Adele 25

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Come on,play nice!!

cooljazz

Mar 21, 2012
TN
* If Adele was produced better, that would help, I think. But still for me; her entire aura is not vibrating my deep emotional chords. Her range is limited, her emotional impact restricted, and she simply "yell" to much, and that I cannot get over with...it leaves me "cold" and saturated. ...The voice, not Adele the young lady. ...But that voice is still hers, and it reflects her inside, with the sung words from her lungs and all. The songwriting is another important element; who wrote the words and how they are interpreted.

Adele on hi-res audio downloads, audio/files, MP3, CDs, LPs, Tapes, Cassettes, ...it don't matter much if the music and the artist's voice aren't vibrating us emotionally deep down in the crevasses of our soul and @ the precipice of emancipation.

I wonder how much of this is due to her voice problems. Indeed, how much of the production used is to "help" her out in that regard.

If you've watched the Live performance, she was really fighting it at that time and trying to cast it off as nothing. If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't too long after that she underwent treatment and I think I heard round about, didn't perform for a while. I know the treatment part for a fact, as I've visited with a gentleman from Idaho that was being treated for something similar at the same time and saw her at some leading place for this type of problem in Nashville.

Maybe that's all past, but the mentions of maybe she's still on her way up and has much, much more and better material to come leaves me fearful that she physically might not be able to attain that. Wouldn't that be a shame.

I noted the mention along through this thread at some point about this release having her singing differently. Likely, that could be due to the retraining that probably has come with her voice therapy and attempting to subject her to less stresses.

She's had some good performances to this point, just hoping she can physically continue and at some point there will be a something released that has the sonics to match.

CJ

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
On special request:

What a wonderful presentation. By the way, to hear the best fidelity, hit the youtube button to go to Youtube and then select 720p. The default 480p uses too low of a bit rate.

Sadly even at that resolution, it is a super bright recording. I compared it to her album and there the EQ is far superior with more bass. If the youtube version was not so bright, I would have been tempted to extract its audio track and listen to that.

A few more clips like this Bob and I will open the door and let you guys go free. :D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I don't get the whole "Adele" thing.

To say I don't think she's so great is an understatement and I'm shocked that in a few days this thread has gotten so long.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,

Funny on 2 levels. First my dad never really liked Ella. He much preferred Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughn, Keely Smith, Anita O'Day and several other to Ella. I managed to break through that a little.

Telling my kids they should listen to Ella, brings an interesting twist in that they think you mean Ella Henderson. Now she's only 20 and I think pretty good for her age but not quite the Ella, you and I think of.

Beau

I get your dad Beau and I like all those ladies too but I think Billy is in another class still. I had to look up Ella Henderson, never heard of before fortunately my kids are still young enough for me to not have to deal with pop crap for another couple of years :).

david

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What a wonderful presentation. By the way, to hear the best fidelity, hit the youtube button to go to Youtube and then select 720p. The default 480p uses too low of a bit rate.
Sadly even at that resolution, it is a super bright recording. I compared it to her album and there the EQ is far superior with more bass. If the youtube version was not so bright, I would have been tempted to extract its audio track and listen to that.

A few more clips like this Bob and I will open the door and let you guys go free. :D

That is excellent that Ron started this thread and that people participate like this in a music thread about one artist, Adele.
We learn more about her as we explore, and we learn to respect more who she is and the influence she has on a new generation.
With this thread I feel closer to her, closer to the people who appreciate her.

In real life if we would take the time as we do here to look from all perspectives, I think the world would be a better place.
This is the type of thread I like; Adele with her fourth album, a new pop/soul female singer, and she went through a lot already.
Amy Winehouse too went through a lot, but they are two different voices from two very different backgrounds, and style.
And Amy too her album recordings weren't stellar. ...Certainly not of the audiophile variety. ... RIP Amy

Adele is alive today, and she's a sweet young woman; I will keep following her. And if she can reach so many people it's because there is power in her that people love. I totally relate, even after all I already shared.

Learn to live learn to love.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I get your dad Beau and I like all those ladies too but I think Billy is in another class still. I had to look up Ella Henderson,
never heard of before fortunately my kids are still young enough for me to not have to deal with pop crap for another couple of years :).

david

Adele she's a romantic troubadour. Ella (I also checked other more recent videos of her) is...different; another pop genre, perhaps more energetic, more rhythmic, dancing genre. I'm more of the Adele type, between the two. Simply put; Adele I will have her four albums, Ella...none.
But the three Adele's CDs that I already have they don't get any more play. ...And 25 I don't think will fare better. Her Blu-ray I might revisit someday though.

* Our sensitivities on the artists who touch the heart/soul of people...they peacefully ignite our respect.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
[video=youtube;_614-uf83YQ]
Adele she's a romantic troubadour. Ella (I also checked other more recent videos of her) is...different; another pop genre,.

Right there is what's wrong Bob, never heard a pop song or artist I liked, except one, Donna Summers's Love to Love You Baby, long version. It was the that "Aaah" of hers that mesmerized ;)

david

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Right there is what's wrong Bob, never heard a pop song or artist I liked, except one, Donna Summers's Love to Love You Baby, long version. It was the that "Aaah" of hers that mesmerized ;)

david

That was my first post in this thread: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19012-Adele-25&p=353846&viewfull=1#post353846

I had several posts where I put the emphasis on "pop".
Growing up in my teens my first albums where Rock (Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, ...), Classical music (all the famous composers).
I slept better with classical music playing through a pair of cans. I also had Cat Stevens, Sam Phillips, Jesus Christ Super Star, and a bunch of French albums.
Later on in my late teens I started developing a new interest for Jazz music @ college. That was more...spiritual, more abstract, peaceful in the sense that I was witnessing live jazz music in a totally different environment that I never experienced before...it was like an acid down...a period of calm after all the heavy drugs. But the music was complex, calculated, ...it was the new drug.

I believe that once you're exposed to Jazz you are hooked for life, you become an addict and there is no cure. It's a very potent drug; @ first you don't realize what you're in for, you don't feel the effect, but that effect pursues you for the rest of your life.

Classical music is more like an evolution, a solid foundation, a rescue in times of extreme hardships, a calm sailing ship that doesn't sink but always rise above the highest waves so that you can see far away in line with the surface of the ocean, into the infinite horizon and above the sky where the stars live. It's like an eagle's sharp vision.

Pop music is the LYRICS and the voice's RHYTHM. The voice transports the words in your blood stream and to your heart but without impeding/dislodging the soul of the matter, the true essence which younger you got hook into...classical and jazz music. ...There are no words with Classical music, only the words of the angels (chorales), and Opera (most powerful voices in the world with the deepest emotions).
Jazz also is without words except for the Jazz singers, female jazz singers like Billie Holiday. The drug for the music addicts. ...John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Chet Bakers, ...

I don't dislike Pop music (I mentioned many names that I like in that link just above); it's just not the same intensity level...that's all.
But I still appreciate Adele and love to participate and share because I have experience in listening to her, and was interested in a her latest album.
And in my heart I know that I don't offend anyone if I say that she doesn't rock my boat. I have many albums and CDs of artist singers/musicians that I don't listen to anymore. One of the reasons I'm not shy to say is the awfulness of the recordings.
What I like about my hobby is to meet people who are pursuing further their music evolution; by searching for the very best recordings of the artists they like, be it Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, The Doors, Tangerine Drem, The Moody Blues, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, ...the closest possible to the master tapes. I don't do myself, but the people who do they fascinate me; I highly respect their doses, their oozes, their drug addiction, their tenacity for their true passion...the best music, the best recordings.

Dire Straits, J.J. Cale, Eric Clapton, ...Pop music? ...Soft Blues?

Blues is also real strong in vibrating my entire body like if was all surrounded from all sides and top and bottom by a multitude of subwoofers and guitars and harmonicas and bass guitars and drums and saxophones and trombones and trumpets. I can walk listening to the Blues and it will still imaging all over my walk.

I also like accordions, Flamenco, Gypsy music, African, Cuban, Brazilian, French, classical guitar, solo piano, International, New Age, New Wave, Alternative, Fusion, Funk, Motown, Underground Abstract Jazz and Blues.

Pop music? Soft Listening? ...Some Pop, but not many.

Acid Jazz? Sometimes.

Western, RAP, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Disco, Electronica, Bass is Bass, Punk, ...less, much less, but still a bit of it...Country, Electro Cafe, Music for Airport (Brian Eno), ...

Extreme Heavy Hate music? No way. ...Adele to the rescue. :b

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Contrarian view a propos of nothing. Adele is a great singer, but great singers are a dime a dozen and do not make great artists. Say Anita Baker can go toe to toe with her vocally any day of the week. Candice Glover outsang and her on American idol with her rendition of lovesong. What set her apart is the songwriting. The songwriting on 25 is just not that great, making this a forgettable album. Ok. Shoot me.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
In real life if we would take the time as we do here to look from all perspectives, I think the world would be a better place.
This is the type of thread I like; Adele with her fourth album, a new pop/soul female singer, and she went through a lot already.
Amy Winehouse too went through a lot, but they are two different voices from two very different backgrounds, and style.
And Amy too her album recordings weren't stellar. ...Certainly not of the audiophile variety. ... RIP Amy
It is interesting that you talk about Amy. When she passed away, i went and sampled some of her music and could not tell what the fuss was about. Then a few months ago I ran into them on one of the High Res sites and immediately took a liking to her music. Or at least some of the tracks. Can't explain it.

Truth to be told, the same happened with Adele. In both Adele and Amy, it was Ron's post here which introduced me to both. I don't listen to pop/top-20 stations on radio so had not heard of her either. I then recall Lee (RBFC) mentioning Adele and on a whim, bought her live album at Albert Hall. Then I got it and fell in love with her music and who she was. It was remarkable since there was not a song I did not like.

So while all of this about convincing you all about Adele being in jest, it did take some persistence on my part at least to get to appreciate this type of music. Thanks to both Ron and Lee for bringing this joy to my music experience.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for posting that. I thoroughly enjoyed it. How a 16 year old can pull that kind of emotion out to write and perform a song in such a believable way, is something I can't explain. She moved the entire auditorium and the judges. Did the same to me.

Yes, she needs a bit more maturity and coaching for her vocals but that can be done. Making her a real singer with heart, can't.

Anyone wants to pull my musical license for liking something like this, go ahead. This is your chance. :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Contrarian view a propos of nothing. Adele is a great singer, but great singers are a dime a dozen and do not make great artists. Say Anita Baker can go toe to toe with her vocally any day of the week. Candice Glover outsang and her on American idol with her rendition of lovesong. What set her apart is the songwriting. The songwriting on 25 is just not that great, making this a forgettable album. Ok. Shoot me.

I'm anti-gun, so no worries!:p. I will say this though. There is not a doubt in my mind that Anita Baker is one of the most talented and under-appreciated songstresses ever. I absolutely adore that woman's voice!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm anti-gun, so no worries!:p. I will say this though. There is not a doubt in my mind that Anita Baker is one of the most talented and under-appreciated songstresses ever. I absolutely adore that woman's voice!

Maybe the issue here is not Adele being overrated as a female vocalist, but Anita baker being underrated, and they both belong in the small pantheon of female singers. I'll ponder that possibility.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing