Adele 25

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Exactly. Point being is Adele obviously has a unique package of vocal chops, songwriting, girl next door image and charisma, but strictly in terms of vocals, many female singers are easily in her league.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Maybe the issue here is not Adele being overrated as a female vocalist, but Anita baker being underrated, and they both belong in the small pantheon of female singers. I'll ponder that possibility.

If this is turning into a list of underrated female vocalists, can I add Oleta Adams?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Exactly. Point being is Adele obviously has a unique package of vocal chops, songwriting, girl next door image and charisma, but strictly in terms of vocals, many female singers are easily in her league.

There are probably a thousand vocalists singing in bars and karaoke clubs and taking the 2am slot in Vegas who could run rings around Adele. In terms of sheer vocal chops, Billie, Ella, Etta, Mahalia and Aretha would be slaughtered. But is that what makes someone an artist? Vocal pyrotechnics?

I think what many respond to in Adele is the same thing they respond to in Patti Smith, or Bob Dylan, or Bono, or Johnny Cash, or Madonna. They're not cultural icons because they sing better than everyone else, but because they had something to say, and said it in a way that no one else could.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
One thing for sure Amir the ladies featured in these videos are certainly good at one thing, close eyes and howl every 15 seconds! Like they're all in the middle of a colonic and someone keeps squeezing their bag :eek:!

Man that is good stuff:

david

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
One thing for sure Amir the ladies featured in these videos are certainly good at one thing, close eyes and howl every 15 seconds! Like they're all in the middle of a colonic and someone keeps squeezing their bag :eek:!

david
Yeh it is a talent show and they overdo it usually on that front. It is what gets the applause. But beyond that, I found it enjoyable to watch.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
There are probably a thousand vocalists singing in bars and karaoke clubs and taking the 2am slot in Vegas who could run rings around Adele. In terms of sheer vocal chops, Billie, Ella, Etta, Mahalia and Aretha would be slaughtered. But is that what makes someone an artist? Vocal pyrotechnics?

I think what many respond to in Adele is the same thing they respond to in Patti Smith, or Bob Dylan, or Bono, or Johnny Cash, or Madonna. They're not cultural icons because they sing better than everyone else, but because they had something to say, and said it in a way that no one else could.

Nicely stated. +1

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, with all the activity in this thread, I didn't want to wait for the LPs to arrive, and I checked the new album out on Tidal... Very, very underwhelmed. It seemed she (or her producers) wanted to "modernize" all of a sudden, with lots of electronic touches. That all just left me cold. The previous album, bad production notwithstanding, was soulful. This one is plastic, uninspired, fake even.

I still like "21", but this one, well... Maybe I'm not her public anymore...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Yeh it is a talent show and they overdo it usually on that front. It is what gets the applause. But beyond that, I found it enjoyable to watch.
Check the videos, same thing with all of them.
david

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Well, with all the activity in this thread, I didn't want to wait for the LPs to arrive, and I checked the new album out on Tidal... Very, very underwhelmed. It seemed she (or her producers) wanted to "modernize" all of a sudden, with lots of electronic touches. That all just left me cold. The previous album, bad production notwithstanding, was soulful. This one is plastic, uninspired, fake even.

I still like "21", but this one, well... Maybe I'm not her public anymore...
Let me know how you found 25 on Tidal. As I understand she has not allowed 25 on streamiming services as of now. I tried to play it thru Sooloos via Tidal but it isn't there.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
David,

Just to stir things up does that mean you don't like Sinatra or Bing?

Right there is what's wrong Bob, never heard a pop song or artist I liked, except one, Donna Summers's Love to Love You Baby, long version. It was the that "Aaah" of hers that mesmerized ;)

david

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Big +1 from me also. Will be interesting to see how she develops and where she wants to go. Her first album is full of catchy pop radio tunes so she obviously let some songwriting machine take over but I understand that as she needs to find her ground. For a time I have occasionally surfed looking for those "best audition" videos. It amazing to me that there are as many out there that managed to capture a moment. Most don't have the chops to follow up or sustain.

Thanks for posting that. I thoroughly enjoyed it. How a 16 year old can pull that kind of emotion out to write and perform a song in such a believable way, is something I can't explain. She moved the entire auditorium and the judges. Did the same to me.

Yes, she needs a bit more maturity and coaching for her vocals but that can be done. Making her a real singer with heart, can't.

Anyone wants to pull my musical license for liking something like this, go ahead. This is your chance. :D

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Let me know how you found 25 on Tidal. As I understand she has not allowed 25 on streamiming services as of now. I tried to play it thru Sooloos via Tidal but it isn't there.

Jim,

I thought I was listening through Tidal, but upon further inspection, it was playing off our server here in the store. Someone must've put it there, it wasn't me :)
The control point app I used (Lightning DS) has integrated search, so it just found the album, and I figured it was off Tidal, since I didn't purchase/download it...

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I skipped every comment and I'm going to surmise - more pop than previous albums, tons of production. I like Adele and I think she is a good singer, but IMO she's way overrated. the PR machine in overdrive to ram her down your throat....

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Jim,

I thought I was listening through Tidal, but upon further inspection, it was playing off our server here in the store. Someone must've put it there, it wasn't me :)
The control point app I used (Lightning DS) has integrated search, so it just found the album, and I figured it was off Tidal, since I didn't purchase/download it...

BUSTED!

Closet fan..admit it! LoL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing