Newbie tape journey - and the King/Cello

John Chapman

Jan 22, 2011
Hello!

Just wanted to say hi and thanks to all the forum members for all the helpful posts here. I'm hooked and I have not had this much fun in audio for many many years. Special thanks to Charlie King and Rich Brown - both have really helpful and very patient with my questions.

I have known Charlie for some years - having met up at audio shows and I have thought about getting into tape for a while now. What slowed me down was the same thing that most guys run into - a perceived lack of source material. Although I really like Dan and wanted to support the Tape Project the idea of having a new source just to spin those handful of tapes (even as good as they are) was not that attractive. Then at RMAF Dave Slagle introduced me to Nick Doshi ( http://www.doshiaudio.com/ ) and later that day I dropped by his room. Very nice sound and a really nice guy. Then he started up a Basie live reel and that was it. It was an audio moment and that combined with me starting to see there was actually a fair bit of music around on tape I was hooked. Charlie's 2 track tape list is wonderful and great for seeing what is around. I wish 10 years back I had got smart and dove in instead of spending and embarrassing amount of money on an SACD front end......

On getting back home I mentioned how excited I was about tape to a local friend and he promptly shows up a few days later with a Teac A6300 deck in his arms for me. Bit of a nice surprise for sure! At that point I did not know even about 4 track vs 2 track. The fellow he bought it from also included a couple reels and with some fiddling to un-cease a few bits inside it came to life. Sonically it was not so exciting yet - mostly due to the only tape I had here being a 3-3/4 IPS of some pop tunes recorded from cd's or vinyl. I grabbed a bunch of 7-1/2 IPS 4 track tapes from e-bay - pretty much any I could find to get here quickly. I grew up in the 60's and 70's so it is actually a fun subset of music to pick from. First it is not stuff I tend to have a lot of here and second much of it brings back memories or tapes I recall my dad spinning back then like Herb Alpert and many others. To top it off as long as I avoided the 'collectibles' and rock titles they were dirt cheap too.

About the time I ordered these I called Charlie to get his advice on decks and he had a Technics 1500 around that he kindly offered to pack up and send. Even before calling I had leaned enough to know that it was a 2 track higher speed machine that I'd need. It was just too tempting to get rolling that easy so I got that on the way along with the direct head output to his King / Cello 'tape stage'. I think he also had installed a 'new Nortronics head' but I am not sure of the details. I had feared shipping a heavy deck like that and originally planned on getting a local deck I could drive to scoop but he packed it great and it arrived just fine. Once it was here and powered up the fun really started. Spinning some 2 tracks along with a few master dubs I have stumbled into I am in heaven.

I can't really do much of a review in particular of how the King / Cello compares to stock or other options but the combo of the deck with the stage and the tapes is so far beyond any source I have had it is just nuts. I have been manufacturing audio stuff and doing OEM design for some time and get to play with some decent gear (some of it many times more expensive than this set of parts) but nothing is even close. Like many manufacturers I had gotten kinda out of the habit of listening just for fun - spending so much time listening for sonic testing alone zaps the fun out of it. Now every day I try and plan when I can slot in some listening and it has been ages since I was that excited about listening to music. The tapes just sound natural and the low end (the sense of the original acoustic space) just seems to extend down forever. Drums in particular are startlingly real.

Also although I am new to ebay I am getting the hang of it. Lots of tapes on the way now and a handful ( well - more like a big armful ) of Tape Project tapes are also on order.

Charlie mentioned the new heads had a higher output than typical and although I don't know what typical would be there is a lot of gain in the head/tape stage combo. He suggests 50db gain mode usually but even set to 40db there is lots of gain with my passive pre-amped systems. I look forward to trying it out as a phono stage too - that should be fun. The unit is the 'Basic' unit and so I will likely dive in and play with caps as has been suggested in some threads here.

Next up aside from gathering tapes is getting down to a tape club meeting. I am in Vancouver and Rich has kindly invited me down a few times to some Seattle based get togethers. One of these days soon it'll work out. Years back I heard Mike Lavigne's system and it is still the finest system I have ever heard and particularly the most well rounded - it play'ed everything well. That was with the Kharma's and before he moved and set up the Man Cave (Charlies apt description). Seems some of the get togethers involve some time in the cave and that would be great. Always look forward to seeing Mike at RMAF and I use similar drivers to those used in his new speakers here in a speaker I made so it would be fun to see how much better they sound down there - I am sure the Evolutions are miles ahead of the crazy creation I built here....... .

On a final note if anyone on the west coast of BC is interested in hearing some tape they are welcome to drop by or if it works out maybe I can scoop the gear up and drop by your place.

Thansk!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

BTW - curiosity question. I had been following this tape on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260723333355&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Couple of my fav artists to be sure and I thought I would take a stab at it. I was shocked how high it went price wise and curious if anyone knows why that might be? Particularly rare or sonically spectacular?

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the write-up John and welcome to the forum. It is always fun to read people's journey into new formats! I am still on the sidelines but working my way toward getting one :).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Careful Amir, you are about to enter the Dark Side that some call "analog" ;)

Welcome John and I sure agree about the revelation we hear for the first time we hear a R2R play a decent tape such as those from the Tape Project

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks for posting John. If you're ever in the Seattle area again, stop by the studio and I'll let you listen to the real Mulligan/Monk tape... plus about 3k others!

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
HI John
Glad you are enjoying the tapes and the King/Cello Technics 1500/Nortronics rig. Please post a pic of your system in a post if you get a chance. I'm hoping to set up a meeting of the NW Tape Club either next weekend or the weekend after that. We have to wait for Ki to come back from Japan.

Rich Brown

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I know. We might change the company name from Madrona Digital to Madrona Digital with a bit of analog. :D

Madrona AAD

John Chapman

Jan 22, 2011
Hello!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Love to hear that Monk / Mulligan tape and thanks Bruce for that offer. I will take some system shots soon. My systems tend to be a random collection of stuff I am testing or strange things I have dreamed up.... Never really had a system stable enough (always something new I am playing with) to really optimize it but I do hope one day to lock one down and do that. Right now I have 2 systems:

Shop system Includes FAL EXW speakers driven by Wyetech 300B amps and fed from an autoformer pre-amp using Dave Slagle's autoformers. Front ends in here are a Redpoint Table with a Conductor linear arm through some Magnequest step-ups (241D based) to a K&K phono stage and then either the DCS SACD front end or an Exemplar modded player. Also right now I have the A-6300 in here.

Larger room (18x30) system is a monster curved open baffle line array with some Accuton C90 drivers for mids and Aurum Cantus G1 ribbons (8 of each per side). 4 x TC sounds 12" open baffle bass with 2 18" Aura based subs. In hindsight I should have just bought something to plunk down but when you get crazy ideas sometimes you need to build them..... It is just now to the 'ok' stage I'd say. Crossovers still need lots of work but I can enjoy it now. This is better than many other strange creations from the past - some of those only lasted a few hours and were obviously not a good idea..... Mid/High amps are some Atmasphere M60 MK II amps I built many years back and a pair of Levinson 23.5 amps bridged on the open baffle bass. Pre-amp is a Balanced Slagleformer TAP-X based passive with built in line level crossover (using Dave's iron again) to shave off the frequencies below 200Hz to the mid/tweet amps. Mid to tweet cross is speaker level. Woofer / sub crossover is via a Behringer unit. Digital source is a balanced version of the DDAC dac kit. Finally I have the 1500 connected to Charlie's wonderful King / Cello tape stage - lately the only source I use in that room!

Thanks!

John

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Hi John
Your system sure is out of the mainstream. I'm looking forward to hearing it. Maybe we can get LyrecCanada(Harold) over from Bowen Island to have a shootout with one of his Frida decks against the K/C?
Since you are a magnetics guy, I need to pick your brain about head step up iron. I saw Dave at CES but got the impression he has zero interest in tape.

Rich Brown

John Chapman

Jan 22, 2011
Hello!

I am guessing Dave might have an interest in doing something like that - as you might guess I have been wondering the same thing. When he introduced me to Nick he did talk at length about Nicks tapes and he seemed to have been impressed with them. As mentioned the King / Cello has lots of gain but for a tube stage I would think a step-up would be a good way to get the gain needed and yet stay quiet - just as it is a great way to go with a tube phono stage.

Yes - not exactly mainstream here.... Not as crazy (or cool) as some of the stuff Dave and Jeffrey Jackson play with but fun anyway. Like to meet up with Harold if it works out some time. Easier to bring his deck here than to move the speakers - that is for sure!

Thansk!

John

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
"Larger room (18x30) system is a monster curved open baffle line array with some Accuton C90 drivers for mids and Aurum Cantus G1 ribbons (8 of each per side). 4 x TC sounds 12" open baffle bass with 2 18" Aura based subs. In hindsight I should have just bought something to plunk down but when you get crazy ideas sometimes you need to build them..... It is just now to the 'ok' stage I'd say."

Holy smokes, John... if you're calling those babies just 'ok' please call me when they're dialed!! They knocked my socks off!!!
btw, I'm officially rounding the bend to 1/2 track 15ips country!!!!
When I get my heads back from JFR, I'll have to throw (ever so gently, of course) the Sony in the trunk and swing by for a listen!
cheers, Harv.

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Hi John
Your system sure is out of the mainstream. I'm looking forward to hearing it. Maybe we can get LyrecCanada(Harold) over from Bowen Island to have a shootout with one of his Frida decks against the K/C?
Since you are a magnetics guy, I need to pick your brain about head step up iron. I saw Dave at CES but got the impression he has zero interest in tape.

Rich Brown
Now there's a party I'd like to attend! I'm hoping to get out to the island in August and have a listen to Harold's system!!
And I'm going to have to shoot John a quick email... Dying to hear the K/C and some tape through that insane setup of his!!!
I've been dying to hear a K/C since I first saw one!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing