Adele 25

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hahahaha! I am a fan, I actually like most tracks off "21". But we have 3 other folks in the store, and I guess one of them put it there in the server :D

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I love following this person's site as they review various voices, including many of the women mention in the last week such as the underrated Anita Baker/Florence Welch (review explains how good her vocals are, IMO let down a bit by mixing-mastering like others mentioned before - still all relative as she is not as good as a years back-younger Mariah Carey/Striesand/etc in terms of best voices/technical ability).
http://www.divadevotee.com/p/female-vocal-range-list.html

Unfortunately their interest is more female than male singers, so not many in that section, but the site is also kept up to date with vocal analysis at gigs/events/some records/etc in the other sections.
Anyway I find it enjoyable and a great read.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I enjoy reading that site as well, even if it is mostly about pop and R&B artists. I wish there would be more inclusion of female blues artists.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I enjoy reading that site as well, even if it is mostly about pop and R&B artists. I wish there would be more inclusion of female blues artists.

Yeah with you on that!
the reviewer has great insight and would be superb if expanded to a few other good genres, I guess we just have to settle for the more day-to-day segments they do for anything that touches a bit outside of pop/R&B.
Cheers
Orb

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread before posting about Adele's 25 elsewhere. I dig the music. But my huge disappointment is the quality of the LP. First, it comes in a paper sleeve, and not only has surface noise and occasional ticks and pops, but the vinyl surface looks horrible; almost as if there are water marks on it. As to the quality, I am horribly disappointed. Its not bad in terms of dynamic range or distortion products, and the mix isn't bad, but what a totally lifeless recording!! Is this really the best we can do in pop recordings? What I want to know is whether it was a digital or analog recording. Yes, I read in this thread that the LP and CD had their own mastering, but can anybody tell me if this is a digital or analog recording? That's the key. I'm betting on the former or else the engineers were idiots. I can't believe for one minute that the CD version is significantly inferior. I went to play it on Tidal, but lo and behold, it was only available as a FLAC download for 9.99. Screw them. All told, this is a travesty. I bought the vinyl because I read somewhere it is a "must" for LP lovers. Now I feel like I just validated the Forrest Gump adage: "stupid is as stupid does". However, despite my deep chagrin in the quality of the vinyl, I still like the music and think she is indeed a talented artist.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
All told, this is a travesty.........I still like the music and think she is indeed a talented artist.
Hi, Marty. I hope you don't mind me cutting your quote short but this pretty much sums it up for me. A complete waste of talent in my book. Sorry to hear the vinyl is somewhat like the CD sound wise. I was hoping for better than what your observations were.

Tom

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's really pretty sad that we may be the only people concerned about recording quality.
I've spoken to a couple of non-a'phile Adele fans, and they have NO idea what we're all talking about. They think the music sounds just dandy.
Does the artist even care? Would Adele have heard the final mix as we hear it? Did she say "Hell, yes! I sound GREAT!", or did she say "Hmm, not sure about this?", but the label told her to think about something else, distracting her w/predictions of how many gazillion units she would shift?

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I'd be happier if the quality of the mix and/or master was better, but it it not going to stop me even one time from playing her album. Were it the other way, I'd never listen to Genesis, ELP, The Nice, Deep Purple, Gong, Eloy, Brand X, Hawkwind, The Flower Kings, Transatlantic, U.K., The Beatles, The Doors, The Who, The Stones, Cream, Allan Holdsworth, Jean Luc-Ponty, Miroslav Vitous, Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout, Tinsley Ellis, Roy Buchanan and any number of other artists.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I would sincerely love for Adele to come to my house to meet up with me. One, to thank her for her music. The other thing would be to invite her into the listening room and inform her that she will be performing for herself. I would allow her to listen and see what her feedback was. Then I would put on something simple that maybe she could relate to, like Sarah McLachlan's.....let's say Mirrorball. Allow her to pick a song and inform her that no adjustments will be made to the system at all.

I could be wrong but after that, I believe she would change her mind about the recording (if she believes it's good). In a meme posted on my Facebook feed, I saw a photo of Adele and the message was something to the affect of "I don't want to lose weight because I don't sing for peoples eyes, I sing for their ears".

Well, Adele.....my ears cringe while listening to your beautiful music. Now you have heard why. What can you do about it honey?

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Stay tuned, next show in ten minutes...... :D

On a completely different note, thanks for the compliment/kind words on the other thread today. You are missed and I mean that. ;)

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'd be happier if the quality of the mix and/or master was better, but it it not going to stop me even one time from playing her album. Were it the other way, I'd never listen to Genesis, ELP, The Nice, Deep Purple, Gong, Eloy, Brand X, Hawkwind, The Flower Kings, Transatlantic, U.K., The Beatles, The Doors, The Who, The Stones, Cream, Allan Holdsworth, Jean Luc-Ponty, Miroslav Vitous, Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout, Tinsley Ellis, Roy Buchanan and any number of other artists.

I share the exact sentiment. It goes without saying that this is not actually an indictment of the artists but rather a sense of some frustration wrought by the music and artists being underserved by those wielding the technology.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

Ron,
You've name dropped some fine musicians. But Mioslav Vitous- now that guy is on another planet completely. I was fortunate to see him live a few times. WOWZA is all I can say. Possibly the most masterful bass virtuoso in a galaxy of uber-talented jazz bass players.
Marty

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Ron,
You've name dropped some fine musicians. But Mioslav Vitous- now that guy is on another planet completely. I was fortunate to see him live a few times. WOWZA is all I can say. Possibly the most masterful bass virtuoso in a galaxy of uber-talented jazz bass players.
Marty

Sorry, but that distinct honor goes to Stanley Clarke.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Going astray from my OP, as if that never happens. Stanley Clarke? Great player. Return To Forever ... oh yes.

Miroslav Vitous? Probably a slight notch above. Victor Wooten also probably a slight notch above. And then there's Jaco... oh my.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing