation, because I have never seen a picture of them with the tweeter adjusted to an angle that would point it at seated ears 10-12 feet away and because pointing a speaker down, from a high position, is not the same has having that speaker at ear level. If Wilson has solved this puzzle, they have my congratulations.

Tim

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
No problem Mark, Peter was the original tape project guy, I was privy to a few of his tape demos at SC , many moons ago ...:)

I guess that depends on your perspective and definition. I can think of lots of other names.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Jap,
I've thought more about your response, and I think you are right ,and I am wrong ( not about being what's wrong with this industry, though).
Upon consideration, I don't think it is possible for me to appear un biased, and I don't want to have to try to prove that my beliefs are, or are not influenced by business related decisions. I participate on forums in other industries as well, so I can understand your assumptions.
I do enjoy this forum and others, and want to continue to participate. In order to avoid any appearence of impropriety, from here on out, my responses will only have to do with speaker set up and room position issues. I learned the Wison set up procedure when I worked there, and still believe in it and use it today. I've helped others on other forums with set up questions, and will limit my responses to those same issues here as well.
Most of the guys here Just put it in tbeir signature line

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
I guess that depends on your perspective and definition. I can think of lots of other names.

Aren't all discussion from ones perspective, please name names, dates , I'm aware of others Including Levinson , Peter was the first selling and demoing Hi-fi for me , my other tape experiences back then were in recording studios or musician friends playing back studio mixes at home ....

(Late 70's)

Regards ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I still become astonished when very experienced people make broad and general statements about sound quality of loudspeakers based in specific aspects such as enclosure diffraction or tweeter height , and manage to associate their preference to these specific particular aspects, ignoring all others. And most of it, how naively they manage to associate their preference with physics, expecting to have the chaperon of science on their findings and attributing others preference to magic.

BTW, I respect all the speaker manufacturers referred until now in this thread and would happily live with a pair of their top speakers. But I am sure that the systems that I would develop around them would be very different.

BTW2 I hope that no one referred to Bose and I did not notice it! ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Aren't all discussion from ones perspective, please name names, dates , I'm aware of others Including Levinson , Peter was the first selling and demoing Hi-fi for me , my other tape experiences back then were in recording studios or musician friends playing back studio mixes at home ....

(Late 70's)

Regards ...

Weren't the 60s and 70s all one huge "Tape Project?" Audiophiles have gotten lazy over the years; back then, audiophiles not only built their own equipment but made their own recordings vis a vis, the regular column on tape recording by JGH in the somewhat irregularly published Stereophile.

I remember others such as Arnie Nudell using second gen R2R tapes (he at one time had one of the largest tape collections in the world) to demo his Infinity speakers at numerous NY Shows. (as did other manufuacturers that now escape my memory.)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What year was Nudell using tapes to demo Infinity speakers ...?

Late '70s, early '80s IIRC. I remember him using R2R source material all the way up to the intro of the Betas.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I also have heard a lot of speakers do three-dimensionality. But the difference with Alexandria is that even on "crappy" recordings, the Alexandria arranges the musicians palpably on stage and they shoot three-dimensional, genuine, and natural beams of sonic energy at you, creating immense realism. Maxx 3 can't do that, for whatever reason - it sounds very flat in comparison. Neither can most speakers existing in the world.

For those who haven't heard it, I recommend an audition.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
-- Three-dimensional, is that like holographic? ...Width, depth, and central space.
...Height? ;)

Problem is 3D doesn't exist on most recordings, esp those of the digital persuasion and more recent releases. One hasn't heard dimensionality until you've heard 15 or 30 ips tape.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Good point Myles; and some speaker's manufacturers praising the benefits of 3D from their loudspeakers when using a turntable or a CD player!

Myles, is there some 3D in multichannel SACDs? ...Blu-ray Audios only?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
-- Good point Myles; and some speaker's manufacturers praising the benefits of 3D from their loudspeakers when using a turntable or a CD player!

Myles, is there some 3D in multichannel SACDs? ...Blu-ray Audios only?

You're asking the wrong person. Perhaps Kal.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing